yorkere

This occurred in the USA:

Spine surgery using stem cells performed

Denver Rocky Mountain News
Date:
June 4, 2008
Author:
Julie Poppen, Rocky Mountain News

An Aurora spinal surgeon has performed what is being called the first disc surgery in the U.S. using adult stem cells to help repair a man's injured lower back.
Dr. Jeffrey Kleiner performed the operation Tuesday at Medical Center of Aurora.

"It's something we'll start doing more and more of, if it is successful," Kleiner said. "Like all scientific processes, we're hopeful for a home run, but we have to take this one step at a time. We're just looking for relatively small gains."
The surgery could change the way future back operations are handled, said Dr. Christopher Centeno, medical director of Westminster-based Regenerative Sciences, the company that grew the cells.
"I think this is the beginning of a new era of surgery," he said. "We usually take out the offending piece but do nothing to repair the small damage we just created. This allows you to do both."
Adult stem cells have been injected into patients' backs and joints to promote tissue growth, but it's the first time stem cells have been injected during spinal surgery, he said.
The bone marrow cells used in Tuesday's procedure were harvested from the middle-aged male patient, then brought to the laboratory where millions more were grown over three weeks, using the patient's blood, Centeno said.
Tens of millions of the cells were then injected into the man's back during a discectomy, a surgery to remove a herniated or bulging intervertebral disc.
The patient, who had tried numerous therapies to alleviate extreme leg pain, declined to comment because he is in the middle of a lawsuit related to his herniated disc, hospital officials said. Centeno said the man's back was injured when he was hit by a commercial truck.
Kleiner said that a disc loses its ability to be a shock absorber after surgery when it no longer produces a spongy substance that can hold water.
The stem cells should take on the properties of the cells within the disc and ultimately improve the hydration of the disc, he said.

INFOBOX
Read more
* To learn more about the company that grew the stem cells, go to regenexx.com.

Copyright ? 2008, Denver Publishing Co.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS SITE. I couldn't believe what I was reading as so much of this is what I have been trying to preach in my own bumbling way. I also suffered a serious allergic reaction which should never have happened and through my contacts and reading over the past year, I came to realize that something was very wrong with my treatment. I can't tell you how grateful I am that you have posted this. Everyone needs to read it and reread it before considering stem cell therapy. You may not only be wasting your money as far as any hope of regeneration with some companies, it can be downright bad for your health. I still feel that stem cell therapy when done correctly with the right stem cells is truly the only chance I will ever have of actually repairing my lungs. I am not one bit disenchanted with stem cell therapy, only the companies that are trying to cash in on our desperation and giving false hope. Thank you again. One of the best sites I've read in a long time as far as telling it like it is.