Xcell Center Germany Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaci's Mom

Hi,
I'm not trying to get into this "argument", but I really think this is all just a BIG misunderstanding! The reality is Dave and I are both just sitting in the same boat right now. Both of us have young children with CP. And (I know for me anyway) thanks to this forum with it's abundance of invaluable information, it is apparent autologous stem cells seem to be a very credible source. With that said, having a young child with CP and searching for a clinic that will treat a "young child" with their own bone marrow, is no easy task. You have to leave the country, there's no other choice. I have been, like Dave, just looking for information. I just can't recall ever seeing any clinical information on ANY stem cell website offering treatments. Actually the only real clinical information I have obtained concerning Cerebral Palsy is through Google searches for Drs. Ramirez, Steenblock, and Payne (Thank you guys for that!). X-Cell just happens to be one of few clinics that treats children for CP. And the reality is, (I'm pretty sure anyway) this the ONLY stem cell forum that has ANY information about X-Cell that's even close to current! I rely a lot on of information I get from here. And appreciate reading the good and the bad when it comes to "what's out there".

Anyway, as I said in the beginning, what started out as a search for answers seems to have turned in to a big misunderstanding. I personally can say I am less than likely to purse treatment for Kaci at X-Cell because of what I've learned from here. However, that doesn't mean I'm not open to finding out all I can.
Thanks.
Kristin

alex

I have been following this thread and I do have a question.

There is a lot of talk regarding scientific evidence and studies regarding stem cell treatments.

I know of one study (I think it was a study) performed by Dr. Ramirez in concert with Dr. Steenblock, regarding children with CP.

Which clinics or doctors, performing stem cell treatments, are providing scientific evidence or studies?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
With over 200 stem cell clinics worldwide, I can't provide an answer for most of them. This is something patients should ask however when they research treatment facilities. I am not advocating that small clinics and doctors should be expected to do full blown FDA approved clinical trials costing millions of dollars, but if they are going to track patients as X-Cell claims they have done and then do a study as X-Cell claims to have done, then this should be published, preferably in a peer reviewed publication. Otherwise, anyone could write anything they wanted to and post it on the internet. X-Cell is large enough to be doing published work and shouldn't think they can fool people by simply putting their "study" in a pdf and having it available on site, but that's what they are doing.

Dr. Centeno is an excellent example of someone who is concerned with patient safety. Here is a link to some of his papers (note that he does have one on safety). http://www.centenoschultz.com/Educational_Links_YVMO.html

Dr. Javier Lopez of Regenerative Medicine Institute is currently doing cardiac trials in conjunction with BioHeart. Kristin from BioHeart has promised to post the results that Dr. Lopez has so far as soon as she returns from a trip so watch for that. Dr. Lopez is also conducting clinical trials for COPD and two different eye diseases. His work is conducted under the Mexican Ministry of Health regulations.

I think it is impossible to not track patients and claim efficacy of anything more than an anecdotal nature otherwise.

Dr. Riordan and Tom Ichim (CellMedicine) publish a lot of articles. Many of them are posted on this forum. http://tiny.cc/0b847

Dr. James Braly has written numerous books and published articles. He works with Dr. Ramirez and is our host this month for the Ask the Doctor forum.

Dr. Grossman has published several papers, has co-authored several books and is pursuing clinical trials for IPF and COPD in the near future.

Beike recently published a paper on safety. The information was posted on this forum several weeks ago. http://www.beikebiotech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=433&Itemid=100012

ICMS offers all companies an opportunity to use their Patient Registry. ICMS does the work of the follow up. How hard is that? I inquired about X-Cell and was told that ICMS has made numerous attempts at trying to contact them. They have been non responsive.

Look through the Ask the Doctor threads. I always ask for bios from the hosts. You can also Google information on doctors and clinics very easily and get a lot of information that way as well.

Here is some good insight from Dr. Centeno on research. I just received this today from him.

Dear all,

As you know, we are a research based practice, meaning that we publish more research than any other non-university based pain practice in Colorado. I just spent a few hours indexing our National Library of Medicine citations for our web-site and I thought you might be interested, see http://www.centenoschultz.com/Educational_Links_YVMO.html. These are our 24 indexed articles only, there about another 10 that aren't indexed and thus aren't on this list.

