Erythrocytosis

JC the Fox

I was wondering if anyone else who has COPD has also developed an increased level of red blood cells - especially anyone who has had stem cell therapy.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
HI JC

Haven't seen you posting lately. I hope all is well.

I have been told in the past that I had a high white cell count but not red. Is this something you have been told about your own blood?

JC the Fox

Troubles, troubles, troubles

I currently have more troubles and ailments than Carter's has Little Pills. My high red blood cell count was found last week when my VA doctor had a "routine" blood test performed (up til now, my blood tests have been very good), and I have to have another CBC done tomorrow morning. Long story short, my dizziness has become constant, and I had an episode where I had extremely blurry vision in one eye, and could not maintain balance. So, a lot more tests are being done the next couple of weeks.

Even with all that, I am still able to walk 30 minutes (without supplemental oxygen) and my O2 levels are at 95, and I recover to 97 within a minute (still without supplemental oxygen). My VA doc told me that he can still hear my lungs move air (something he had not been able to do until this time last year, following my first stem cell therapy).

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I'm sorry to hear this JC. Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to find out if your problems have anything to do with the stem cell therapy you received. I am sure there would be avid denial.

One person who got 2 treatments from BioRegenesis recently got a lung transplant. He started to deteriorate rapidly and was very lucky to receive a new lung quickly. I am told that another member is also looking to get into the transplant program. I don't believe they had the problem you have however.

The last I heard from Dr. Henry Young was a strange apology that said that I was right and he was wrong about the "boys in Las Vegas". I guess the boys were Larry Howard and Robert Cash McCloy, but I don't know that for a fact as he just said "boys". I thought the message was strange seeing that I had heard nothing from him for months. It sounds as if he may have severed his ties as well. I don't know if contacting him would do you any good anyway, but it was supposedly his methods that were used in the treatments that Dr. Royal was giving.

JC the Fox

Not looking to blame anyone

When I did an internet search (yeah, I know how reliable that can be), there was some debate as to whether or not COPD was a major contributor to high RBC counts. In addition, a number of sites mentioned stem cells (mainly bone marrow cells) in the same reports. I was NOT looking to blame my stem cell therapy for my high red blood cell levels.

Jeannine said she had no such problem; and you, Barb, apparently do not have that malady, either (and you are at greater risk, since you live at a fairly high elevation). None of the people with whom I communicate regularly that have COPD and underwent stem cell therapy have the high RBC levels, either. These facts would go a long way in dispelling any connection between stem cell therapy and erythrocytosis.

My main concern is to find out what is causing my problems and resolve them. My emphysema is not better, but not worse, so I want to concentrate on the problems that are the most bother. My dizziness is constant, and it causes me to be fatigued and nervous; in fact, I basically stay in a state of anxiety. I don't even trust myself to drive.

I don't have the desire nor the energy to pursue a vendetta.

yorkere

JC the Fox: Your Dizziness

JC the Fox:

Regarding your constant dizziness; I don't mean to play Herr Doktor, but I know a little about this kind of condition...

First, is the dizziness accompanied by a sensation that your surroundings are slowly spinning or rotating around you, or maybe moving in slightly erratic jerking movements? If so, this could be what is known as Vertigo, which can be effectively treated in a few MINUTES by a skilled practitioner..

If there is no spinning to be noted, you could be afflicted by Vestibular Hypofunction...this is a condition where the balance apparatus in the inner and middle ear starts going a bit haywire, so that mixed signals are sent to the brain, which then reports that you're dizzy. A diagnosis can be made by either an Otologist, or a qualified physical therapy dept at a local university...Treatments for this are special exercises meant to challenge the condition repeatedly over a period of time, usually a couple of months, until the Vestibular Apparatus comes back in to normal function...

Sorry, didn't mean to get wordy about this; I was stuck with this monstrous affliction for ~5.5 months; finally seem to have whupped it's butt good, only a few attempts to return so far and it's been a couple of months now...

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No, I do not have the problem you are describing JC and I have had quite a few stem cell treatments, including bone marrow extractions. My point was that I simply cannot even begin to speculate on your problem since Dr. Young apparently is the one who knows what type of treatment you got. His comments to me indicate that there was some type of problem he experienced. Not knowing what that is and not caring to pursue it either, I can only suggest you contact him if you feel there is anything he can shed light on as far as a connection to the treatments you got. I believe he still works at Mercer University and can be contacted through the school if need be.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. It has to be very frustrating to not know what is causing your problems. Did you have your red blood cells returned to you during the course of your stem cell treatment? I know this is something that was being debated before I severed my ties. I did not agree to have it done when I got treatments there. I was not comfortable with the idea. I had substantial questions about BioRegenesis and I severed my ties. It was hardly a vendetta.

alg

High red blood cell count

A high red blood cell count may occur because:

Red blood cell production increases to compensate for low oxygen levels due to poor heart or lung function

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I think we have had articles posted here or on COPDliving that substantiate that many COPD patients have heart problems. Have you been to a cardiologist JC? It just seems so odd that JC is able to exert himself like he does if it is a heart or lung problem.

The article that Jeannine posted said that the blood could become quite thick too and cause problems.

JC the Fox

Lung problem

I had an EKG done a week ago, and the results were good. However, I'm going to have an ECG performed next week - the VA doc thinks the results will be good, but he wants to be sure. I'm also having an MRI done, since a cat-scan showed that I had some brain tissue loss from one small blood vessel malfunctioning (the doc called it a mini-mini stroke). There is yet another test to check the arteries in my neck.

I was diagnosed about a year ago with BPPV, but vestibular tests a couple of months ago showed that not to be the case. Further tests by a physical therapist showed that I might have mal-disembarkment syndrome (I don't get as dizzy when I'm moving). I am doing some exercises now to "retrain" my brain, but I'm not seeing any improvement. Perhaps the thickened blood or blocked blood vessels have something to do with the dizziness. One step at a time right now.

I do, of course, have lung problems. My FEV1 is less than 30; and even though I can walk a good distance, I can not run. I avoid strenuous exertion, such as carrying heavy grocery bags for a distance, or climbing stairs. I agree that my lungs alone are not causing my dizziness. But, perhaps the resulting low oxygen levels at times may be contributing to the other problems. Hopefully, we'll find out in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
JC - Here's a quick cure for your blood - Go and donate a pint at the Red Cross for three months in a row. I am serious

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
When I had an enlarged heart and my blood was too thick, my doctor had me go to a phlebotomist who did take blood from me. It resolved my problem. I imagine your condition might exclude you from giving blood to the Red Cross, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have it done at a clinic if your doctor wants you to.

I did some more online researching and it appears that some people use just this method when they are producing too many red blood cells. Jeannine's idea may be one you should run by your doctor.