Treatment with Stem Cell Regen Med

mbuco

My daughter Mia had stem cell treatment on November 6 in Lima, Peru. Things have been really hectic since we have gotten home so I haven't had a chance to post. She is doing great. Mia is 4 years old and has left sided weakness, mainly in her left arm and hand. We have seen some great improvements in her shoulder extension, flexibility in her wrist extensions, and ability to use her pincer grisp. Since she is aware of all of these changes her confidence is throught the roof. She is now reaching up and turning on & off light switches with her left hand. She is picking up pennies and putting them in cups. The other day I gave her a window marker to draw on our sliding glass door and she wrote her name (better than with her right hand). Everyday she is doing more and more. The latest improvement is the ability to isolate her her pointer and thumb. We have started her on estem under the guidance of Dr. Feinerman and she is starting an intense physical therapy program on Monday 6 hours a day for 3 weeks. We are hoping this will help the stem cells go where they need too. Also under the guidance of Dr. Feinermen we have started Mia on some supplements which are all over the counter. I am not sure if it is in my head but her moods have been consistantly great and she seems much more energetic. I have been very impressed with Dr. Feinerman and Stem Cell Regen Med. You can see Mia on his web site. Dr. Feinerman also offered me a position within the company which of course I gladly accepted considering everything he has done for Mia and my family. I would be happy to give anyone more information about my trip to Lima. This was the hardest decision I had ever made in my life but I am confident that I made the right decision and am extremely happy with the outcome.

alex

What type of stem cells did Dr. Feinerman use and how were they administered?

I am thrilled to hear about your daughter's improvements.

Vaibhav

stem cell treatment in Peru

Hi, it'd be great if you could tell us more about this treatment. Do they put the cells directly in the brain? What were the motor milestones before and after the treatment? Please help.thanks.

mbuco

Mia's treatment - Stem Cell Regen Med

Mia received neuron stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood. She received the stem cells throughe the spine. She also received brain neuropeptide protein, neurotrophin and nerve cell factor. These are highly bioactive and neurologically functional.

As for Mia's milestones. She is 4 1/2 and highly functional. She never crawled but besides that hit all of her infant milestones within the general limits. She walked by 16 months. She started falling behind in her milestones as she got older. The older she gets the more quickly she is falling behind.

Mia also had a slight speech problem. We had seen immediate improvement in her speech as soon as we came home from Peru. Her regular speech therapist has been out on maternity leave so I am anxious to see what she thinks when she is back.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Melissa - It is so nice to hear from you. I look forward to hearing more reports on your little girl. How exciting it must be to watch as she improves.

mbuco

Sorry it was so long

Barbara - things have been so crazy with our family it is so nice to back on the forum. Mia is doing great and her self confidence is the best part of it. Talk to you soon.

Tami03

To my friend

Hey Melissa
Melissa and I took our daughters to Peru together. Melissa has been a life saver for me. Ava is 2 years old and this was her 2nd treatment in 6 months, the first in May in Mexico and the 2nd in Peru. Mia is such a beautiful little girl and both Melissa and her husband are GREAT parents, the decision in going to Peru was hard for both of us and it helped tremendously for us in knowing that someone we knew was going to be on the journey with us.
Melissa and I have become such great friends over the past 18 months that without her by my side through everything I surely would have cracked.
Ava is my 3rd child and had a fetal stroke at 19 weeks gestation, Mia had her stroke around birth I believe. Being a mom to children like Ava and Mia puts a different spin on being a supermom. I have often told Melissa this and I want to share it with the parents of children like ours.
Parents often say that we would take a bullet to save our child or that we would travel around the world to save our baby. We couldn't stop the bullet that hit our child be we ARE traveling arounf the world (wherever we can) to get the best treatment we can find for our children. So I applaud all you parents who just don't stop looking for ways to improve your childrens' lives. Because I know that it takes a great amount of love and strength to do what you do every minute of every day. So to all you supermoms and superdads always know that there is someone out there and that you are never alone even when in the dead of night and the fears threaten to overwhelm you know that we are behind you and support you.
Tami

mbuco

Great friend

Tami- you know I feel the same way. We are so lucky to have found each other so early in our stem cell journey. (Sounds like we are in love) It was so great to meet you and your husband in person and you are so right we will do anything to make our kids the BEST that they can be. I wanted to mention in this stem cell journey I have also lost alot of faith in US doctors who refuse to think outside of the box. Talk to you soon.

