Defective gene's

alg

Question, s

If this defective gene (Below) is still defective after stem cell treatment then wouldn't the disease continue decline ? Wouldn't any progress fall to the same defects if smoking caused the gene mutations.
Wouldn't stem cell treatment have to be combined with gene treatment for effective correction ?

Just my thoughts !

US-based researchers Alireza Sadeghnejad, Jill Ohar, Eugene Bleecker and colleagues from the Wake Forest School of Medicine and Saint Louis University, looked at a disintegrin and metalloprotease (ADAM) gene known as ADAM33 in 880 long-term heavy smokers. Located on chromosome 20, ADAM33 has been linked with asthma in previous studies. This new study is unique in comparing long-term smokers with COPD versus a control group of long-term smokers without COPD.

The researchers found five single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) – human DNA sequence variations - in ADAM33 that were more frequent in the COPD group than in the group of smokers without COPD. One SNP, known as S1, had a particularly strong link to lung abnormalities. "Functional studies will be needed to evaluate the biologic significance of these polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of COPD," according to the authors.

COPD is characterized by progressive decline in lung function, and encompasses chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Almost 90% of COPD is caused by long-term cigarette smoking, yet only 25% of chronic tobacco smokers will go on to develop COPD.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I will submit your questions to Dr. Rodriguez, host of next month's Ask the Doctor.

I believe one of the biggest problems facing patients who have lung disease is that we are continually bombarded with mechanisms that make it impossible for our own stem cells to naturally help repair. Stem cell treatment adds millions more stem cells to help repair. They are infused all at once and hone in on the areas of the body that need healing.

Compare it to an army of 10 soldiers trying to fight off an army of 50 soldiers. Eventually, 1 or 2 of the 10 falls leaving even less to fend off the 50. The remaining soldiers are weakened and tired. Suddenly, 100 more troops are sent to help the remaining soldiers. Now, they have the advantage and the 50 either retreat, are destroyed or greatly weakened.

When we become severely ill, our bodies simply are unable to naturally repair. Medications treat the symptoms, they don't heal tissue.
I think Dr. Rodriguez can probably respond better, but in the meantime, I hope this helps you understand.

alg

The same process that is destroying your lungs now will continue even if you infuse 50 stem cells or 50 million the same damage that is going on now will continue until eventually all cells are killed or if you expire before then.

I believe that unless you repair the mutated DNA/genes you will only buy more time by adding stem cells as these will also be destroyed as time go's by.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The same process that is destroying your lungs now will continue even if you infuse 50 stem cells or 50 million the same damage that is going on now will continue until eventually all cells are killed or if you expire before then.

I believe that unless you repair the mutated DNA/genes you will only buy more time by adding stem cells as these will also be destroyed as time go's by.
I don't agree alg. Stem cells are healers. The mechanisms that trigger the disease may still be present unless gene therapy is done, but the progression can be drastically reduced or even stopped with an infusion of stem cells. My lung function has increased since having stem cell treatment. The constant inflammation that we are subjected to is also reduced leaving more stem cells to heal rather than just trying to keep up with the everyday damage that is occurring. That's a losing battle as we all know.

I do agree that you are buying more time and at this point stem cell treatment is not a cure, but with that time, it is also hoped that one gets an improved quality of life. For me, that's been the case. I am far healthier than I was several years ago.

Vancouverman

Well I do agree with you alg. With both of you and Barbara!

The damage in our lung-DNA will still be there! In our emphysematous lungs we wiped out lots of healthy tissue like tiny capillaries and tiny lung tubes and tiny lung-veins. Probably even the Telomerase at the end of the DNA is ruined and looks old like of a 90-year old person because of smoking damage...We also killed off the healthy stem cells in the lungs! Its called apoptosis! The remaining stem cells in the smokerslung has more the appearance of pre-cancer stem cells...I even believe in the hypothesis that COPD is a systemic diseases. And last but not least, the ex-smokers have ugly skin and damaged elastin in the skin in their face..

You are absolutely right. But the tests on guinea pigs, mice, and sheeps also proved the theory that some tissue inside of the lung-avleoli can regrow or at least get repaired. In the sheeps they proved that lung-derived stem cells regrow the necessary new blood-veins. In mice they proved to regrow new lung-alveoli. And in other studies they repaired damaged alveoli to look more like healthy alveoli. That's all I want!

I believe that, If we get stem cell treatment with lung-derived stem cells (or just from our own body) to totally reapair the lungs. We still have elevated risk of getting lung-cancer later in life...But it takes more than 30 years to develope it. And we regularly make x-ray. So that's not so bad.

At least I have regained more healthy tissue in my emphysematous lung to live a life style like other persons with non-emphysematous lung. Actually emphysema means "loss of tissue and too much space inside of the lungs"..We want to increase the mass of healthy tissue. That will give us more fitness and stamina.

But I only believe in autologue stem cells (derived from our own body). Probably IPS-stem cells are worth to give a try on humans next..For what was the recent nobelprice good anyway...?

Last edited:

Vancouverman

My lung is in relativ good shape. I dont need oxygen. the condition improved. But its too large and too "floppy". It bothers me. That's why I want to get endobronchial-valves.. I will have doctors appointment soon.. He is a surgeon. Let's see what his diagnosis and recommendations will be..

alg

Van man,
I almost had the valves a few years ago but my surgeon decided last min. not to because of problems from the valves . Maybe it's improved by now .
If your lungs are as you say you I would be VERY CAREFUL in acting to quick.
You have some time wait !

If you do nothing else get a few opinions before going this route.

As for the stem cells , even some partly good cells will generate to millions and millions of new cells and the damaged ones will be absorbed but you must stop the immune attack otherwise damage will just continue to attack the new cells.

It's probably allot more complicated then I know but I do have hope for at least regeneration soon ,if not here then other countries.

Vancouverman

Hello Alg,

yes I totally agree with you! I have time to wait. Its better not to hurry. Alg, and do you plan to get valves later?

I was shocked some days I ago. It was on the german news, that some government members from the Philippines with COPD flew over to Germany. They received animal fetal stem cells from sheeps in a world class clinic! And unfortunately they died because of that procedure..

I mean, why did that Frankenstein procedure take place in Germany? These government members were very rich. These people could afford more advanced stem cells like autologue IPS-Stem cells! The possibilities are endless for rich people. But animal stem cells, really ?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
There is some controversy Vancouverman as to whether they died from the xeno transplants or just natural causes as the deaths occurred so long after treatment, but I agree, the thought of such transplants is quite scary and repulsive to me.