John Henry

Judge Won't Let Stem Cell Money Keep Flowing

Published September 07, 2010

| Associated Press

* Print
* Email
* Comments (10)
* Text Size

WASHINGTON -- A federal judge has turned down the Justice Department's request to temporarily delay his order that could shut down federal funding for some stem cell research.
U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth on Tuesday turned down federal officials' request for a stay.

Lamberth blocked federal dollars from going to certain stem cell research on grounds the research could violate a law prohibiting use of taxpayer dollars in work that destroys a human embryo.

The Justice Department wanted to keep the money flowing until an appeal could be heard of Lamberth's ruling. But Lamberth turned down the request.

Some scientists believe stem cell research could eventually lead to cures for spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's disease and other ailments.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
John Henry - Please sign the petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/PetitionforAdultStemCells/

John Henry - Did you sign the petition for adult stem cells? The article you posted concerns federally funded embryonic research only. I don't know if you are for or against embryonic stem cell research, but the matter that is most pressing today, in my opinion, is for us to be able to get adult stem cell therapies in the U.S.that are clinically relevant now. That's why we are circulating the petition. Embryonic stem cell research is decades away from being available to provide safe treatments for humans. Adult stem cell treatments are ready to go now and in fact are being used widely in many countries.

I hope you will sign the petition and pass it on to friends and family.