2nd company requests FDA permission for a human clinical trial using esc

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jef Akst, "The Scientist.com"
19th November 2009

A second company has requested permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct a human clinical trial using embryonic stem cells.

"I'm cautiously optimistic," said Marco Zarbin of the Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Science of University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, who would participate in the proposed trial. "Of all the places in the body where I can imagine cell-based therapy working, first -- because it's so seemingly simple -- is in the eye."

If approved, this would be only the second clinical trial involving hESCs. The first -- Geron's study of stem cell treatment for spinal cord injury -- has been on hold by the FDA since August due to microscopic cysts that developed in an animal study, and doesn't expect to resume until the third quarter of next year.

The proposed trial aims to treat patients with Stargardt's Macular Dystrophy (SMD) -- a genetic eye disease for which there is currently no treatment and one of the most common causes of juvenile blindness. The disease results in the degeneration of the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) -- cells that support the photoreceptors needed for vision -- which in turn causes the degeneration of the photoreceptors and leads to vision impairment. ACT proposes to transplant hESCs that have been differentiated into retinal pigment epithelial cells into SMD patients in hopes of improving visual acuity.

Previous work at ACT has shown dramatic improvement in the visual performance of rats who received implants of these differentiated RPE cells, according to a 2006 study. Furthermore, they found no adverse effects (such as teratomas) in hundreds of treated animals, and the cells are "almost 100% RPE," said Robert Lanza, ACT's chief scientific officer, meaning there are virtually no undifferentiated cells that could potentially behave differently after implantation.

"From the data that we've seen, I think we're in a good position to take this into the clinic in an effective and safe fashion," said Peter Francis of the Casey Eye Institute in Portland, OR. The Casey Eye Institute is one of the clinics that would participate in the study, and Francis also contributed to the preclinical research leading up to this IND.

"We're in good shape," agreed Lanza. "I'm sure [the FDA is] going to have some questions and want some additional information, but, knock-on-wood, we'll be able to start early next year with the clinical trial."

The trial will involve a total of 12 patients and three clinical sites, Lanza said. "Once you show that the patients tolerate the cells, we can go in to larger numbers."

In addition, given the similar pathological processes between Stargardt's Macular Dystrophy and age-related macular degeneration, ACT also hopes to file an IND in the next few months to use hESCs in age-related macular degeneration, a disease that affects millions worldwide.

debrat

stem cell trial

I have emphasema and have had a lung transplant four years ago. After the first month my lung went into chronic rejection. The doctors gave me about a year to live (its been 4).
My information that I give you is from the director at Mayo Clinic lung department. Mayo is very close to having the FDA's approval and a grant from the Govt., so the Doctor said to me I could be in the trail because I am at phase 1 of the 4 phases of the study. Phase 1 would be what I am which is terminal at the worst stage. My visit with him was quite impressive. This man is absolutely incredible, highly respected. I would love to share with you as I go through this and when it would start. It sounded to me that it was going to be soon after the first of the year. We will see.
Debra in Ormond Beach, FL