Research is a sort of a thankless endeavor as a private practitioner. A simple editorial may take a few hours to up to 10 hours to polish. A full blown research paper involving hundreds of subjects (we have two more of those just submitted for publication so not listed here) can literally take 100 hours or more to compile, write, polish, and re-polish, then another 5-20 hours to rewrite parts for picky peer reviewers. If you're in academia, it's publish or perish, so there are significant benefits to taking the time to publish your work like promotions and grants, etc... In private practice, you do this because it simply needs to be done.

Christopher J. Centeno, M.D.

This speaks volumes to me. For some, it's not all about the money. A nice balance can be achieved in my opinion. Patients can thank doctors like Dr. Centeno and the others that publish for legitimizing stem cell therapy. They are truly Pioneers and have my utmost respect.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks Alex.

I also forgot to mention that Jeannine and I with a consultant that we recruited, administered the Stem Cell Advance (now Stemtrition) Treatment Protocol for over two years. We liked the product, but had to prove efficacy. The consultant in collaboration with Dr. Young will now be using the information to incorporate the product into another study that they hope to be able to get funding for in the near future.
If Jeannine and I can put together a protocol (keeping in mind that we do have serious health concerns and limited resources), then what really is X-Cell's excuse? It could be fear of exposure I guess or it could be that the money is so good, they think why take a few moments out to do some studies? I really don't know why, but those reasons come to mind.

dlbelbin

Wow!

Wow! Wow! Wow!
I have so much to say but will not. When I first started posting about Xcell, it was out of frustration. Could I now be considered a paid recruiter for posting our experiences? Why should we post only to be met with argument? Is this not an open forum? Why the argument against Xcell and the support of other ?specific? clinics? This is one of the reasons for not posting. I apologize to those that seek continued information on my family?s progress either good or bad.

This is about ASCT and the hopes of improving the quality of life for us or loved ones. Not of arguing and pointing fingers to clinics or to individuals. I do thank the argument; it did help in my research of clinics and assisted with my decision.

The ?proving? of personal success or failure has got to stop. The successes of folks treated from the Xcell center is only met with distrust, suggested as paid recruiters, or other. It does not matter what clinic, but I think all walk of life?s adventures should be more positively received, good or bad.

When it comes to money, well, I guess it?s time to go.

All things going well with my family.

David

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
If this weren't an open forum, this thread would have been removed. This forum was started to provide support for patients as well as to discuss stem cell therapies. I asked for anyone to respond to me about X-Cell and I received many responses ranging from a government run stem cell resource center to a group of doctors who oppose what is going on at X-Cell. I posted some of what I received, but not all of it as some was sent in confidence. I did not receive any positive responses from the professional stem cell community. X-Cell could put this matter to rest by getting on with their promised research studies and publishing results. Since, their sales rep does read this forum, I would suggest he urge the CEO to get on with them. I am sorry you do not feel this is needed.
I know you have been busy and weren't posting on your blog either for awhile, so it is good to know you are doing well.
I did not red flag X-Cell, but they certainly do not fall into the same category as other clinics who are making real efforts to move stem cell therapy forward and who are cooperative and helpful on this forum. I feel I have explained my position many times, so you have to understand my frustration as well when no one seems to find any importance in studies, follow up, cooperation, ICMS membership and favorable reports from those in the know. These are all lacking with X-Cell. If you feel you got your money's worth, than for you that is all that is needed. I have an obligation to make it clear to other readers that your experience from all the information I have received and gathered, is probably unique.

Last edited:

pink7

Child's Death

It is worrying that Doctors are doing these procedures on children in Germany.It is really sad for the family of the little boy.

dschroed

I did look into this. It was not a stem cell procedure that caused this. I do not know too much about the procedure that was being performed when this happened. The doctor is no longer there and is being prosecuted but the clinic was cleared, apparently. It is very sad and very unfortunate, no matter what was done.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Can you provide us with the information to verify this? It would be appreciated.
What about the 10 year old boy who almost died? Do you have information on that as well?

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Here is what X-Cell says on its site:

For Our Patients - Official Response to Recent Events
October 26, 2010

Dear prospective patients,

It is our mission to provide you with the most promising autologous stem cell treatments in a safe, ethical and professional manner. We therefore believe that it is our duty to inform you publicly about recent events that have been the target of biased, erroneous and even undercover reporting methods in the news media in order to defame us.

