Texans for Stem Cell Research group needs our help

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Last night Harv and I had a conference call with David Bales who heads the Texans for Stem Cell Research group. Senator Ogden, who is a Texas state senator has been trying to thwart embryonic stem cell research in Texas even though President Obama has lifted federal funding restrictions. Below is a list of numbers that I would like everyone to take just a few minutes today and call to urge the other legislators to remove the rider that Senator Ogden wants to place on the appropriations bill.

David is as enthused as I am over the power of the people to get what is needed to help find cures for diseases and conditions that formerly have had no cures. I don't want to let him down, so please get behind him and his group and make these calls now. He is planning to join forces with ASCTA and our efforts and I believe this is the direction that we need to take. We must embrace other groups in order for our goal to be reached. Harv is attending a meeting with David and some of his members on Thursday night. Thanks very much Harv. If you do nothing else today, please make these calls. You do not need to live in Texas to express your views over the phone. I will be telling them when I call that the eyes of the nation are upon them. I usually write down what I want to say so as not to get tongue tied when I make the call. Keep it short, but make it clear what you want.

Here is what David sent:

>> Please take a few minutes out of your time and call these offices in
>> and tell them to take Senator Ogden's
>> rider[17.13] off the appropriations bill and use the reasons we've
>> listed.
>> This is very, very important!Each call represents 300 folks.We only
>> have a few days left and the conference committee members pay
>> attention to these calls.
>> Also,please forward this info to anyone else you know who wants to
>> protect stem cell research in Texas!
>> Thanks to everyone in advance,
>>
>> David

Your calls do make a difference. Many elected officials regard your
one call to represent 200-300 other voters. Stem cell research holds
too much promise in alleviating suffering and curing over 50 diseases
not to act. The Legislature should be wrapping up their session by
June 1st. This is the time to be politically active.

The ten elected officials below make up the Conference Committee for
Senate Bill 1 (the state budget). They have the task of resolving
differences in the two budgets proposed by the Texas Senate and House.
The Senate's version includes Senator Ogden's rider in Article IX
Section 17.13. The rider will ban state funding directly or indirectly
for embryonic stem cell research should it become law.

Please call the conferees below and ask them to pull Sen. Ogden's
rider in Article IX, banning state funds for embryonic stem cell
research. If asked if you are a constituent, remind the staff that
you are a Texas resident and the state budget affects all Texans. (* Note from Barb - I told them I was a concerned citizen. )

Senator Ogden is making it his mission to halt embryonic stem cell
research via his proposed bills and budget rider. Please call today
or tomorrow.

Sen. Steven Ogden Phone: (512) 463-0105
Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa Phone: (512) 463-0120
Sen. Tommy Williams Phone: (512) 463-0104
Sen. Royce West Phone: (512) 463-0123
Sen. Florence Shapiro Phone: (512) 463-0108
Rep. Jim Pitts Phone: (512) 463-0516
Rep. John Zerwas Phone: (512) 463-0708
Rep. John Otto Phone: (512) 463-0570
Rep. Richard Raymond Phone: (512)463-0558
Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon Phone: (512) 463-0708

>>
>>
>> TELL THEM:
>> A ban on state funding for embryonic stem cell research:
>>
>> * will stop current embryonic stem cell research being conducted
>> within our state medical and other state research facilities
>>
>> * will limit the development of adult stem cell therapies
> because
>> embryonic stem cell research is imperative in understanding the cell
>> creation, function and development of adult stem cells
>>
>> * will negatively impact the ability to competitively recruit
> and
>> retain world-class scientists, professors, and students
>>
>> * will send a message to the scientific community that Texas is
>> not a progressive or hospitable place to conduct cutting edge
> medical
>> research
>>
>> We want you to know that your phone calls have and will continue to
>> make a significant impact in allowing us to move closer and closer
>> toward a cure!
>>
>>
>>
>> Thank you for all that you do!

Questions for Senator Ogden on SB 2573

1. What is the legislative intent of this bill?
2. Why did you file this bill so late in the session?
3. Do you think these reporting requirements will have a negative effect on the researchers and scientists in Texas already conducting stem cell research, especially at our universities? Have you discussed the potential effects with the thirty (30) facilities already conducting stem cell research in Texas?
4. In your opinion, should we wait and draft a comprehensive stem cell bill which addresses all aspects of this research instead of trying to push it through the legislature in the final month?
5. Are you concerned of the potential ?brain drain? of the top scientists leaving Texas for states more accommodating to this research?
6. Have you considered the effect this would have on physicians and the clinical trials they conduct in Texas?
7. Have you considered the potential negative economic impact this legislation could have on Texas institutions like M.D. Anderson and Baylor College of Medicine?
8. Why are you asking us to consider this bill with so little time left in this session?

Talking points for other calls to the other senators

? Questions exist about the constitutionality of this rider. Many believe general law states you cannot legislate through the Appropriations Bill with a rider like Ogden?s. An issue as complex as stem cell research should be vetted in open hearings with broad participation from all interested parties and not added to the Appropriations Bill at the last minute. This is NOT leadership!

? It is impossible to determine the unintended consequences of attempting to regulate an issue as complex as stem cell research by a rider provision. If the rider remains on the bill and someone raises a point of order, the entire budget could be in jeopardy and you could be held responsible for a special session at a huge cost to taxpayers.

? Legislation which restricts biomedical research sends the message that Texas is not supportive to the biotech and biomedical industry and could cost Texas the opportunity for many jobs and the corresponding increase in revenue and tax dollars.

? Please demonstrate your leadership and reject any stem cell rider!

Questions for Senator Nelson on SB 73

1. Will you ensure this body that you won?t accept any language which would ban state funding for embryonic stem cell research?
2. Will you eject any amendments that would ban state funding for embryonic stem cell research?

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
State of Texas website

Here is some additional information that Harv provided if you want to keep tabs on what is happening in Texas. Please feel free to post any of your own state's (or country's) legislative activities concerning stem cells.

The Texas Legislature has a really wonderful website at:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

You can pull up every house or senate committee meeting from there, and from this portal, everything about this and past leg sessions are through here.

They have video footage of all recent and current sessions, and they record all meetings and committee meetings to DVD recorders.