Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Offer Hope to MS-Stricken Teen

stemcellpioneers

Administrator
Staff member
By Terry Vanderheyden
INVERNESS, Scotland, November 18, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A British teen who has multiple sclerosis now claims she is walking after umbilical cord stem cell therapy she traveled abroad to receive.
Wheelchair-bound since 2003, 19 year-old Amanda Bryson told The Herald that she has been walking daily since immediately after her treatment from a private clinic in the Netherlands Friday.
Believed to be the only British beneficiary of the umbilical cord stem cell therapy, Bryson said this week, "It sounds shocking, but I could feel the difference after just five minutes. Since the treatment I have been transformed. I am doing things I couldn't do a year ago. Hopefully I will be fully recovered in a year."
The private treatment from the PMC Clinic in Rotterdam cost Bryson and her family ?12,500 ($21,500 USD).
"Within 10 minutes after the treatment I went to the bathroom on my wheelchair, I went to stand up and I thought I was jumping off my chair," she told the BBC news. "It felt absolutely fantastic, brilliant. I thought at first 'this is in my mind,' but I spoke to the nurse who told me it happens, they've seen it happen plenty of times. That's the moment where it just filled me with hope for the future."
Bryson applauded the therapy that she said, because it was harmlessly derived from babies' umbilical cords after birth, was of no harm to them or anyone.
Bryson described the procedure: "Stem cells were injected into a solution which was put into my arm," she said, according to a Daily Record report. "Then, two doses were injected into the back of my neck to tackle the damage to my spine and brain. Then, there were three further injections into my belly. I was in the clinic for three to four hours."
"The stem cells are there to repair the damage to my cells," she added. "It is a progressive thing and could take months. But, considering there is a huge difference in just a few days, I am very hopeful. If the treatment is not working the way the clinic thinks it should, I will return for a top-up in six months. But the doctors are convinced I won't need it. They say I should make at least an 80 per cent recovery."
In an interview in 2003 with Dr. Peter Hollands, Scientific Director of Cells for Life, a private cord blood bank in Markham Ontario, LifeSiteNews.com asked him to comment on the widely held belief that embryonic stem cells might work better than umbilical stem cells, such as those from cord blood. Dr. Hollands said "Why may they work better? We do not even know if they (embryonic stem cells) will work at all! The public must know that adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are available, proven and ready to use for a range of diseases. We must get away from this idea of the promise of embryonic stem cells and look at the realities of adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells. Embryonic stem cells have yet to be used to treat any form of disease."
Dr. Hollands also disagreed with those who contend there is a great need to continue study of embryonic stem cells. "We should focus our attention on the most readily available and usable type of cells and these are adult and umbilical cord stem cells. Embryonic stem cells at present are largely political rhetoric and scientific hype. Adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are proven and ready to use. The public needs to know this," he said.
See related LifeSiteNews.com coverage:
Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Save Teen's Life: 60 Minutes II
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2001/nov/01112904.html

shazza

l read on a ms website that amanda bryson only walked for a few months and then was back in her wheelchair as bad as she was before the stem cell treatment as this has happened to several people scientists wonder if stem cell treatment could cause a placebo effect in some people!! theres amandas plus a lot of other peoples stories on http://www.ms-uk.org/
sharon

Last edited:

kathy

Pioneer Member
Wow Sharon that is quit a site. I don't have MS, but looks very interesting. I've bookmarked it to go back and do some researching.
Some Stem Cell treatments do require Boosters, but most don't from what I understand. And then I guess it would depend on the person's condition and their body systems. By whom and where they got their treatment done.......thanks, Kathy

kathy

Pioneer Member
Hi Sharon,

Let's pray you don't get it later on in life.

I couldn't find Amanda's Story on there. Only one asking about her, some news person wanted to speak with her. What's it under?

Kathy

shazza

hi kathy
it was on there under her name l wonder why it was removed!
basically she was warning people against having treatment ,she felt very bitter, it had taken a year of intense physiotherapy before she was back on her feet and she only got to live what she could call a normal life before she was back in her wheelchair!! on the 1 hand its understandable that shes bitter but what l wouldnt give to walk and talk even if it was just for a little while!!
sharon

kathy

Pioneer Member
hummmm.....I'll do some google searching and see what I can find. Thanks, Sharon. It would surely be dishartening to fall back on such an accomplishment, but she shouldn't give up. There's other opptions out there.
Kathy

kathy

Pioneer Member
Thanks Sharon, I did finally find it. Sorry I didn't get back here to tell you, sometimes I get distracted....
Kathy