China,HK,Taiwan trial

zar

Scientists plan China, HK, Taiwan stem cell trial 08 March 2007
Scientists are preparing for a large clinical trial in 2008 which aims to use stem cells to help 400 patients with spinal cord injuries in Hong Kong, mainland China and Taiwan grow new cells and nerve fibres.
Stem cells from umbilical cord blood will be injected into the spinal cords of the participants, who will also be given lithium to help stimulate cell regeneration, said Wise Young, a leading neuroscientist and spinal cord injury researcher.

"What we'd like to do is study a broad range of patients, not just (those with) complete (spinal cord injuries)," said Young, professor at Rutgers' department of cellbiology and neuroscience. Rutgers is the state university in New Jersey in the U.S.

Researchers are now giving lithium to 20 patients in Hong Kong in the phase 1 safety and feasibility trial. Lithium is a chemical element that is believed to boost cell regeneration.

In preparation for the large 2008 trial, which will involve 400 patients in 14 mainland Chinese cities, Hong Kong and Taipei, doctors in all three places recently agreed on the method to deliver stem cells into spinal cords, said Young, who is also a visiting professor at the University of Hong Kong.

Stem cells extracted from matching umbilical cord blood taken from public blood banks will be injected into the spinal cords of the subjects, who will also be given lithium.

The procedure should hopefully help subjects grow new nerve fibres and "bridges" -- structures that allow the new fibres to reconnect with other parts of the spinal cord.

"Our main outcome measure will be neurological motor and sensory scores," Young said in an interview with selected media. "We want to see whether the patients recover sensation. It has three measures: touch, pain which is assessed by pin-prick, and the third is strength of 10 standardised muscles."

ccadams

cord blood stem trials in china

hi how you get on list for cord blood stem cell trails in china?
i'm in process of matching dna cord blood to me from my nephew
please help me make connection to dr wise young /china trails
thanks carol

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Contacting doctors

You might try contacting Rutgers and see if you can get his e-mail or an address where you could contact him. Maybe, someone else here has an idea. I was successful in doing this for another doctor awhile back and was in touch with him within a day. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

hlichten

Super Moderator
hi how you get on list for cord blood stem cell trails in china?
i'm in process of matching dna cord blood to me from my nephew
please help me make connection to dr wise young /china trails
thanks carol
You would probably have to agree to live in China for a year or two.
Almost all clinical trials involve many follow-up visits that you have to agree to contractually prior to treatment.
One trial I checked on in Houston required 18 follow-up visits.

ccadams

stem cell tx

hav
you stated you had stem treatment in mexico and germany
ho do you feel afterward?
did you have changes / functional changes'?
ccadams

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Harv had treatment in Thailand and Germany. You can see his updates in the cardiac section. Since, he very kindly helps moderate this forum for us, I am sure he will probably see this and reply to you also.

hlichten

Super Moderator
hav
you stated you had stem treatment in mexico and germany
ho do you feel afterward?
did you have changes / functional changes'?
ccadams
I never had treatment in Mexico.
Thailand and Germany.
No benefit from Thailand treatment.
No benefit YET from the German treatment.
It has been 3 months+ since the German treatment, so some benefit still would not be out of the question, but getting less likely.

Don't know, it may be me, it may be the complexity of my condition.

Everyone is different.

I trust the German clinic much more than any other so far, the facility and doctors, everything were top notch, the price was great, but that is all I can say, since I am not better.