Nutritional Influences on Health and Disease

Nutritional Influences on Health and Disease
Please don?t kid yourself; a great deal of the less than optimal health, one ends up with, has a nutritional basis. A study done not that long ago demonstrated that none of the subjects polled ate the minimum RDA (Recommended Daily Requirement) of vitamins. Yes, none of several thousand individuals of the population studied, met even the smallest of benchmarks. And if you still believe that you can get all the nutrients the body requires by eating a ?good or balanced? diet, then you need to pay close attention to the facts.

By definition Chronic Disease effects 75% of every man, woman and child in the USA. This includes obesity, heartdisease, highcholesterol. high triglycerides, diabetes, hypertension or cancer. Are others included in the chronic group? Consider the reported statistic that by 8th grade, 40% of children have either overt diabetes or the beginning of insulin resistance, Who isresponsible for all these maladies?.for the most part YOU!, and I don?t mean your genes. Let?s quickly understand that genes ONLY predispose you to a particular tendency. There are numerous examples of patients with inherited tendencies, either never expressing the disease or showing a lesser virulent outcome, and or a later onset. How is it that 10 people at a party, all are exposed to the flu, yet only 3 attendees come down with the flu symptoms?

?If?then? medicine can?t possibly ?cure? the modern diseases that beset humankind. It?s naive to think there is one cause for each disease. Although this would be convenient and simple, combinations of circumstances set the stage for the less than optimal health we could experience. We literally have trillions of reactions occurring at the cellular level every day. To think that an organism as complex as the human being (100 Trillion Cells) can break down from one situation and can be fixed easily with one or two medications?lacks logical deductive reasoning.

The new medicine ?Cellular Medicine? regards the health at the primordial source, ?the cell? the only way to truly effect long-range positive change towards health. Most medicines (although often quite useful) are synthetic substances that can be recognized by the body as foreign and often cause more harm than help. The 4th leading cause of death in the USA after heart disease, cancer, and stroke is properly prescribed medicine. To understand the concept more clearly is to realize that the ongoing 24/7 requirement for your cells is the presence of Vitamins.Minerals, Enzymes,and Essential fatty acids. These cofactors allow the trillions of daily cellular operations to occur unencumbered. Our requirements for these substances increases under several circumstances. For example, illness, trauma, and mere aging.

To understand why you ended up with a problem, versus someone else your some age with similar living parameters is the simplification of the complex. I often explain this difficulty by using the acronym FAMILY to demonstrate the tremendous exponential negative exposure a single cell will be exposed to every day.

F-Foods, Particularly those that provide no nutrition or even rob the body of precious nutrients. Additives, preservatives and a host of other substances that require a PhD in chemistry to understand. Comparisons to many vegetables like Broccoli to nutrient values pound for pound to 25 years ago is disappointing. Some studies show as much as a 40% decrease in the vitamin/mineral content.

A-Acid: Base balance. Most of our food preferences end up in the inside of our cells becoming very acidic. As noted by prominent researchers the nidus for many if not most of our chronic diseases. The cellular milieu is the background in which our cells must do their work. Obviously, there are environments that support more optimal health than others. Every farmer knows this and strives to keep his land in the perfect state to grow his crops.

M-medicines as we already note, and metals, specifically heavy metals, adversely effect the workings of the cell. And can have neurological consequences as well. Some of the heavy metals are Lead, Cadmium.Mercury, Antimony, Bismuth, Arsenic and Aluminum, although not all of them are classified as a heavy metal but is characterized as one, due to its common properties and deleterious effects with its overload.

I-Ionizing radiation ? damages cells especially those in the division phase making them much more vulnerable to damage from the elements.

L-Live organisms - we live in the microorganisms? world not vice versa. Study shows that the human body contains 3 lbs. of bacteria. (Who in the world did that study)? It is the balance of Good bacteria to Pathogenic that is most important. The maintenance of this delicate balance can make all the difference in the organism?s health.

Y-Your Genetics.

By now, you?re probably saying , ?What?s the answer to this cellular struggle?? It is the simultaneous introduction of optimal nutrition, and life style changes, hormonal balance, mind balance and regenerative science applications such as a Stem Cell transplantation.
The key to this discussion is for you to recognize we have the power in most cases to change in a positive way our cells and their level of function. It should also now be obvious to you that since thereis so much human complexity, Biochemical Individuality (like a thumb print) requires nutritional repletion based on each person?s individual needs. No two treatment plans should ever be a duplicate of someone else?s.

