Trudy's gift of hope: strong signs radical multiple sclerosis treatment is working

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
By ALEXANDRA KING
Dec. 21, 2015

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/3590857/trudys-gift-of-hope-strong-signs-radical-multiple-sclerosis-treatment-is-working/

TRUDY Swain could not be happier than to be walking around outside in the sunshine, enjoying herself and experiencing little of the multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms that once plagued her.

Twelve months ago it was a different story, with the cheerful mother of four facing a tough and expensive battle as she, her family and a group of supportive friends began fundraising to send her to Moscow for stem cell therapy in the hope it could cure the debilitating disease slowly taking hold of her life.

MS is a condition where white blood cells attack the central nervous system causing damage to the lining around the nerves.

This causes messages from the brain to muscles to be misinterpreted or not reach the destination at all.

Orange’s community raised over $90,000 for Mrs Swain to travel to Moscow’s National Pirogov Medical Surgical Centre for the month-long treatment from June 1.

Now, six months after her “new birthday”, or the day when her stem cells were implanted back into her body to rebuild her immune system from scratch after it was destroyed by chemotherapy, Mrs Swain could not have better news.

“I’ve got no new lesions,” she said.

“There’s no activity up there [in the brain], nothing’s changed.

“The haematologist said he was surprisingly happy about the results.”

Mr Swain said he had noticed plenty of improvements in his wife’s daily routine, including not needing naps throughout the day, no pins and needles in her right hand, no dragging her leg, her sense of balance has returned and her short-term memory is coming back.

For four months after returning from Russia, Mrs Swain was housebound to avoid illnesses as her immune system began to slowly grow back.

While she still must be careful and sanitises anything before she touches it, Mrs Swain has been able to be in public for the past eight weeks and has enjoyed getting behind the wheel of a car again and catching up with friends and family.

She said without the support of Orange’s community the life-changing treatment would not have been possible.

Sarah

Administration for a Moscow treatment - Transferring US Dollars to Moscow?

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah Blair.

I live in Australia and am on the Moscow waiting list.

I am wondering about the best way to take/transfer US Dollars to Moscow so that I can transfer the fees to the Pirogov without causing them or me any headaches.

And advice would be appreciated.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Sarah - I don't have the answer, but there is a Facebook group for patients who are going to Russia for treatment or thinking of going. It's a closed group so you will need to send a message in order to join it, but I'm sure they will welcome you. If you find out the answer to your question, please let us know. That way anyone doing research as you are will have an answer for this important aspect of treatment if they find themselves reading this post.

The name of the group:
Russia HSCT for MS & Autoimmune Diseases

You can try this link, but that may be for me since I am a member.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404629779644453/

If you need my help referring you to the group, please let me know.

Sarah

Thank you so much Barbara.

Applying to the closed Facebook groups now.

Yes, I will let everyone know what methods are available.

Sarah Blair