Azriel

Why Peru vs Mexico and what was different?

Hi Tami and Melissa

Both your results are great and our son Oscar falls in between Mia and Ava in terms of severity of issues.

Oscar has had a mild prenatal stroke with a weakness on the right side. Like Mia he also has speech issues. He is commando crawling and pushes into all fours and we are hopeful he will crawl fully in the next few weeks.

I am currently pregnant and I am hoping that we will be able to use the cord blood from our third child to help Oscar. While three children was on the cards at some stage this has been a big surprise right now but we will bank the cord blood and hope we can take it with us to use.

I would be really interested to know why you have picked Peru and Tami especially why you opted for Dr Feinerman in Peru after Mexico. Was the type or way the treatment administered different to Mexico?

I'm really pleased the results have been good for both of your little girls.

Kind regards

Merryn

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Feinerman

I need to put my two cents in concerning Dr. Feinerman. He is not associated with SCB or any clinical ventures with Casey Nabavi or any other type of business with Mr. Nabavi. And yes, I say Mr. Nabavi because the title doctor gets people confused and they might think he is a medical doctor which he is not. He earned his PhD at an online university that says its credits are not transferable to other universities I imagine anyone that wanted to earn a doctorate there could do so if they have a credit card. Dr. Feinerman immediately disassociated himself with Mr. Nabavi after finding out that his recommended protocols were not being followed and that patients were not getting the type of care that he had recommended for them. Unfortunately, Dr. Feinerman was not hands on in the operation and from that I think he has learned a huge lesson. He has opened his own clinic up in Tampa, FL and works with Dr. Paino in Peru as well. Dr. Feinerman is now very hands on and that is the way it should be for quality care. That's a good question to ask of any doctor or clinic that one may choose to go to. How accessible is the doctor? Will he or she be doing the treatment? Can he or she be counted on to answer calls post treatment? Anyway, enough said. Some people who did get refunds from SCB after threatening to put up websites and/or go public have been told by Nabavi that they may not discuss anything about him or their settlement as a part of the deal to get their money back.

Tami03

As for me I chose to continue with Dr Feinerman because he was always there for us. Every sngle phone was returned, even after the first treatment Dr F showed his dedication to my daughter by going above and beyond for her. Certain things I can not say about the previous facility but actions should speak louder than words. I continued with Dr F because he was honest with me and fought for Ava. He NEVER gave up on her and he truly loves Ava. Dr F and I have had so many conversations that I have lost count. I have his personal cell, home and office number. How many Drs' give that out. Dr F is a true physican and has a vision for these children everyone else has given up on. Ava is taking steps and starting to babble and has said ma and da for the first time. All of this is because of Dr. F and Dr Paino, the two men who has given me hope hope that our dr's here couldn't offer. Dr F never waviered on Ava's improvement and he kept me strong. He isn't just a great doctor he has become a true friend.

mbuco

Siblings cord blood

Funny you should mention the siblings cord blood. Soon after I started researching stem cells I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child. I however thought I would be able to find someone in the US to use my 3rd daughters cord blood for Mia but I couldn't find anyone. All the clinical trials at Duke were for use of the patients own cord blood. Dr. Feinerman was willing to use my other daughters cord blood for Mia. Dr. Feinerman believed we should save the new babies cord blood for something that could only be treated with cord blood that was a HLA match. So we thought about this for a long time (a year) and decided to use tested donated US cord blood and save the new babies cord blood for a diar emergency which I hope we never need. So currently I have the cord blood being stored at Cord Blood Registry.