Over the past few months, two young children with most severe forms of cerebral palsy suffered serious complications during their neuro-endoscopy procedures; one resulting in a very unfortunate death which everyone at the XCell-Center deeply regrets. However, one must realize that all medical procedures are associated with limitations and risks; especially in situations with severely disabled patients.

Brain surgery is a serious medical intervention with much higher risks than less invasive procedures. The more invasive, the higher the risk, and in many cases, the higher the potential benefit. This balance must be judged in each individual patient, especially in the cases of children, by the treating doctor in close collaboration with their parents. Unfortunately, one of our neurosurgeons has, in our opinion, failed to correctly assess the risk-benefit-ratio in a few patients. Consequently, after the first complication, the surgeon was issued a warning. After the second complication, the employment contract of this particular neurosurgeon was terminated. These complications occurred due to the surgery itself. Consequently, these events are unrelated to the stem cells. The events were reported to the health authorities by XCell-Center.

When severe medical complications occur, it is a routine procedure to investigate. The public prosecutor, Christoph Kumpa confirmed in a statement that, "The inquiry is directed towards this specific doctor and her actions and not XCell-Center."

So far, more than 100 brain surgeries have been performed at the XCell-Center with about 2 percent complication rate. This complication rate is on the very low side by international comparison. Overall, XCell-Center surgeons do an excellent job. However, whenever 100 brain surgeries are performed within the span of 12 months there will be some level of complications. Because of this potential risk, all neurosurgical patients receive personal counseling from the operating neurosurgeon during which time they are informed of possible complications. After that, they all sign a comprehensive, written informed consent document.

Due to the above clarified complications, brain surgeries as well as lumbar punctures and other spinal procedures were temporarily put on hold. However, this moratorium for lumbar punctures and spinal procedures was lifted within a week. Safety reports of 1500 lumbar punctures and at least 400 in children exist. To date, no patient has reported a serious complication. Apart from the typical symptoms of lumbar puncture such as headache, vomiting, backache which are transient albeit intense, there are no other adverse reactions. So far the facts clearly demonstrate that lumbar puncture is a very safe method of application. Many patients, including children, have considerably improved after receiving this treatment. Every week the XCell-Center receives emails from parents expressing their thanks and happiness with the results. Video and written documentation of many patients' improvements are published on the XCell-Center web site and Facebook page. There are many others catalogued in our patient files.

With regards to the sensationalized stories currently published in the news media, journalists crave miracles or scandal because anything in between simply doesn't sell. Unfortunately, because the XCell-Center isn't offering miracles, we are wrongly accused of perpetuating scandal while the real story, that many patients experience numerous levels of improvement after treatment, remains largely untold.

Several academic institutions suggest that XCell-Center harms stem cell research, however they consistently fail to point out that the XCell-Center is the only stem cell institute producing cell products under governmental GMP approval and that it is authorized by the competent governmental authorities to collect, process and release stem cell products while at the same time, administering such stem cell products in a controlled setting. This includes a clear indication setting, clearly defined inclusion and exclusion criteria, and status measurements of the patient via radiological scans, laboratory testing and cognitive and physical determinations as well as video documentation for each individual patient. Moreover, the Xcell-Center is actually conducting a preclinical and clinical research program at the level that is required by the EMA (European Medicines Agency) and the US FDA. Worldwide, the first placebo controlled clinical study in patients with spinal cord injury has commenced. We intend to file in the near future for obtaining marketing authorization for several neurological indications and other life threatening conditions. After approval, the stem cell treatment will be made commonly available throughout the EU and US.

By Robert Mendick and Alasdair Palmer
Published: 23 Oct 2010
This is from the Sunday Telegraph, the last paragraph being the most perplexing in my opinion:

Baby death scandal at German stem cell clinic

The XCell-Center

Europe's largest stem cell clinic which treats hundreds of British patients a year is at the centre of a scandal following the death of an 18-month-old baby who was given a controversial injection in the brain, it can be revealed.

A doctor who worked at the clinic is now under criminal investigation over the child's death in August and the serious injury caused to a second child in another alleged botched operation three months earlier.
The clinic has been accused of bungling the operations and failing to respond quickly enough when the surgery went wrong.

The XCell-Center, based in D?sseldorf, has attracted thousands of patients with incurable illnesses from all over the world.

