CoQ10

Kaci's Mom

Has ANYONE taken CoQ10 sometime prior to receiving their stem cell transplant? If so, when is the best time to begin taking it? I plan to suppliment my daughters diet with this (she's such a picky eater, I'll never be able to get food antioxidants in her to actually benefit any).

Tami03

Ava is on it now after treatment and she was taking it at 1x a night, she was getting 3 sprays and we had to reduce she kept throwing it up in the am after her tube feedings. SCB reduced it to 1 spray, I have uped it to one and a half.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Don't forget that Dr. Ghen can be asked any nutrition and supplement questions you may have. I would think the child's weight could have some bearing on it, but I am not a doctor. I would be happy to pass the question on to Dr. Ghen if either of you would like or get his opinion on supplementation.

Kaci's Mom

Thanks Barbara that would be great. She is a bit on the small side (36lbs.). I found a CoQ10 liquid suppliment from the Puritan's Pride website and figured I should probably at least cut the dosage down to 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of the adult dosage (as I do with a couple of her other meds and suppliments).
Kristin

Tami03

SCB sent me the vitamins about a week and half after the treatment, and she has been taking it ever since. The bottle staes to give it 2x a day at 3 sprays but Dr F old me to do it only 1x daily. Be careful it could upset her stomach.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Ghen's answers to the CoQ10 questions

Dr. Ghen's reply to the questions on CoQ10:

Taking CoQ 10 prior to a Stem Cell Transplant is a good idea, especially if the body is lacking this important nutrient or it is a neurologic disorder for which the transplant is being performed.

Probably, much better when CoQ taken in the AM. Also, check carefully in what carrier the spray is made, what form of coQ 10 it is, and the dosage.

The dosage for a child truly depends on the condition. Typically, a healthy child does not require it at all, since they manufacturer it internally, Only if the child is using it up daily or they have a mitochondrial disorder would it make a difference.

Health, happiness and Hugs,

Dr. G

Kaci's Mom

Thanks for asking Dr. Ghen.
That answered part of my question, but suddenly drew up a bunch more! Like: does it have to be in spray form? I have a liquid form made by "Trace Minerals". Also, I am still unclear about the dosage for a 6 year old 36 lb. child. The directions on the bottle say for adults and children over 12 years- 1tsp. I wonder, if this stuff will work ok?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Follow up from Dr. Ghen on CoQ10 for children

Supplementation for small children is rarely needed except when there is a disorder that reduces the production of his important nutrient. Using a single antioxidant in large doses without appropriate balance may cause deficiencies in other impotent nutrients. Make sure this conversation takes place with the prescribing physician. Ask the question WHY was a particular dose chosen, what has he/she done to balance the other synergistic nutrients, what are the potential side effects and weigh this against the benefits that are expected.

Heath, Happiness and hugs,

Dr. G