Azriel

Sibling cord blood

Thanks Melissa for your answer. I guess part of me feels 'safer' if I use the siblings rather than rely on the bank.

However, I'm yet to get an answer from the New Zealand registry on what we are allowed to do with it. They will release it for use overseas based on a doctors request for it but they are yet to confirm that they would let it be used for a siblings. Interesting given that we have to pay to bank it so we shoudl be able to do with it as we will ie take out if we want to.

I have sent an email of the Dr Feinerman and co and await their reply.

It would be truly dreadful to have the baby needs its own blood and to have used it for Oscar.

Cheers

Merryn

Tami03

Merryn
I have been researching this for my daughter for over 18 months now. I can honestly say that the donated umbilical cord blood stem cells as of right now is the only way we can go. However with the new adminstration who knows. I can tell you that we are about 8 years from getting this treatment being used in the US. I can also say that Dr Feinerman is the most honest and reliable dr I have ever met. You can't go wrong with him. He is although very busy with his medical practice and he is opening or has already opened a muerological clinic in Tampa. If you don't hear from him be patient I am sure he will get with you, also contact Stephanie Copeland and she can help you as well. She works with Dr F and has had treatment with him as well for spinal cord injuries. Were do you live US or ?
Tami

Ava had uc treatment in Mexico in May 08 unsuccessful
Ava had uc treatment in Peru in Nov 08 successful

mbuco

Siblings Stem Cells

Hi Merryn,

I was in the same exact boat as you. Of course, in a perfect world you would want to use Oscar's siblings cord blood. I hear where you are coming from 100%. In the US, I was able to get Mia's sisters cord blood released to Dr. Feinerman. I went through the whole process and then decided against it. I just want to let you know it could be a very costly process if that means anything. I would have paid any price. I know in the US that they have to do several blood tests before they release it to you. They make you test the baby blood as a control that they are sending the right cord blood. They make you test the sibling also, not sure why because they will release it even if it isn't a match. They really gave me a hard time at the beginning because they never released it for this reason. Also in the US you have to pay for the cord blood to be transported on dry ice and pay for the transporters air ticket round trip. The total cost to me would have been around a couple of thousand (US dollars). To be honest with all the other costs an additional 2,000 was not much. We weighed all of our options and decided against it but we still have it for the future for all of our kids. Maybe we will even us it for Mia in the future in the US who knows. Dr. Feinerman is great, he will walk through all of your options with you. He will let you make your OWN decision. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Right now Mia is in the middle of doing a serious therapy program, her right arm is casted and she is using her left arm at all times with 6 hours of therapy a day. She is doing great. She is eating on her own with her left hand. She is getting stronger and stronger and more confident. I am so optimistic for her potential. Dr. Feinerman once told me, the stem cells are like planting seeds in the garden. In order for them to flourish we have to water and nurture them. That is what we are doing. We are giving her all that we can and hopefully the cells are rejuvinating the brain. Keep in touch and know that as long as you research you options your son will benefit from all your hard work. Good Luck!!!!

AQUARIUS

Request for info about Lima

Dear Melissa,

My name is Anastassia and I have a little boy (4 1/2) with CP. I live in Greece. I was very happy to read about the great improvement of your little girl, Mia ! You know what it means for a parent with a CP child to see "miracles" happen! Would it be possible to contact you by phone in order to give me some details about your trip to Lima? I am really interested in Dr. Feinerman's work.

Kind regards,

Anastassia

e-mail: ac2002gr@yahoo.gr
telephone: +30 6946 819769

Vaibhav

Stem Cells

Hi,

I dont know who to ask this but still... A number of CP children treated by Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg are nearly 'cured'. This was when they had their own cord blood. What I fail to understand is why are those who use donated cord blood not show even half that improvement though the quantity given to them can be more than Dr. Joanne used from a single cord blood unit? Does the potency of donated cord blood reduce by the process with which it becomes usable on others? Every CP mom and dad want their children to improve as much as Dallas Hextell, Chloe Levine and Ryan Schneider did! Yet multiple vials of cord blood dont have the same effect. Dr. Rader, Ramirez, Finerman, Cell Medicine - none of them has been able to come up with what Dr. Joanne has done.

