What is your feeling about Stem Cell Transplants?

What are your feelings about the treatment?

• would get it immediately if I knew more.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • would get it if I had the funds.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • you people are crazy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • would get it only if available in the US.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Darin

Administrator
Just wondering what you all felt about it. I am posting a poll to see what people really think. Feel free to post on the poll and then give a more detailed answer with a post.

Audie

Pioneer Member
How does one judge best kind of stem cell therapy?

I am interested in having stem cell therapy within the next 3 years. I am especially interested in others opinions about using one's own stem cells (as done in Argentina) and using umbilical cord stem cells (as done in San Diego/Mexico). I wonder if there is any way to tell ahead of time if one is better than the other for an individual's needs.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Audie - Good to see you post. I think since you are a Pioneer member that you have been able to see that at this time both procedures seem to be working. Stick with us and we will continue to post our progress. We are also hoping to hear from anyone else outside our Pioneer group that had therapy so that we can see how they are doing. Larry makes a good point also, when he says how can we compare when we all are in such varying stages of COPD, we are different ages, etc. I think in general, though as time goes by, we may see that the treatments seem to be producing the same results or that one is better than the other. We just haven't got a lot of data yet because the procedure is so new.

shazza

hi
i'll be having stem cell treatment in the dominican republic either later this year or early next!! im in contact with 2 mothers and there children have both had treatment there and its helped them both and a young women is now walking again after being told by drs that she'd never walk again!! and its thanks to this place but i'll be the 1st with my illness to have the treatment so im praying that it helps me
sharon

Darin

Administrator
hi
i'll be having stem cell treatment in the dominican republic either later this year or early next!! im in contact with 2 mothers and there children have both had treatment there and its helped them both and a young women is now walking again after being told by drs that she'd never walk again!! and its thanks to this place but i'll be the 1st with my illness to have the treatment so im praying that it helps me
sharon
Forgive me if you said it in another post, but what is your illness? Thank you and good luck.

shazza

hi darin
l had a type of encephalitis called acute disemminated encephalomyelitis its rare and attacks the brain and central nervous system and its left me unable to walk or talkmy right side is completely paralysed although l get normal feeling in it and my left side is very weak
sharon

Darin

Administrator
We will be definitely waiting to hear how it helps you. Is this something that you seeked out on your own. How did you go about making your decision?
Thank you,

shazza

hi darin
after l got ill l got so depressed!!! i'd gone from walking and talking, of being constantly active to barely able to do anything myself l cant even dress myself l cant make a phonecall, thank god l regained some use in my left hand so l can type and text but my sister saw some articles in the newspapers about a clinic in rotterdam that was helping loads of people and most were walking again there were some for who the therapy didnt work my sister and friends of mine fundraised and very quickly raised the money for me to go there but last year the dutch government investigated this clinic and closed it. l dont know if they were using animal stem cells and were passing them off as human but before this clinic was closed it was mentioned as a possibility. at 1st l was upset but then l got on the internet and started doing as much research as possible just now im not in a rush to go to the 1st clinic that offers a possible cure but want to choose one that gives me the best possible chance!!!
shazza (sharon)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I think you are doing the right thing in getting as much information as possible before making your decision. We discuss the clinic in Rotterdam on this forum in a couple of other posts. It is difficult to tell what really went on there. Maybe, someone from that area will see this and be able to give us better information. It is not easy getting caseloads of information from any of the companies. One of the reasons is that stem cell therapy is a relatively new treatment for many diseases. There aren't files of studies and reports dating back 10 years. In my case for COPD, I truly believe I was the first COPD patient ever treated by the company that I got the therapy from. They never were able to give me the name of anyone else. I was so tired of living with COPD. I truly believed in the doctor that is associated with this company, so I went ahead with the treatment. The Pioneer group had also worked for months gathering information. It is necessary to avoid scams, but even at that it takes a lot of faith and trust because communication can be difficult including language barriers in some instances. The forum is here so that we may all learn from each other. I know you will continue to keep us updated on your quest. If a company won't let you talk personally to the doctors involved, I would hesitate to have treatment there. It is a good idea to have a list of questions prepared in advance when you do speak to a doctor and ask for testimonials if possible from other patients. If they don't have any or won't give them to you, I would not consider this out of line, just disappointing. So many people today are reluctant to divulge any personal information. The Pioneers have chosen to make our information available to those who ask.

Darin

Administrator
hi darin
after l got ill l got so depressed!!! i'd gone from walking and talking, of being constantly active to barely able to do anything myself l cant even dress myself l cant make a phonecall, thank god l regained some use in my left hand so l can type and text but my sister saw some articles in the newspapers about a clinic in rotterdam that was helping loads of people and most were walking again there were some for who the therapy didnt work my sister and friends of mine fundraised and very quickly raised the money for me to go there but last year the dutch government investigated this clinic and closed it. l dont know if they were using animal stem cells and were passing them off as human but before this clinic was closed it was mentioned as a possibility. at 1st l was upset but then l got on the internet and started doing as much research as possible just now im not in a rush to go to the 1st clinic that offers a possible cure but want to choose one that gives me the best possible chance!!!
shazza (sharon)
You are absolutely going about this the right way. Not everyone of these places is all that they should be. I can't wait to hear what place you choose and also can't wait to hear how it goes once you get the treatment. The downfall is that most of these are not over night successes. Many take months to show a difference. My mother took 7 weeks to show measurable progress although she noticed slight differences from the get go. I am pulling for you. Good luck and stay in touch!!!

