An article best not written

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This is one poorly written article in my opinion. I read it several times and still do not thoroughly understand it. The last sentence is especially misleading. On the website where this appears, the ad below the last sentence completely contradicted the article leaving the reader to be able to do no more than scratch his or her head. We are already fighting the media that for the most part understands little about stem cells. Articles like this add to the confusion. Maybe someone can interpret the article for us. To me, it sounds like only live animal cells will be allowed since the headline says treatments using human stem cells to be banned. I am sure that is not what it means, but as soon as I thought it must be talking about embryonic or fetal cells, a monkey wrench was thrown in concerning umbilical cord stem cells. It states they aren't needed as the stem cells can now be extracted from other body parts. This article gets a flunking grade from me. Theravitae is a very large company operating in Bangkok. I am wondering if there were problems with treatments in Thailand or just what brought all of this on at this point. I have heard no negative reports coming from there and the article does not state why the sudden change in policy. I am lost on this one.

MEDICAL DECREE
Treatments using human stem cells to be banned
By The Nation
Published on May 25, 2009

Dr Somsak Lohlekha
Violating order could lead to medical licence being withdrawn

Starting in September when a decree to regulate human stemcell study comes into effect, any hospital or medical school found to be carrying out tests in violation of the rules or without permission will ultimately face withdrawal of medical licence, the Medical Council said yesterday.

Council chairman Dr Somsak Lohlekha said the decree will not allow treatments based on the use of human stem cells. "Only studies or researches in relation to human stem cells will be allowed, with mandatory approval from a national regulatory body," he added.

The decree will regulate study and research into the use of human stem cells in treating all diseases, especially those involving dermatology, treatment of veins, organ transฌplants, and all heartrelated diseases, expect for bone marrow transplant and blood disorders, which have been practised.

The decree will be regulated mainly by a national body, which would be set up later and comprise exofficio members from various professions, including representatives from the Supreme Court and the Law Society of Thailand.

The Public Health Ministry and the Food and Drugs Administration will enforce regulations under the decree.

The Medical Council has just completed its final version of the decree and will scrutinise it at its major meeting next month. The decree is expected to come into effect after a three month process.

During the process, Somsak said many medical schools had opposed the decree, saying it would affect stemcell studies in Thailand, but all parties had finally reached an agreement in finally promulgating the decree.

The Medical Council will soon make an announcement encouraging members of the public or companies to stop storing their own stem cells from umbilical cords for future use, because the storage of such cells was costly and becoming outdated, as the general stem cells could now be extracted from other body parts.

Somsak said the storage of stemcell umbilical cords in the US had been discontinued many years ago.

Ads by Google
Umbilical Cord Banking
Bank Your Baby's Cord Blood Get a Free Information Kit
www.ViaCord.com/Cord-Blood-Experts

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
That article which appears to be related to stem cells in the UK (based on the spelling of several words) makes zero sense.

The last sentence is flat out untrue so I wonder - what was the point of the article?