Stem Cells in the News

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
NEWS April 13, 2007 - improvements in heart and lung function

NEW ORLEANS, April 13 (UPI) -- U.S. researchers say stem-cell therapy appears to show benefits for heart attack patients.
A study presented at an American College of Cardiology meeting in New Orleans says six-month data shows heart attack patients who received the Provacel therapy had improvements in heart and lung function, compared to those who received a placebo, the Austin (Texas) Business Journal reported.
"This Phase 1 trial was designed primarily to assess safety, yet we were astonished to see such a dramatic clinical benefit across numerous clinical issues," said Dr. Roger Gammon, director of research and the principal investigator for the trial at Austin Heart, one of 10 sites chosen for the study.
Gammon said the hospital will participate in further studies planned for this year.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
PMC Clinic

Anney - The PMC clinic that is mentioned in the link you provided is the same one that was in the article I posted yesterday. This clinic is having some good success with MS and other diseases. I e-mailed them to see if they are working with COPD patients, but have not had a response yet. What is wonderful is that some clinics while working with heart patients, observed that the heart patients' lungs showed a great improvement in functionality. In the case of the clinic that is now doing COPD treatments in Argentina, this caused the doctor to try it on COPD patients and he had success. I am very pleased that you have found this information and I urge all forum members to take it upon themselves to look for interesting articles and e-mail doctors and clinics that you feel may have an interest in getting their information to us. They are out there, but we have to hunt for the treasure. Jan I believe is an archaeologist in her spare time. She really knows how to dig.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
PMC Clinic

Jeannine found an announcement that the PMC clinic had been closed by the Rotterdam authorities because they had an incident where one patient became ill. This then led to the discovery that the paper work they were required to keep was not being done to the satisfaction of the local authorities. I have been trying to get information as to whether or not they will be continuing with stem cell treatment. I certainly hope so as they were reported to have some great success.

anney_uk

anney_uk

I contacted this clinic to make enquiries but received no reply. Your news doesn't bode well for its future.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Pulmonary Data

Lung function tests were performed to monitor subjects for potential adverse changes related to the treatment. Surprisingly, patients who received PROVACEL had significantly improved pulmonary function following treatment compared to placebo as measured by improvement in FEV1 % predicted values (17 point PROVACEL vs. 6 point placebo, p less than 0.05). Preclinical studies performed at Osiris Therapeutics had previously demonstrated that the anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic (anti-scarring) effects of the stem cells may be of benefit to patients with conditions such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). However, this finding is the first placebo-controlled evidence in humans that indicates MSCs may play a beneficial role in the treatment of certain lung disorders.

The PROVACEL trial is one of five ongoing clinical trials at Osiris, including two Phase III trials using the cells in the treatment of steroid refractory Graft vs. Host Disease and Crohn's Disease, both of which have been granted fast track status by FDA. Osiris is developing PROVACEL as part of a strategic alliance with Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE:BSX) for commercialization of Osiris' mesenchymal stem cell technology in the cardiac field.

Evaluation of patients in the PROVACEL trial will continue for a total of two years following treatment.

http://investor.osiris.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=235227

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Around the world with stem cell conferences

I just got an e-mail from the doctor that is involved with the company where I got my stem cell therapy. He has just left Thailand and is on his way to Australia attending stem cell conferences in both countries. If anyone doesn't think this is of global interest, they are wrong. If anyone thinks stem cell therapy doesn't exit, they are wrong. I will be anxious to ask him how many U.S. attendees were at these conferences. He is from the U.S. so at least the U.S. had some representation. He promised to update us all when he returns. I am sure there was some exciting new information that he obtained. He will be back in the United States after June 25th. He has offered to allow anyone with questions concerning their own specific circumstances to call him or e-mail him after that date. If you would like to have his information, please e-mail me privately. I will give you one word of advice when talking to him. Have your questions ready beforehand. He is extremely knowledgeable and before you know it, he has you learning all about stem cell therapy and you completely forget to ask him what you wanted to! A very fascinating person.

barrybrooks

Why were my e-mails returned as undeliverable????

Hi guys I wrote an e-mail to Jennine, Barbara and Jan (AngelFire) and every one was returned. WHY???
And why is the www.arboristsite@msn.com marked with a sender ID query??
They can not verify the sender or whether it is legit or not. A lot of spammers and spoofers go phishing here.
Which leads me to ask if this site is legit or just another hoax and scam.
bbrooks43@sympatico.ca:eek::eek:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Barry

I have no idea why your emails are being returned.

