Treatment with Stem Cell Regen Med

hlichten

Super Moderator
I HEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW VARIOUS DOCTORS
CLAIM VERY LARGE NUMBERS OF CELLS THAT THEY ADMINISTER.
THE NUMBER OF CELLS IN A SINGLE CORD UNIT THAT WAS SAVED FOR AN INFANT IS ACTUALLY NOT VERY HIGH. I AM HAPPY THAT THE CHILDREN SHE NAMES IMPROVED. HOWEVER, I STILL CONTEND THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET FIRST OF ALL IMMORTALIZED NEURON BRAIN STEM CELLS THAT ARE SPECIFIC AND MIXED WITH BRAIN DERIVED NEUROTRPOPHIC FACTOR; NERVE GROWTH FACTOR; NEUROTRPHINS; TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR; GLIAL FACTOR AND THAT THEY MUST BE ADMINISTERED INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
AT THE PRESENT TIME I ACTUALLY THINK THAT THE BEST TREATMENT FOR CEREBRAL PALSY PATIENTS OF ANY AGE IS THE ADMINISTRATION OF IMMORTALIZED NEURON STEM CELLS; NERVE GROWTH FACTORS MENTIONED ABOVE AND USING INDUCED PLURIPOTENT STEM CELLS FROM THE PATIENT'S PERIPHERAL BLOOD (which is most important highly functional) OR IPC FROM CORD BLOOD FROM INFANCY THAT IS THEN ADMINISTERED INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. READ TIME MAGAZINE FEBRUARY 9th ARTICLE OR LIFE EXTENSION ARTICLE ARTICLE NOVEMBER 2008 ISSUE.
HOW DO INFANT CORD STEM CELLS GIVEN INTRAVENOUSLY PASS THROUGH THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER? I HAVE BEEN TREATING CEREBRAL PALSY CHILDREN FOR FORTY FIVE YEARS. THE AGE OF THE CHILD OR IN SOME CASES TEEN-AGER OR EVEN ADULT WITH CEREBRAL PALSY IS A FACTOR. ALSO SOME HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE THAT ONLY AFFECTS THEIR MOTOR NEURONS WHEREAS AS OTHERS HAVE DAMAGE THAT AFFECTS THEIR INTELLECT, HEARING, VISION, COMPREHENSION. ONE HAS TO COMPARE APPLES WITH APPLES.
THE ONE WONDERFUL FACT WE NOW KNOW IS THE NEUROPLASTICITY OF THE BRAIN; THAT IT IS MALLEABLE AND CAN BE REPAIRED. IN ADDITION TO NEURON STEM CELLS AND NERVE GROWTH FACTORS THE ADMINISTRATION INTO THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM PATIENTS NEED EXTENSIVE PHYSICAL REHABILITATION AND THE USE OF SPECIALIZED REHABILITATION PROGRAMS TO IMPROVE THEIR AUDITORY AND VISUAL MEMORY.
I REALIZE THERE IS LOTS OF HYPE OUT THERE; THAT ESPECIALLY PARENTS ARE INTENSELY EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR CHILDREN WITH SERIOUS DISABILITIES. I KNOW HOW PASSIONATE THEY CAN BE. THERE IS LOTS FOR ALL OF US TO LEARN AND I THINK WE ARE JUST AT THE BEGINNING.
I fully agree with Dr. Feinerman, having no true knowledge other than what I have read. It seems that some doctors and clinics are quoting this huge numbers of cells simply to impress the patient or patient's families. Half a billion (500 million) cells is PREPOSTEROUS. No way. In one of my recent marrow treatments, I was told that the lab counted 3 million cells which was, supposedly a very good number.

I also appreciate his honesty in stating that "we are just at the beginning".

Absolutely.

Vaibhav

stem cell for CP

I don't understand!!

This was my query to Doctor Joanne.

Respected Madam,
We are finally planning to go ahead with a stem cell transplant in India. Please be kind enough to educate me on the below so that we can take an educated decision:
One umbilical cord contains no more that one million stem cells and most have about 300,000? Is that correct? If you include mononuclears the number is more.
If you could specify the exact number and type of stem cells infused in Dallas, Ryan, Chloe etc - CD34+, CD34+CD133+, mesenchymals etc ?

This was Doctor Joanne's answer:

No, a typical cord blood contains more than a billion cells overall with about 70% being mononuclear cells. The CD34 cells vary in our transplants, generally from 1-4 million total.

Dr. K

A billion (one thousand million) total cells is quite possible, I think, but why would a doctor even quote this number? Most of these cells have no real value in a "stem cell" treatment, and are not stem cells at all, as this doctor is alluding to. After all, you are seeking a stem cell treatment, not a blood transfusion!

Again, why even quote the billion number?

Salesmanship would be the logical answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

hlichten

Super Moderator
Here they mention 36 Billion Cells!!

http://friendsofdrake.org/drakes-posts

What do you NOT understand?
I have tried to explain to you very clearly that the total number of cells (even if that number was accurate) is irrelevant. Our bodies and our blood are full of countless billions of cells, but few blood cells are true stem cells. Even fewer of those are stem cells that we care about for treatment such as CD34+, CD34- and mesenchymal cells (there are others, I am not a doctor or scientist).

Can I make it any clearer for you???
Someone is trying to baffle you with BS, confuse you, SELL you something.

That, or they are just totally uninformed and wrong.

There are NO 36 BILLION STEM CELLS in a cord-blood stem cell treatment or any other stem cell treatment, no how, no way, forget about it.

I suggest that you communicate with another doctor.
Perhaps one will chime in here?

OK, Dr. Feinerman posted in another thread at 1:10am today (through Barbara who posted for him:

"I HEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW VARIOUS DOCTORS
CLAIM VERY LARGE NUMBERS OF CELLS THAT THEY ADMINISTER.
THE NUMBER OF CELLS IN A SINGLE CORD UNIT THAT WAS SAVED FOR AN INFANT IS ACTUALLY NOT VERY HIGH."

OK, there is a stem cell doctor telling you the same thing. Perhaps you should talk to him?

I do wish you the very best in your treatment options.

OwensMommy

Billions upon billions of stem cells?

Hi, Yes, I have seen the webpage where Dr. Gonzales in Mexico states that he uses placental stem cells as the placenta contains more stem cells than the umbilical cord, and he also mentioned that the number of umbilical stem cells collected at the time of birth is not very high. I am not endorsing Dr. Gonzales, but just putting it out there that another doc agreed that cord blood banking does not give you very many cells as compared with other treatments. I myself am more concerned about the quality of the cells, not the quantity, and I think it is a better use of resources to transplant lets say 10 stem cells and give them nutrients, etc that allow them the most potential to flourish rather than give 100 cells of whatever ( maybe not even pure stem cells!) and transplant them and just hope for the best. Just my two cents....