Amanda Defying the Odds with hESCs from Dr. Geeta Shroff

Amanda Boxtel

Visit Amanda's Blog: www.amandaboxtel.wordpress.com

On February 27, 1992 at the age of twenty-four I sustained a complete spinal cord injury at T11/12 (that is, no feeling or sensation below thoracic vertebrae levels 11 & 12). I recall the accident vividly in my mind's eye. I was downhill skiing. Everything happened in slow motion. A freak somersault and in a split second I shattered four vertebrae. It was as though somebody turned off a light switch. An electric current zapped through my legs and in an instant there was nothing.

I have always been an active woman. For 15 1/2 years I pursued various alternative healing methodologies yet my body showed no improvement. I was paralyzed with no sensation or movement from the top of my pubic bone down. I tried standing tall in leg braces gaiting both legs through at a time. Gaiting took much effort and wore on my arms and shoulders. It was risky and non-functional to my daily living regimen. Still, I kept my legs alive and my body supple using acupuncture, acupressure, massage, oriental energy work, yoga, meditation, a healthy diet, and remaining physically fit through outdoor recreational activities such as skiing and hand cycling. I arrived at a place of acceptance with my paralysis, yet I have always had an uncanny insight that one magical day my legs would support me. Secretly, I never gave up hope.

While my spinal cord injury took away my ability to walk, it didn't take away my ability to dream. Today I am turning my dream into my reality one baby step at a time.

On June 25, 2007 I was the first US Citizen to undergo Human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) Therapy with Dr. Geeta Shroff in New Delhi, India. During my initial two month visit, I not only witnessed astounding improvements in my own body, but with many patients deemed incurable or terminally ill who have life restored within their bodies and a newfound reason to not give up but LIVE! Quality of life is the essence of what each patient attains through receiving Dr. Geeta Shroff?s revolutionary hESC treatment.

Through the generosity of my community of supporters who have helped me raise the necessary funds, I have undergone five treatments in India in a twenty-two month period. To date, improvements since my first stem cell injection on June 25, 2007 are:
? Increased sensation down to L5 level with light touch
? Deeper sensation with tingles all the way to my toes
? A new ability to delineate between hot and cold temperatures in my legs
? Nerve burning pain has dissipated almost completely
? My bladder and bowels are beginning to function again
? My womanly sensations are coming alive
? I have increased muscle power in my legs including gluteal muscles, quadriceps, hamstrings, adductors, abductors, and mild flickers in my calf muscles too.

Since receiving hESC treatment, I am able to crawl forwards and backwards; I can walk on my knees on my own; and I can now lift from a squatting position. I am able to rise up out of my wheelchair and walk ambulating one leg at a time with the use of leg braces and a walker. I work daily strengthening, patterning movements, meditating, and believing.

Hope has been restored and is now a part of my vocabulary!

Words cannot begin to describe my feeling of regaining sensation and renewed muscle strength after 15 ? years of paralysis. The word miracle comes to mind, yet I know it is science. I am healing and I am capable of achieving more. I visualize every pure embryonic cell gestating from a perfect state?that God spark?manifesting perfection throughout my physical body. I do not know the divine potential of these Human Embryonic Stem Cells. It is life giving life.

Human Embryonic Stem Cell Therapy is a mission of hope and will change the world. I will continue to speak from my own experience witnessing my body awakening and coming to life after 15 ? years of lifelessness and nothingness. What I know for sure is that patient testimonials count! The world can learn from those of us who are bold enough to take risks while keeping the faith and standing tall when the world is ostensibly against the odds. I will aspire toward spreading a message of hope in the face of challenge. It is our collective responsibility to be the manifestation of hope. We must do what we can to demonstrate positive change in our world. No vision is too big.

About Amanda
I am forty-two years old and I have been paralyzed eighteen years. I am proud to take the word ?complete? out of my spinal cord injury equation. I am Australian born and I live in Basalt, Colorado with my golden retriever, Tucker. I am the co-founder of Challenge Aspen, professional speaker, writer, and stem cell pioneer.

Follow Amanda?s Journey by visiting her Blog: www.amandaboxtel.wordpress.com

Medical Information on Amanda Boxtel:

Amanda Boxtel
D.O.B. 12/15/1967

On February 27, 1992
I sustained a T11/12 spinal cord injury in Snowmass Village, Colorado.

In medical terminology I fractured T10-L1 with anterior dislocation of T11 on T12 leading to T11-12 paraplegia?Frankel Class A. Right T10, left T12 ASIA Impairment Scale A paraplegia with an asymmetric sensory zone of partial preservation to the left L1 dermatome, secondary to a T12 fracture.

A Denver surgeon performed a posterior spinal fusion with Edwards instrumentation and posterior iliac bone grafting from T10-L1. The date of the surgery was February 28, 1992.

For eight years I was terribly incontinent with an overactive neurogenic bladder. In August 2000 I underwent a life-changing surgery which successfully implanted the Vocare Bladder System into my abdomen and S3 nerve root. With the Vocare Bladder Implant I had a posterior rhizotomy of S2-5 in addition to implantation of the stimulator in the lower right abdomen and the electrodes on bilateral S3 anterior roots. S3 was chosen since direct stimulation of it produced the greatest increase in bladder pressure.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome Amanda,

I was very pleased to get to speak to Amanda this past weekend. She is truly a Pioneer. We have not had much input on the forum from SCI patients so I hope Amanda will inspire more of them to become members and help spread the word about stem cell therapy. I have invited Dr. Geeta Shroff to host the Ask the Doctor forum next month, so please get some questions in mind that you would like to ask and send them to me when I make the formal announcement.

hope22

How quick can the process of getting visa applications and travel arrangements be completed? My condition is desperate I have an adverse reaction to dietary supplement which caused altered senses, headaches, emotional blunting and total insomnia (sleep studies show I do not sleep now unless drugged and only sleep about 2 hours at that) Sleep studies only confirm this. Doctors don't know what to do but drug me. The insomnia started a few months after my other symptoms as the right side of my head wen numb and just keeps getting worse in response to drugs along with my other symptoms. Doctors keep throwing around the phrase degenerative brain condition but don't tell me anything to do except practice sleep hygiene an take sleeping medicine,

Doctors tell me I need to start sleeping somehow if Im going to live.
I had a SPECT scan which showed some pretty bad brain damage but wasnt't detailed enough to point out the cause of this insomnia.
although my thalmus was extremely active.

I contacted Nutech but just was told to send record but not who to send them too. How did you make arrangements to travel to New Delhi.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
You need to get your passport which takes at least 6 weeks and costs $60. Traveling to New Delhi requires a Visa.

Depending on where you live, most main post offices can process your passport application and take your photo.

I would visit the following website for details:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Hope22 - You can also try to contact Amanda by private message on this forum. Click on Community, then members, then A and find her name. Then send her a message. Have you tried to contact Dr. Shroff directly?

I believe you can also pay extra to get your passport expedited. If you live in a city with a passport office, you can apply in person as well. There are visa services that can expedite your visa and passport as well. Do a Google search and ask for Expedited Travel Documents.