COPD interesting reading

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
alg - Thanks for posting this. It is indeed interesting. From what I have been reading lately, viruses may be responsible for all kinds of disease, including cancer. I wonder if the same might be true for IPF.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Yes - very interesting. It would explain a lot.

I am going to conduct some research on IL-13 and IL-33 and see if I can connect the dots.

Thanks for posting

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Inflammatory molecule involved in development of COPD

Here's another article on it (in a nutshell) from Medical News Today. I used to get bronchitis regularly and had a few bouts of viral pneumonia before everything went to hell in a hand basket and I was diagnosed with COPD. I really think there is something to this.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is characterized by poor airflow due to the breakdown of lung tissue, mucus accumulation and airway dysfunction. Development of COPD is most commonly associated with smoking tobacco, however, it also occurs after acute respiratory infections such as influenza. It is unclear how prior lung disease leads to COPD.

In the current issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Michael Holtzman and colleagues at the Washington University School of Medicine report that expression of an inflammatory molecule, interleukin-33 (IL-33), is increased in the airways of both a mouse model of viral-induced COPD and humans with COPD. Increased IL-33 was associated with an increase in mucus production, and expression of other COPD-implicated genes.

The authors found in their mouse model that expression of the gene encoding IL-33 was localized to a population of lungs cells that were induced in the airway after viral infection. These results lay the groundwork for potential therapeutic strategies aimed at preventing COPD after acute lung infection.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Makes lots of sense. When I was 28 I had pleurisy in my right lung from a bad cold. That is probably when my lung damage started.

Vancouverman

Hello dear people,

I wonder. Are you not vaccinated against penumococcal infection in the US?
I got vaccinated against that about 4 years ago. Its also good for adults not only for children. And it is good for a time period of 5 years.
Additionally I get vaccination against the seasonal flu every year.

And for the last 4 years I had no bronchial infection anymore.
Well, I still have lung damage from other things...

I only contracted the so called "swine flu" in 2009 :) But it was relatively mild and harmless.. I am 100% positiv that it was the real "swine flu" because at that time thousands of people in vienna contracted the swine flu.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Vancouverman

We have the option of getting the pneumonia vaccine. I get one every 5 years now, but when I was 28 many years ago a vaccine wasn't available that I am aware of.

I get a flu shot every Fall, but not everyone does.

I had a flu shot but still got the flu in 2009 that turned into double pneumonia. I tested negative for swine flu. Sine then I started taking Vitamin D every day and haven't had a serious respiratory incident since.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I haven't gotten a flu shot the past 2 years. Last year, apparently the vaccine had some problems with efficacy, especially in seniors. I chose to not get it.

I did have a pneumonia shot years ago. I may opt to get another one of those sometime in the future. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover all types of pneumonia.