Energy, health and hugs,

Mitchell J. Ghen, D.O.,Ph.D.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thank you Dr. Ghen

Dr. Ghen, I want to thank you for agreeing to host a nutritional forum for the members. I understand what you are saying about foods losing some of what they used to have nutritionally. Is there anyway to help this such as using organic or fortified foods? I have noticed recently that many products I buy are now fortified with calcium, Omega 3, flax seeds, etc. How much is this going to help replace what may have been lost? Also, one of our members is needing to gain some weight. Any ideas for that? If you would like, you can tell the members something about your practice too.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Already a reply

Dr. Ghen has already graciously replied -

For sure organically grown foods have an advantage. Studies have shown that their nutritional value is significantly higher and of course you get the extra benefit of no Pesticides ,herbacides,etc Every little bit counts.
All toxins ingested in a day become additive to each other and often several together create exponential increase in cellular toxicity. The combination of health food and the right neutraceuticals make all the difference.

The word fortified always makes me nervous. What was so bad about the product or so empty that they had to add things back in. If you eat raw organic food there is no need to add fortification. And no, a fortified food is no substitute for organic food+your individual Vitamin/Mineral needs.

To answer the question about gaining weight ..I would need to know why the individual wants to gain weight and why they can?t do that now.

Thank you for your excellent questions.

With Health,Hope and Hugs,

Dr. G

Bev12452

junk food junkie

I was a junk food junkie Sept 4 2007 I started the diet for my cells and have stuck to it but have lost 30 Pd's and I am beginning to look a little too thin for My frame don't want to go off the diet but need advice on something to eat to add some muscle mass for body weight I have also had problems with the hormones and thyroid which is also adding to problem I was told my body was not absorbing any advice would be greatly appreciated Bev

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Don't forget to ask any questions on supplementation and nutrition that you want. Dr. Ghen is well known for his work with nutrition and has agreed to answers our questions so please let's take him up on his offer. Eating healthy and turning back the clock are two ways to improve our health. For those that have had stem cell therapy, it is essential to give our bodies all the help they can get so the cells can do their work. If you aren't helping them by eating right, then they can't do their job as well. Think I'm making this up? I have a library full of published articles on my side and the knowledge of many very competent doctors. You may need to retrain yourself to eat properly and make it a habit for life.

Achillian

Bev's junk food

Hi Bev,
Well I envy you in a way, losing 30 lbs!!
Seriously tho, I've always had a good diet, never one for junk food, yet I got sick. I know some of you have been told to stay away from red meat, but it's one of the best ways to get Iron and vitamins. Good rare/medium steak is good for muscle mass!
My humble opinion is that a lot of our immune systems are damaged, thus causing hormonal imbalance. That and a lack of VitB12 could be causing the malabsorbtion. That was one theory put forward by my German doctor. I don't have any answers really but eating all the right foods haven't done me much good!
Any tips for losing the extra weight I've gained through lack of exercise??
Best wishes,
Anne.

Achillian

Questions for Dr Ghen

Dr Ghen, I wonder what you recommend to repair a very damaged immune system? My immune system is badly damaged by late diagnosis of Lyme disease. I've always had a good balanced diet, never one for junk food, yet I got sick and my good diet doesn't seem to make any difference.
I agree with what you say about "fortified food", nothing seems to be really "natural" anymore. Even milk has a two week shelf life!
I've just started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, what are your thoughts on it?
Thank you,
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Good question

Anne - I will pass your question on to Dr. Ghen. The reason that red meat is eliminated from the diet is because it is carcinogenic. I think you are right on with the statement that most of our immune systems need help.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dandelions

Bev - While reading last night, I found that dandelion root and leaf (which you can buy in capsules) is good for gently stimulating the appetite and improving nutrient absorption. You can also buy dandelion as a tea or better yet go out and gather your own. If where you live is anything like where I live, that shouldn't be a problem.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bev - Some more weight gaining herbals

Until we hear from Dr. Ghen again, I found several herbs that promote weight gain. You need to understand that the goal of herbal treatment is to restore the body to balance. All of us with chronic diseases are out of balance. These are the herbs that may help you put on a few pounds Bev. Ashwagandha root, dates, cashews, bala, cardamom, white atractylodes, ginseng root, dang gui root, cooked rehmannia root. I could also send you a few extra pounds.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Anne

An answer for Anne -

Immune system damage or failure basically comes in three flavors. Low functioning one, a hyper functioning system and an autoimmune presentation.Lymes can place your immune system in any one of these categories and the treatment regimen is very different for each. If you really want to know where your immune system is at, consider asking your health care practitioner for the folowing studies on your blood to get done. CBC,Immunoglobulins,CD4,CD8,CD16,CD56 and a Natural killer cell function test. A Complement Blood test panel will also be helpful and a Raji Cell Assay. Don?t be surprised if your physician has little understanding of these tests...It would not be unusual. However, this group will give you the proper understanding of your current immune system status.
Alpha Lipoic acid is a unique antioxidant. It preserves other antioxidants such as Vit.C, E, and glutathione.It is both lipid and water soluble meaning it is a very versatile agent. Therfore it can penetrate all membranes. In addition, it has 2 qualities that are extremely important; It is a good agent for patients with neurapathy and is one of the premiere products for slowing cell aging i.e. Terrific to keep you young. One note; if you take large doses of Alpha Lipoic it is best to take it at bedtime since it passes the Blood Brain Barrier and can make you have decrease cognition (Think Clearly) if taken during wake hours.

