Medicinal mushrooms

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I wasn't sure where to post this because this mushroom seems to have something good for everyone. I was recently on a COPD forum and one of the moderators said mushrooms had nothing to do with COPD and banned all mushroom posts. I beg to differ and since it is silly to censor posts about mushrooms, I am posting what I have recently learned. My stem cell therapy included a post stem cell protocol of supplements and diet. Not all companies include this, but I think it is of interest to anyone concerned about their health.

Here is the excerpt from "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" by Alan Keith Tillotson, Ph.D., A.H.G., D.Ay

CORDYCEPS MUSHROOM

Cordyceps mushroom is sweet and bland in taste and warming in action. It strengthens immunity and fortifies and heals the lungs and kidneys.

Rating: GOLD (meaning one of the best)

Safety Issues: None known

Starting Dosage: Dried powder: 2 grams two to three times per day or 1:5 tincture: 10-15 drops two to three times per day (I find tinctures very easy to use because you can put them in a glass of juice - Barb)

Winter worm summer flower is the direct translation from Chinese of this amazing mushroom that grows out of caterpillar larvae in the Himalayas. TCM (tradtional Chinese medicine) doctors use it medicinally to treat chronic cough, wheezing from deficiency, EMPHYSEMA, and consumptive cough. Because it tonifies both Yin and Yang (what Chinese medicine is based on), it is very safe and can be taken over a long period of time to stimulate endocrine function, reduce fatigue, and calm nervousness. Cordyceps was reportedly used at the Olympics by Chinese women's track and field teams to enhance performance when they set nine world records. From the scientific point of view, attention has focused on chaga's (another type of medicinal mushroom) immune-enhancing and cancer-fighting properties. At our clinic, we find Cordyceps most useful for treating LUNG and kidney weakness of any variety. We also use it with other medicinal mushrooms after cancer therapy to strengthen the immune system. Although, it is clear that similar nutrients in most medicinal mushrooms are generally found to stimulate immunity, it is also obvious that various mushrooms have different actions when given to living beings.

Cordyceps, like many medicinal mushrooms, contains complex sugars(especially beta 1,3 glucan) and other nutrients (nucleosides, triterpenoids) which seem to strongly nourish and activate various components of the immune system, useful in treating cancer, chronic fatigue, and other immune disorders (Borchers et al, 1999, Nakamura et al, 1999)
It also seems to have value in treating nephritis (Lin et al, 1999; Li et al, 1996)
Cordyceps may help the immune system recognize tumors that otherwise might escape immune surveillance (Chiu et al, 1998).
Other benefits include positive effects on the cardiovascular and nervous systems and an antiaging effect (Zhu et al, 1998)

hlichten

Super Moderator
Are you using the dried powder to make your tincture?
Where are you buying the powder from?

It has been a long time since I made any tinctures.
Do you boil or soak the mushroom powder in a high-proof alcohol?

Sounds like a "good for all that ails you" type of tonic like ginseng is?
I also like what ginseng does, and don't know why I don't take it regularly.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am not making my own tincture at this point Harv. I bought the capsule form and Jeannine is going to use the liquid form. I started taking these yesterday and this morning I woke up with a 97 saturation reading on my oximeter. That is like a normal person. I am ecstatic and will keep the forum posted. I did triple the dosage that was on the bottle that I bought after our research found that this would be necessary for COPD. There are no known problems with doing that so I feel safe. If this is a product that proves to make a real difference for me, the forum will research and find out where we can purchase the best quality at the best price and offer it to our members. There does seem to be a quality issue with some companies and therefore, it is as always buyer beware.

hlichten

Super Moderator
...I did triple the dosage that was on the bottle that I bought after our research found that this would be necessary for COPD. ...
You didn't quadruple it???

Wow, you are really going conservative on us!! :)

Where are you getting the capsules from?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mushroom madness

I bought these locally, however, I have sent a message to a company that looks promising for our forum members. I hope to hear from them next week.

kathy

Pioneer Member
Cordyceps Mushroom

Barbara did you by any chance hear from the company you spoke of? I looked up the cordycep mushrooms, but would have no clue as to "who to trust" on buying them. Hope to hear from you soon....thanks,kathy

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mushroom testing

Kathy - Jeannine and I are testing three different products from three separate companies. We will make a decision soon (in the next two weeks) as to which company we feel we want to recommend to our forum members. We are even considering a private label so that we can price it at a discount for forum members. I am surprised to find that they are not all exactly the same as to effect. Hang in there and we promise to deliver a high quality product for our members.

Bev12452

Can't wait

I will be waiting not so patiently for your results and info for the rest of us I got a letter from SCB with mushrooms listed as a supplement they suggested we take but I didn't check into it because no one here had mentioned it anyway I need the extra o2 numbers I WANT OFF THE CHAIN if you and Jeannine would like additional volunteers I am available I will try anything Hope you are having a great day

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Impatient Syndrome needs blocking

Bev - We are very close to a decision. Like I said, I was surprised to notice a difference in brands. We want the best for all of you and that's why we are testing 3 different brands. In the meantime, remember, not to let the Impatient Syndrome get you down. I am almost at my one year anniversary and am still seeing a lot of improvement daily. It amazes me, but it has taken close to a year. This is a slow process and I am firmly convinced that for COPD patients and others with chronic illnesses especially, good diet and additional supplements are something we are going to have to be aware of for the rest of our lives. We have to take care of our immune systems and keep inflammation down. Also, I have stepped up my PowerLung exercises in the last couple of weeks and I am amazed at how much that has helped. I am now doing 4 sets a day rather than two. It doesn't take much time or effort and the difference is really noticeable. Our health is something we have to fight for daily. I would love to have a day off from it all, but it just isn't going to happen for me. I don't want to slide back even a little tiny bit. I just keep looking forward. Believe me, I will report on the mushrooms immediately upon our decision.