Not sure what you mean by phishing or hoaxes or spams.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Message to Barry

Barry - the Arboristsite is Darin's forum for arborists. You shouldn't have the @msn.com in there if you are trying to access it. I guess I am not understanding what the problem is. You can e-mail me personally because you have before. Let me know if you still have difficulty. There are a lot of Canadian members on the Arboristsite. If you like trees and chainsaws and stuff like that, it is an awesome site.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Barry

I hope you feel foolish at this point after posting that same information in so many COPD forums with wrong websites (who ever heard of a website with an @ in it)?

If your emails to myself, Barb and Jan were returned perhaps you typed ithe email addresses wrong just like you typed the website address incorrectly.

If you aren't interested in what were are doing that's your business, but to slander us based on your own incorrect information is absurd and I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

In order to scam we would need to be offering something to sell. I see nothing here that would lead anyone to think it's a scam.

Are we scamming the Stem Cells in the News and the Clinical Trials too?

The facts speak for themselves. Unless we are holding a gun to your head or a knife to your back no one forced you to come to this forum.

Our goal is to spread the news that there is hope for people with COPD and we are the living proof.

Jan

Pioneer Founding member
Hi guys I wrote an e-mail to Jennine, Barbara and Jan (AngelFire) and every one was returned. WHY???
And why is the www.arboristsite@msn.com marked with a sender ID query??
They can not verify the sender or whether it is legit or not. A lot of spammers and spoofers go phishing here.
Which leads me to ask if this site is legit or just another hoax and scam.
bbrooks43@sympatico.ca:eek::eek:
(1) ANSWER TO: I wrote an e-mail to Jeannine, Barbara and Jan (AngelFire) and every one was returned. WHY

I honestly do not know why. That is why I am attempting to contact you by email and this answer to your post.

(2) ANSWER TO: And why is the www.arboristsite@msn.com marked with a sender ID query??

The link you typed is incorrect for Darin's site. Here is the correct link:
http://www.arboristsite.com/

Barry, I assure you this site is legit, not a hoax or a scam. If you go back to the forum site, you will notice that your remarks remain, by choice. They could have easily been removed.

Jeannine and Barbara (who have had stem cell therapy) tried to email you, but their emails came back. I am also emailing you to both the email you show here and the one you used to sign up to this forum. Hopefully you will get it. If not, hopefully you will read this reply to your post.

Have a great day.
Jan (AngelFire)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Message to Barry

Hi Barry, I was thinking about how silly your remarks looked on the other forums when we have left your posts here on this forum for all to see. Were you looking for information on labs in Canada so that perhaps you could get in the stem cell business? I can think of no other reason. I gave you the company's name where I got treatment. I do not have the name of the lab and quite frankly, I never thought to ask for it and if I did, what is that going to do for me? I think you need a reality check on how businesses do business. Take out the phone book and start calling businesses in your area. If they manufacture something ask them how they get the parts, where they get the parts, how they assemble the product, who they sell to and I am sure you will get the same response from most of these companies. It is called the dial tone. If someone called me at the business I own and wanted to know these things, I would never give the information to them. Why should I? I've worked hard to get my business where it is and I feel that the information above is proprietary. You need to do your own research and not be so presumptuous as to think we are hiding something that was never ours to hide. Get off your duff, get a life and go do your own research. I would also suggest a class on the internet since you seem to have many problems with e-mailing. By the way, I feel great again today.

barrybrooks

Information worth sharing??

Well things have died down a bit so lets start again. We got off on the wrong foot and I apologize for upsetting the proverbial apple cart. We are all living with COPD and in many cases other health problems too.
I thought you deserved some information I came across.
The University Health Network released a news item on June 20th in Toronto, Ontario. By and large they were honouring a Dr. Joel Cooper and a Dr. Griffth Pearson for their work in transplantation.
For 2007, Dr. Shav Keshavjee, Director of Lung Transplant Program of Toronto General Hospital and a former student Dr. Cooper will perform about 100 lung transplants.
And the exciting part is~ and I quote verbatim.
"Currently, Dr. Keshavjee and his team are researching ways in which gene therapy can be used to fix injured organs, since the lung is a complex and fragile organ that is vulnerable to injury and rejection. His lab is also looking at how genes can be used to modify and repair lungs to improve transplant results. The team's ultimate goal is to eliminate the need for transplant by using regenerative medicine to grow healthy replacement lungs." end of quote.

I just thought this item may be of interest to your readers. Thanks, as ever, Barry.