COPD Treatment with Salt Therapy

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
COPD Treatment with Salt Therapy
Thursday, May 15, 2014

http://www.saltcaves.com.au/salt-therapy/copd-emphysema-treatment-with-salt-therapy

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is one of the most common lung diseases. It makes it difficult to breathe.
There are two main forms of COPD:
  • Chronic bronchitis, which involves a long-term cough with mucus
  • Emphysema, which involves destruction of the lungs over time
Most people with COPD have a combination of both conditions. Emphysema Is a long-term, progressive disease of the lungs that primarily causes shortness of breath. The tissues necessary to support the physical shape and function of the lungs are destroyed in individuals with emphysema. It is included in a group of diseases called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD (pulmonary refers to the lungs). Emphysema is called an obstructive lung disease because the destruction of lung tissue around smaller sacs, called alveoli, makes these air sacs unable to hold their functional shape upon exhalation. Emphysema is most often caused by tobacco smoking and long-term exposure to air pollution.

Other risk factors for COPD are:
  • Exposure to certain gases or fumes in the workplace
  • Exposure to heavy amounts of second-hand smoke and pollution
  • Frequent use of cooking fire without proper ventilation
  • Symptoms Cough, with or without mucus
  • Fatigue
  • Many respiratory infections
  • Shortness of breath (dyspnea) that gets worse with mild activity
  • Trouble catching one's breath
  • Wheezing

Because the symptoms of COPD/Emphysema develop slowly, some people may not know that they are sick.
How Salt Therapy Can Help Salt Therapy can help by removing any impurities within the respiratory system and killing any bacteria that may cause infection. It also liquefies any build up of mucus allowing ease of expulsion. This ensures the working areas in the lungs are fully functional, which is highly important for people with this condition as these areas may be very limited. For example, a person with advanced emphysema may have around 40% functioning lung, this 60% decrease in lung capacity is detrimental on the breathing process therefore it is essential for the functioning 40% to work at its optimum ability. Reducing inflammation combined with eliminating mucus in the lungs allows for an increased and more efficient oxygen exchange. This therefore improves the function of the respiratory system.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I heartily recommend salt therapy. We have two salt caves that I go to in the Denver area. It's ironic though that even though they promote salt caves for respiratory ailments, when signing the consent forms to use the salt cave, a warning was given that those with COPD were not advised to use the caves. Having heard from another patient how good she felt after going to a salt cave, I ignored the warning. If I could afford it, I would go at least weekly. My husband had a cough he couldn't get rid of so I hauled him off to the salt cave and within a day, his cough was gone. My grandson also had a horrible deep cough so we took him for a session and he immediately felt better. My husband now likes to go there as much as I do because it's also very relaxing.

The caves in my area allow people to stay through an extra session at no extra charge if there are empty seats. We usually try to go at off peak times to take advantage of the double session. You can also buy packages and Group On often has offers. If you have a cave in your area, give it a try. Make sure to hydrate before and after and during if they allow it. One cave lets us bring a bottle of water and the other doesn't, so check with the cave you are going to for what they allow.

I also use a salt pipe whenever I feel a bit congested. 30-45 minutes is a good rule of thumb for best results.