shazza

hi
thanks darin!!
amanda bryson the young with ms who had treatment in rotterdam was only back on her feet for 2 months and then she was back in her wheelchair and it was as if she'd never had the treatment you can find her story and many others on www.msrc.co.uk click on ms research news on the left and then stem cell treatment and research and then stem cell treatment!
sharon

felicia

amanda has done stem cells with dr.rader

My journey began on June 19, 1998, when my daughter Amanda was born. The doctors told me that Amanda had Cerebral Palsy. They said that she was very severe and had very extensive brain damage. Her brain scan showed that she had virtually no cortex left on the SPECT scan showed a devastating loss of the cortex. It also appeared that a large segment of the brain was missing due to brain edema. Like any parent I was in shock. I did not know what to do or where to turn.

As the days and months passed by we noticed she was not doing anything that she should be doing developmentally for the age of 9 months. Her head and spine arched back and always stayed on the left side with her head, and her eyes were always rolled up.

At the age of 9 months Amanda started doing Hyperbaric Oxygen. We noticed that her spascity was reduced, she was sleeping better, her nystagma was less and her vision improved. The next brain scan showed that there was more blood flow to her brain. We did Hyperbaric Oxygen for 1 year.

Amanda had turned 2 years old and she was better since the Hyperbaric Oxygen. She still had her head arched back but it was less. Her eyes would roll up less and her spasticity was less also. However, she was still not able to walk, talk, smile, or suck her bottle or look at us.

We heard about Fetal Stem Cell Therapy and I was very excited. I gave it a lot of thought about whether I should take Amanda or not, and I decided I would give it a try since I had nothing to loose because Amanda was already brain damaged enough. I followed my instinct and my heart.

We started to do Stem Cell Therapy when Amanda was 2 years old. Today Amanda is 9 years old and here are the changes we saw in the last 7 years with doing Fetal Stem Cells.
Amanda was not able to suck her bottle at the age of 2 but she now is able to suck her bottle and her sucking coordination came back.
Her eyes are more alive, alert and expressive. She now turns her head and eyes to look at me when I call her but before there was no response. Her hands are now more opened up too. The best thing that I love now is she is able to give me a huge smile. For me that smile means one million words! She is a lot more active and pays attention to what is going on around her and she understands a lot more too.
Amanda is now learning how to crawl, which is so amazing! She is able to stand up by herself for a few seconds. She wants to achieve it so badly that she puts all her energy into trying. We have done EEG?S and it has shown that her readings are much better. She is able to express herself with a sad face and she babbles more. I noticed she understand a lot more now they are periods that she does not eat breakfast and when I tell her if you eat daddy will play with you, within 10 minutes she is done her breakfast. At night she will call me and let me know she wants to drink, and goes back to sleep after her drinking this is a big step for her to call me, she is understanding more and more. Her brain scan showed an increase in the size of the cortex too. And now the best for last she mumbles ?MAMA? which is the best gift she could give me. We have gone for more stem cells and Amanda is improving a lot on her babbling more new sounds are coming out, she could go on for hours now and babble this is new for us. My husband also noticed when we ignore her now she will just look and say out loud HEY, she also is learning how to sit on her own when doing therapy, the therapist holds only her hands and the rest Amanda tries to balance herself. The new thing Amanda has just done is learned how to roll over, just 3 weeks ago I put Amanda on my bed with pillows on each side, I was gone for just 1 minute and I hear a boom, it was Amanda that rolled off my bed and fell on the floor. My god thank god she did not get hurt she landed on her belly. Now I know that Amanda is able to do a full roll over before 3 weeks ago she was not able, she would only go halfway and get stuck, I guess now she figured it out, and I put her on the floor from now on. Now she will look straight at me and start to talk to me in her babbles language. It feels good to have some sounds in the house now. I thank god everyday for giving her a chance to doing Fetal Stem Cells it has changed my life amazing and full of happiness in my heart.

There is a video of Ricci Kilgore she had an accident and left her with a spinal cord injury ever since stem cells with Dr. Rader she is able to walk now. Below is the video just click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbozmOL1kSY

If you need any help please email me.

Thank you

Felicia Gallo
email: felicia_gallo@yahoo.com

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This is amazing progress. What a wonderful story and one that certainly sounds like it is going to continue with much promise. I did take a look at the ms forum that Sharon mentioned. It is extremely extensive. I haven't been able to find the article about the Rotterdam clinic on there. However, if they were using live cells, this could be a reason that the therapy wore off. That's the problem with that type of cell therapy. I think it was the fact that this clinic could not document the source of the cells is why it was closed down. I am not positive and will continue to read the sight. If possible, perhaps you could send me in the right direction on there to find it. Welcome to all new members. I am very pleased that you have found us and hope you will continue to post your own experiences and to ask questions of any of the members on here.