Affirmation

Mysty119

I just got back from my regular doctor. It was a follow up appointment because my right eye ONLY---waters up. I was supposed to go see an ophthalmologist but forgot. She said she wanted to "take a listen of my heart and lungs". She did. She said nothing.
So, anyway, she asked me what was going on with my lungs. What had Cleveland Clinic said. I told her of my not being able to understand why, after going to Cleveland for 15 months, that THIS time (in June), I went there and TOLD them I was just getting over a 2 month cold!!! And therefor, I did not expect to do well on my PFT. I didn't. It showed 18% rather than the normal 21-22%. Next thing I know, the pulmonary dude is telling me he now wants to put my name on the list for transplant! I was in shock because one thing they made VERY clear to me from the get-go was, "you will very likely NOT be placed on the list until you have been on oxygen 24/7 for some time". Now---they want to???? I again told him that I didn't expect to do well on the PFT and why. I also told him that I would not be having any xrays or CTs for at least 6 months. And told him why. He of course, was quick to point out to me that "nothing had been proven yet with stem cells". I didn't have the strength to "get into it with him". As I was leaving, he said---"if you're going to get them--do it right away!!"
That's when I told her (the doc I saw today), that I had the cells done. She asked when and I told her. She asked how, and I told her. She had lots of interest. I told her that I realize doctors have a lot of reading to do in their field alone. And that I realize they don't have the time or perhaps the interest in reading up on other alternatives. Other research.
Now, when I first told my regular family doc that I was going to go for stem cells, she didn't say anything--but I felt there was this look in her eyes.
Today, after I told her about how I felt I was taking fuller breaths, had better O2 and FEV1 reading, and was able to take longer walks without SOB---she said, "Hey----what you did today, (meaning the breathing she listened to)--was phenomonal for you!!!!!
I'm having a PFT done this Thursday and hope that shows better also. I'm happy!!!!

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bea - I am glad to hear that your doctor didn't throw a fit or say negative things as would have been the case even just a year ago. What progress is being made, in educating, and in helping many of us. There is still a long way to go, but with pioneers like you and many of our other members, we are paving the way.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Bea

My doctor was ready to put me on a transplant list when my FEV was 28%. I said are you kidding me? Luckily my FEV hasn't dropped hardly at all in the past 2 years. It's around the same. I have my own meter that measures FEV and I measure mine once a month. It was 27% last week.

I am hoping you will get some good news when you go for your PFT