Dr. Joanne injects 10 - 50 million cells per kg of body weight. Thus a 10 kg baby would get approx 500 miilion cells (including mononuclear cells). This quantity has been specified to me by Dr. Joanne herself.

Barbara - can we ask this question to the above mentioned Stem Cell Doctors? It beats me! I think we are tantalizingly close to a 'cure' for Cerebral Palsy!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I can ask the doctors and see what the response is. I will ask Dr. Steenblock who works with Dr. Ramirez. Also, I do not have contact with Dr. Rader, but will forward your question to the other doctors you mention and we will see what response we get. Can't hurt to ask, right?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Feinerman weighs in

I HEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW VARIOUS DOCTORS
CLAIM VERY LARGE NUMBERS OF CELLS THAT THEY ADMINISTER.
THE NUMBER OF CELLS IN A SINGLE CORD UNIT THAT WAS SAVED FOR AN INFANT IS ACTUALLY NOT VERY HIGH. I AM HAPPY THAT THE CHILDREN SHE NAMES IMPROVED. HOWEVER, I STILL CONTEND THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET FIRST OF ALL IMMORTALIZED NEURON BRAIN STEM CELLS THAT ARE SPECIFIC AND MIXED WITH BRAIN DERIVED NEUROTRPOPHIC FACTOR; NERVE GROWTH FACTOR; NEUROTRPHINS; TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR; GLIAL FACTOR AND THAT THEY MUST BE ADMINISTERED INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
AT THE PRESENT TIME I ACTUALLY THINK THAT THE BEST TREATMENT FOR CEREBRAL PALSY PATIENTS OF ANY AGE IS THE ADMINISTRATION OF IMMORTALIZED NEURON STEM CELLS; NERVE GROWTH FACTORS MENTIONED ABOVE AND USING INDUCED PLURIPOTENT STEM CELLS FROM THE PATIENT'S PERIPHERAL BLOOD (which is most important highly functional) OR IPC FROM CORD BLOOD FROM INFANCY THAT IS THEN ADMINISTERED INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. READ TIME MAGAZINE FEBRUARY 9th ARTICLE OR LIFE EXTENSION ARTICLE ARTICLE NOVEMBER 2008 ISSUE.
HOW DO INFANT CORD STEM CELLS GIVEN INTRAVENOUSLY PASS THROUGH THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER? I HAVE BEEN TREATING CEREBRAL PALSY CHILDREN FOR FORTY FIVE YEARS. THE AGE OF THE CHILD OR IN SOME CASES TEEN-AGER OR EVEN ADULT WITH CEREBRAL PALSY IS A FACTOR. ALSO SOME HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE THAT ONLY AFFECTS THEIR MOTOR NEURONS WHEREAS AS OTHERS HAVE DAMAGE THAT AFFECTS THEIR INTELLECT, HEARING, VISION, COMPREHENSION. ONE HAS TO COMPARE APPLES WITH APPLES.
THE ONE WONDERFUL FACT WE NOW KNOW IS THE NEUROPLASTICITY OF THE BRAIN; THAT IT IS MALLEABLE AND CAN BE REPAIRED. IN ADDITION TO NEURON STEM CELLS AND NERVE GROWTH FACTORS THE ADMINISTRATION INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM PATIENTS NEED EXTENSIVE PHYSICAL REHABILITATION AND THE USE OF SPECIALIZED REHABILITATION PROGRAMS TO IMPROVE THEIR AUDITORY AND VISUAL MEMORY.
I REALIZE THERE IS LOTS OF HYPE OUT THERE; THAT ESPECIALLY PARENTS ARE INTENSELY EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR CHILDREN WITH SERIOUS DISABILITIES. I KNOW HOW PASSIONATE THEY CAN BE. THERE IS LOTS FOR ALL OF US TO LEARN AND I THINK WE ARE JUST AT THE BEGINNING.