Coumadine and Stem Cells

Buddy74

I had my ICD replaced in April, followed by a Gall Bladder removal (old fashioned operation) in May that held up my stem cell procedure which would have been done this week in Santo Domingo, D.R. (bummer!)
Because I am on Coumadin I was taken off this medicine four days before each operation as having a Coumidin reading of more than 1.5 I was told would be too thin for the procedures. Indeed my gall bladder operation was delayed by a day because my Coumadine reading was 1.6. My questions for those who have had cardiac related Stem Cell treatment and are on Coumadin..
1. Did you go through an instruction to stop Coumadine for a short period or was another drug therapy used which could be quite dangerous...such as Trasylol..which accounted for many known deaths during cardiac procedures.

2. There seems to be a dedicated timetable regarding when the blood is drawn, sent to Israel and returned on a specific date..about a week, and the implantation takes place almost immediately.
Does anyone know what effect a delay caused by an unforeseen event during the week after the blood has gone through it's stem cell procedures due to possibly unforeseen illness, hurricane etc. Is there a limited "shelf life" to the individual's returned "stem cell" blood.?

hlichten

Super Moderator
I had my ICD replaced in April, followed by a Gall Bladder removal (old fashioned operation) in May that held up my stem cell procedure which would have been done this week in Santo Domingo, D.R. (bummer!)
Because I am on Coumadin I was taken off this medicine four days before each operation as having a Coumidin reading of more than 1.5 I was told would be too thin for the procedures. Indeed my gall bladder operation was delayed by a day because my Coumadine reading was 1.6. My questions for those who have had cardiac related Stem Cell treatment and are on Coumadin..
1. Did you go through an instruction to stop Coumadine for a short period or was another drug therapy used which could be quite dangerous...such as Trasylol..which accounted for many known deaths during cardiac procedures.

2. There seems to be a dedicated timetable regarding when the blood is drawn, sent to Israel and returned on a specific date..about a week, and the implantation takes place almost immediately.
Does anyone know what effect a delay caused by an unforeseen event during the week after the blood has gone through it's stem cell procedures due to possibly unforeseen illness, hurricane etc. Is there a limited "shelf life" to the individual's returned "stem cell" blood.?
1.) As for the Coumadine, and whether it would be stopped or another drug used, I would simply direct this question to the doctor. I am sure they have dealt with patients on blood thinners. My understanding is that they draw peripheral blood (not marrow) so all they would need to do is control the bleeding from a simple IV, which would not be a big deal. Probably just keep pressure on it as long as necessary.

2.) Normally there is not a limited "shelf life" for stem cells, since they are frozen until used. The clinic you are using makes a really big deal about it being precisely one week from the blood draw until the implant. I don't know why, or what the real reasons are, but that is what they do. My guess is that if it took much longer to get your blood back to you, they would simply do another blood draw and you would start another week of waiting. Just ask your doctor, I am sure this question has been asked before.

karl wagner

buddy74, It sounds like your going with regenocyte. Ive been there and my cells were 15 hours late. A Lot has changed with there procedure since i went down there but it is my understanding that they still grow/expand the cells until the last minute and a runner takes them to the airport. My cells were late due to weather in new york during a flight layover. Because of this they moved there entire operation from Santiago where i was treated to the capitol of D R Santa Domingo so they could get a non stop flight.The cells are never frozen and yes they do start dieing after a few hours out of the lab.I expressed my concerns to the doctor and there scientist who happened to be there at the time and they said at the two day mark you still had 80% of the cells alive. They gave me a verbal guarantee but i had such good results it was a non issue Also if you are heart or lung you will be treated via catheter. They cut me in the leg/groin area and though i was slightly euphoric at the end i did see a lot of bloody napkins. Keep the doctor informed your in good hands.......Karl

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
What type of sedation was used for you Karl? I am amazed that the operation was in Santiago to begin with. This is a nice town (went to a ball game there a few years back when Sammy Sousa was in town), but like you said not good as far as an international airport. I am pleased to hear that you continue to do well.