The clinic claims its technique for stem cell transplantation has had success in treating 17 different diseases including cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, autism, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart disease, diabetes and spinal cord injuries.

Such stem cell treatments, which typically cost between ?10,000 and ?20,000, are banned in the UK and most other European countries unless as part of a clinical trial because there is still no scientific proof that they work.

A Sunday Telegraph undercover reporter who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is confined to a wheelchair was told last week during a consultation at the XCell-Center that he could walk again.

According to XCell, about 25 British patients a month ? including children with severe disabilities ? are treated at its clinic in D?sseldorf and at another in nearby Cologne.

The treatment involves taking bone marrow from patients, harvesting stem cells from the bone marrow and then reinjecting those stem cells into other parts of the body, including the brain, the spine and the neck.

But XCell is now under scrutiny following the death of a child in August, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The 18-month-old boy, whose Romanian parents lived in Italy, was injected in the brain with stem cells and subsequently died.

In May a 10-year-old boy from Azerbaijan almost died when the same procedure went wrong. His family is suing the clinic.

Criminal prosecutors are investigating the death and the case of the other child, who is now understood to be more severely disabled than when first treated at the clinic.

Dr Michael Sabel, chief neurosurgical consultant at the University Hospital D?sseldorf, has accused XCell of failing to react quickly enough when the 10-year-old boy began to suffer internal bleeding in the brain.

The child was brought to his hospital where he underwent life-saving emergency surgery.

Dr Sabel then wrote a letter to authorities warning them a child could die if the procedure was repeated at the clinic.

Three months later the Romanian boy died after being rushed to a hospital, about a 15-mile drive from D?sseldorf. Dr Sabel is mystified why the child wasn't brought to his hospital five minutes away.

Dr Sabel told The Sunday Telegraph: "What we had was an unjustified surgical procedure with complications which was then not properly dealt with. They had injected the stem cell into the brainstem, which is the most delicate
structure in the brain."

Dr Uta-Kristein Tamaschke, the doctor who injected the children and who had pioneered the stem cell transplant into the brain, is no longer working at the XCell-Center.

Christoph Kumpa, the public prosecutor in the case, said: "The inquiry as far as I am concerned is directed towards this specific doctor and her actions and not the firm.

"We are dealing with a mountain of medical paperwork at the moment. Should it come to legal proceedings, they will not take place before the summer of next year at the earliest." He said XCell was co-operating with his office.

The Paul-Ehrlich Institute, which regulates medicines in Germany, produced a report following the death which concluded that XCell's procedure for injecting stem cells into the brain had been conducted with "damaging consequences".

It said the treatment was "precarious" and that under German law such "precarious" treatments are illegal and should stop.

The XCell-Center was sent a list of questions by The Sunday Telegraph to respond to last week. In an email sent on Thursday, the clinic promised to answer but had failed to do so by the time of going to press October 22.

From the Stem Cell Network Blog

OCTOBER 22, 2010

Questions raised about XCell Center
In recent years the Stem Cell Network has worked closely with its international colleagues to shed light on clinics offering ?stem cell? therapies for which there is scant scientific evidence. One such initiative is A Closer Look at Stem Cell Treatments, a web resource created by the International Society for Stem Cell Research, and a useful reference for those considering treatment options outside of Canada.

One assumption often made is that such rogue clinics operate primarily out of exotic locations such as China, Thailand, or closer to home, Mexico. However, reprinted here is a story that appeared a few days ago in WirtschaftsWoche (a leading German weekly business news magazine) about XCell Center, a private company based in D?sseldorf, Germany and one of the leading advertisers of stem-cell based therapies on the web.

Death forces authorities to place restrictions on the D?sseldorf company XCell

by Susanne Kutter, October 16, 2010

Cornelis Kleinbloesem is a shrewd entrepreneur. For almost a year now, patients with incurable diseases, and parents with mentally and physically handicapped children have been travelling from all over the world to receive treatment at his XCell Center in D?sseldorf. There, they hope for a cure for themselves or their children from the stem cell therapy that he and his team of doctors offer ? at a cost of up to 18,500 Euro. Serious stem cell researchers have just begun carrying out studies to test the effectiveness of such treatments, and now consider the belief that the XCell treatment can succeed to be utopian.

Kleinbloesem?s claims of success could now be his downfall. Some of the 3,500 treatments he asserts have been carried out have gone terribly wrong. Stem cells were injected into the brain of an 18-month-old boy, who hours later collapsed and died in the children?s neurosurgery ward of the Helios Clinic in Krefeld. ?The medical records have been confiscated,? verified D?sseldorf District Attorney Christoph Kumpa. A doctor at XCell had previously injected stem cells into the brain of a 10-year-old boy from Azerbaijan last Easter, causing cranial bleeding that almost killed him. The family is currently filing suit with the D?sseldorf District Attorney?s Office (WirtschaftsWoche 16 and 32/2010). Three further near-catastrophes are also known to have come to the attention of WirtschaftsWoche.

Kleinbloesem and his dubious stem cell therapies fall into a legal gray area, and will continue to do so until at least the end of this year. Since this death, however, even authorities who previously saw no possibility for intervention have become active.

The Paul Ehrlich Institute in Langen, the organization responsible for stem cell issues nationwide, has drawn up an experts? report that categorizes the use of stem cells, at least in the brain, as questionable and therefore forbidden. Excerpts have been made available to WirtschaftsWoche: ?According to current scientific understanding, the XCell Center?s stipulated use of stem cell treatments has damaging effects that far exceed any tenable limits within medical science.?

The state authorities have set a deadline for the company to react to these allegations ? the first step on the way to prohibiting the therapy. The Dominikus Hospital in D?sseldorf-Heerdt (two floors of which have been leased out to XCell for a period of ten years) is also distancing itself from the company: ?XCell wanted to work more closely with us in children?s anaesthesia and intensive care, but we refused,? said Hospital Manager Verena H?lken.

XCell did not respond to questions posed by WirtschaftsWoche, but Kleinbloesem did react. He fired the doctor who had operated on the children and announced to authorities that his clinic will no longer perform treatments on the brain. In fact, a few days ago his employees sent a family from Spain back home again, explaining to them that, ?The German government has forbidden this treatment.?

It sounds like X-Cell is under the gun after what has happened.

Stem cell law loopholes allow XCell-Center to operate in Germany
The XCell-Center, which would be banned in the UK, has been able to thrive in Germany due to a legal loophole about to be closed under new European legislation.

By Robert Mendick, Chief Reporter, Telegraph
24 Oct 2010

Stem cells have promised to provide a revolution in healthcare.
The law governing stem cell clinics is extremely complex.
The UK classifies stem cell treatments as medicines. This means that before procedures can be licensed, the therapies must undergo the same kind of rigorous trials as those used for other medicines.

The time it takes to prove scientifically that the treatment both works and is safe has allowed clinics like XCell to spring up abroad attracting foreign patients in large numbers. Such treatments are also currently unavailable in the US and in many other countries in Europe.
But how much longer XCell will be allowed to operate in Germany is not clear.
A European Union regulation passed in 2007 now defines stem cell transplantation as a medicine and Germany has come into line with that. Under the regulation, XCell has until 2012 to show its treatments are effective and safe.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
One man's story- I travelled in hope to stem cell clinic

It could be an uphill battle for X-Cell to prove efficacy for all the conditions they treat. This man is no different from the rest of us looking for something that can help him. I thought his story was well told.

The XCell-Centre holds out hope of a treatment for incurable diseases. Alasdair Palmer, who has MS, travelled to D?sseldorf for a consultation.

By Alasdair Palmer
22 Jun 2010

Link to video http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/8082001/Hope-of-a-cure-at-Europes-largest-stem-cell-clinic.html
Hope is important to everyone, but it is particularly precious to those who suffer from an incurable disease. I am one of that group. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis nearly 20 years ago.
I now have to use a wheelchair, and the future is not particularly rosy. So whenever I hear that there has been a new scientific development which could turn out to be a cure, or which could at least halt the progression of the disease, I start to hope.

I know that, on every occasion in the past, the news of a cure has turned out to be false: the claims that the new treatment can reverse MS have, on closer inspection, all turned out to be bogus.
But I can't stop myself from hoping that this time it's different: this time the elixir really has been found.
Like everyone else with a neurological disease, my hopes have been, and are, raised by stem cell research.
In theory, there is every chance that eventually, stem cells ? the cells which have the potential to convert themselves into any kind of specialist cell in the body, from brain and nerve cells to the cells that make up your skin or your liver ? might eventually provide an effective treatment for MS.
But progress towards that goal is in practice proving to be agonisingly slow, not least because everything that has the potential to do good can also do harm.
It requires a great deal of research to show that a therapy isn't going to be damaging. The history of medicine is littered with treatments that seemed to be miracle cures, but turned out to be harmful.
Even techniques such as heart transplants, which are now routinely practised and save thousands of lives around the world every year, started by killing all the patients who had them.
None the less, when I was asked by the editor of The Sunday Telegraph to investigate a medical centre in D?sseldorf that offers stem cell treatment to those who can afford to pay for it, I was immediately intrigued.
I'm aware that a British doctor has been struck off the medical register in this country for offering such treatments. I've also written sceptical articles about the claims made by doctors who say they can provide stem cell "cures" for MS.
I've also read non-technical summaries of the scientific papers published in medical journals which point to the difficulties with existing stem cell techniques, and to the fact that there is as yet no trial which has provided solid evidence of their benefits.
And yet ? there is always the possibility that a brilliant medical researcher has come up with a very effective technique which, while it has not yet been proved to be effective, actually is.
So in spite of my well-rehearsed scepticism, the XCell-Centre in D?sseldorf got my hopes up. A quick glance at its website demonstrates that its doctors are very confident that their stem cell treatment is effective in treating MS and other neurological diseases.
My hope focused on a single thought: it is surely not impossible that they have found something that works. And if it is not impossible ? mightn't it be worth trying?
I booked myself a consultation with Professor Doctor Haberland. I was immediately informed that it would cost 300 euros, and that I would have to pay before the consultation.
The X-Cell Centre is housed in a large hospital building overlooking the Rhine. As I waited for my appointment, it was clear that everyone else who was waiting for a consultation suffered from the same hope that I did.
Some of them were considerably more desperate for a cure than I am. One woman with advanced Parkinson's Disease ? she had travelled all the way from the United States ? told me quite simply that she knew the treatment wasn't scientifically proven.
She even realised that there was a significant chance it wouldn't work. "But what is my alternative?", she asked plaintively. "For me, there is none, except waiting until I degenerate to the point where I die, or want to die."
Our conversation was interrupted because I was called in to my meeting with Professor Haberland.
He is a genial man with an air of intense professional competence: he is a trained neurosurgeon who has spent most of his career working on injuries to the spinal cord. He was friendly and patient.
He said that his treatment consisted of taking stem cells from the patient's bone marrow, separating them, and then injecting them.
"We have some amazing results with this treatment," he told me.
He insisted that the best results came from combining this approach with an operation developed by an Italian doctor named Zamboni, which involved, Prof Haberland said, widening veins in the patient's neck.
Zamboni had, Prof Haberland claimed, established that many neurological conditions were connected to a narrowing of these veins.
When the operation to widen them was used in conjunction with the injection of stem cells, "you have a win-win situation ? 80 per cent of our patients report improvements".
He pointed to a Dutch patient who had been in a wheelchair prior to the operation, but after it, had been able to walk.
So if I had the treatment, would I be able to walk? "You would have a chance", Prof Haberland replied. "The response is very different from patient to patient. But you would have a chance." And it would only cost about 19,500 euros.
Against my better judgement, I felt my hopes rising. But there were also some questions. How did Prof Haberland know how successful the treatment was? What was the follow up? "We ask patients to fill in a questionnaire three months after the operation, and we see them here and test them after six months", he said.
There is, however, considerable doubt whether a patient questionnaire has any value, since it is not an objective measure.
There is still more doubt as to how many patients actually bother to travel all the way to D?sseldorf for an assessment by the centre six months after the operation.
Moreover, Prof Haberland said he had only been doing the double operation ? the combination of stem cells and widening the veins in the patient's neck ? for six months.
How, I wondered, could there be any reliable data from such a short period? Would Prof Haberland be publishing his results? No, he said: he had no plans to. "We need more cases and then we need to make a double blind study in multi centres. This is a long way off."
But if Prof Haberland hasn't enough patients for a proper trial ? how can he be sure even that his operation isn't harmful, let alone that it actually benefits patients?
He was unequivocal that because he uses stem cells from the patient's own body, injecting those cells can't hurt the patient.
It certainly sounds plausible. But no one can know until there has been a large-scale study.
Professor Neil Scolding of Bristol University followed six patients with MS after they had been injected with stem cells taken from their bone marrow for over a year.
Careful monitoring showed that none of the patients were harmed. But the evidence of benefit was less certain: rather than any improvement, it suggested that the patients' condition had stabilised instead of deteriorating further.
It became increasingly obvious in the course of my discussion with Prof Haberland that he does not have any clear, objective and verifiable evidence that his treatment provides the sort of benefits that he claims for it.
It is not even clear that he and the hospital have followed up their patients at all. I asked for any records showing objective evidence of how patients improved after the operation. None have been provided.
That was not enough to extinguish my hopes altogether, however, for Prof Haberland is very persuasive.
He is a subtle salesman. He held out the possibility that I would experience enormous benefits from his operation ? but he did not promise them outright. That leaves just enough room for hope to do its work of eroding doubt.
I recorded my interview with Prof Haberland, and showed a transcript to Prof Scolding, an internationally-recognised neurologist and expert on stem cell treatments for MS.
Prof Scolding noted that Prof Haberland's claims about what bone marrow stem cells can do are not, in principle, wrong ? but he also pointed out that that is quite different from showing that his treatment can or does make the symptoms of anyone with MS improve.
Prof Scolding was more forthright in his criticism of Prof Haberland's claims for the "vein clearing" operation developed by Zamboni.
"There are potentially serious consequences for stenting for this so-called condition ? one patient has died in the US," Prof Scolding stated.
"There is emerging published evidence that there is no link between venous drainage in the neck and MS.
"Applying this 'treatment' to patients with Parkinson's and other neurological conditions ... is extremely eccentric."
He added: "If patients had genuinely responded to [Prof Haberland's] evidence-free combination of stem cell therapy and vein clearing treatment, it would be scandalous for him not to have published his results.
"To my mind, if they are persuading often-desperate patients to pay large sums of money for treatments that have no sustainable evidence to support them, it is cynically exploitative and a disgrace to the practice of medicine."
That, to me, sums it up perfectly. It extinguished whatever hope Prof Haberland had kindled in me.

dschroed

This article is very discouraging for anyone hoping SCT will help them. X-cell is no different than the Mexican clinics promoting treatment. Biogenisis is offering the CCSVI scanning and treatment in conjunction with SCT also, just for more money. All of the clinics say they have promising results, yet none say they cure anything. Fortuately, I do not hold very high regard for the UK Telegraph which reminds me of the US National Enquirer. The CCSVI treatment is being researched worldwide with at least 3 studies recruiting in the US at this time and the National MS society is backing this research.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
X-Cell is different than some clinics as they are not doing any clinical studies. RMI, for instance, is involved in several clinicals under the Mexican Ministry of Health. The reason that clinics are not claiming they have a cure is because there is no cure at this time. Any clinic that claims they have a cure had darn well better be prepared to prove it.

It is frustrating and disappointing that advancements in medical treatments seem to take so long, but on the other hand, it is encouraging to now have hope and at least therapies that are stopping the progression of many diseases.

X-Cell really needs to get rolling on the studies they have promised for so long. If they are claiming that 80% of MS patients are helped with their therapy, then they should be backing this up with clinical evidence. This would prove the naysayers wrong and would have patients waiting in line for treatment. Being ill makes us want to believe, but it should not make us disregard common sense.

bern98

Stem Cells and COPD

Hi Barbara
I have noticed that you have had several procedures completed! Did any of these help your condition? If yes..where were they performed and at what cost?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Yes, I have had several stem cell treatments, not all successful, two outright disasters.

Stem cell therapy is not a magic bullet. You need to have reasonable expectations. For instance, if a patient's condition is severe, it is unrealistic to think that a single treatment will completely turn the condition around and that the patient will be completely healed. Beware of companies claiming high success rates and cures. Most are smart enough not to use the word cure, but many, such as X-Cell that was recently shut down, claimed very high rates of patients who had improved after their treatment. This company never backed up its claims with scientific evidence and to me, that was like a huge warning light in my brain telling me that they were merely treating anyone who could pay, no matter what their condition was and that post treatment follow up was not a priority. It's devastating for desperately ill patients to be preyed upon, but it is also reality, so as always, it's Buyer Beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.