Health,happiness and hugs,

Dr. G

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bev

An answer for Bev

It is not unusual when you start to eat a well balanced diet to lose weight especially when you where eating inappropriately before. However, the diet along with your disease may have put you in a catabolic state. Ask your health care practitioner about Whey protein supplementation,especially a product called ?Paleomeal? by designs for health. You may find 2 or 3 servings of this product a day may help. Of course, please check with your doctor about this first.
Also, you need to ask yourself WHY are you not absorbing your nutrients. There are functional tests that can answer this question

Health, Happiness and Hugs,

Dr. G

Achillian

Dr G and alpha lipoic acid

Dr G, thank you so much for that helpful reply. I have all the test reports you mention, but don't like to monopolise the message board with them. Perhaps another time.
I will start taking the ALA later in the evening as you suggest. I had found it made me feel very "spaced out", and felt it slowed down my brain. What yo say makes perfect sense to me, but believe me the "anti aging" facter doesn't really bother me!
Thanks again,
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Anti-aging

I think in order to combat our various chronic diseases that the anti aging factor is helpful. I don't think my wrinkles are fading away, but what some of the anti aging supplements can do to make us healthier inside is what counts. That gives our bodies a better edge to combat what ails us. Otherwise our energies are consumed with having to deal with normal stress caused by aging. It gives us an edge is what I am trying to say (an extra fighting factor).

Achillian

anti ageing

Barbara, of course I know that it's what happens inside that counts. I take your point! I suppose I was just being flippant about the anti-ageing thing! My Stem cell doctor mentioned that some people find their skin improves etc, hence the anti-ageing factor. A few weeks after my treatment he asked if I was a Maryln Munroe lookalike yet!! It's just a joke between us!
Believe me, I'm only interested in getting my health back.
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No Marilyn here either

I heard the same thing. I keep checking to see if I look like one of the stars, but every morning, in the mirror, it's my same old mug. I do notice that my hair grows extra fast however and I do have more energy than my 20 year old neighbor!

Achillian

Old Marlyn here!

Now that you mention hair, Barbara, mine had been falling out in handfuls but has stopped. However I think it had stopped before the stem cells. I took that to mean the infection had abated and my immune system was somewhat better. I know that hair loss is a sure sign of something wrong with the immune system. My daughter is still losing handfuls, and also using special shampoos etc for hair loss.
Now, if only energy would improve!! So glad to know yours has.
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Alpha lipoic acid

Since many of us take alpha lipoic acid, I asked Dr. Ghen to elaborate a little more on what he meant as large doses. Here is his reply:

Alpha Lipoic acid typically comes as 100-200 Mg.?s. But doses as high as 1000 Mgs. Are often given to patients depending on their condition. The R-Form of ALA is much more absorbable and can reduce the dosage needed. The best dose for you, is the right dose based on your history.

Health,Happiness and hugs,
Dr. G

Achillian

Alpha Lipoic Acid

I wonder what the R stands for? I take 600mg daily, what dosage do others take?
I started taking it in recent weeks because I had it in infusions in Germany and felt it was the secret ingredient that gave me energy. I'd had all the other ingredients in infusions previously and felt they did nothing for me, but with the added ALA that changed. I suppose it could also be that the infection was under control.
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
R form info

Anne - This is taken from one of our affiliates Life Extensions. You can click on the Life Extensions icon on the Home Page to read more. I take 600mg's a day also, but I haven't been using the R form. I may try it, although my energy level is already very high. For the first six months after stem cell therapy, I took 1500mg a day.

Alpha lipoic acid consists of two different forms (isomers) that have vastly different properties. The ?R? form is the biologically active component (native to the body) that is responsible for lipoic acid?s phenomenal antioxidant effect. The ?S? form is produced from chemical manufacture and is not very biologically active. Alpha lipoic acid supplements consist of the ?R? and ?S? form in a 50/50 ratio. That means a 100 mg alpha lipoic acid supplement is providing 50 mg of the biologically active ?R? form.

The human body normally produces and uses R-lipoic acid, the active form. R-lipoic acid significantly reduces inflammatory reactions and has been shown to be more potent than the combined ?R? and ?S? form that comprise alpha lipoic acid.31-40*

When alpha lipoic acid is ingested, it is first converted to its reduced form, R-dihydro-lipoic acid, where the main action of lipoic acid is initiated. R-dihydro-lipoic acid is the reduced (or active) form of R-lipoic acid. R-dihydro-lipoic acid produces the majority of the results attributed to R-lipoic acid and alpha lipoic acid. By consuming R-dihydro-lipoic acid, you are obtaining the form of R-lipoic acid that is immediately available to cells. R-dihydro-lipoic acid is only available in liquid capsules because it is itself a liquid and must be kept sealed from air.

Last edited: