Stem Cells Reverse Diabetes in Mice

yorkere

Here is an interesting discovery, with some interesting conclusions...This dates back to 2003, which may make this a bit moot....FWIW

Stem Cells Reverse Diabetes in Mice

By Nancy Touchette

July 11, 2003

Researchers have cured diabetes in mice by injecting bone marrow stem cells into the bloodstream. The stem cells seek out damaged tissue in the pancreas, where they appear to trigger the growth of new cells. If bone marrow stem cells have the same effect in humans with diabetes, they could be used to treat patients straightaway.

?This is a very significant study,? says Joel Habener of Harvard Medical School in Boston, who studies stem cells in the pancreas. ?It suggests that there is something in the bone marrow that can stimulate the pancreatic stem cells to regenerate.?

It can take decades to bring a new drug to the marketplace. But bone marrow transplants have been used for years to treat a host of blood disorders, including leukemia and sickle cell disease. They have been proven safe and would require no government approval for use as a possible diabetes treatment in humans.

?There?s nothing to prevent people from trying this in humans,? says Habener. ?People with diabetes have been waiting for a cure for years and years. Why not go ahead and try??

Diabetes, which affects 150 million people worldwide, occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when cells of the body become resistant to insulin. As a result, glucose accumulates in the bloodstream, leading to severe complications, including heart disease, nerve damage, stroke, blindness, and kidney failure.

In the new study, Mickie Bhatia and his colleagues at Robarts Research Institute in London, Ontario, first treated mice with a drug that destroys the pancreas and makes them diabetic. The diabetic mice had low levels of insulin and high levels of glucose in their blood.

But when the researchers injected the mice with bone marrow stem cells, the symptoms of diabetes reversed within 2 weeks. Insulin levels rose and blood glucose levels fell to near-normal values.

Labeling of the donor cells revealed that the new cell growth had come from cells already within the pancreas, not from the injected cells.

?We almost didn?t believe the results ourselves,? says Bhatia. ?We have had the results for a few years, but held back publishing them. But it?s a consistent robust effect.?

The researchers also found that the injected bone marrow cells triggered new growth only in damaged pancreatic tissue. In mice with intact pancreases, no regeneration occurred.

?Bone marrow cells only go to the pancreas if it?s injured,? says Bhatia. ?Something at the injury site causes the stem cells to home in to the damaged pancreas. We have no idea what that could be.?

Other studies have shown recently that bone marrow stem cells can become different kinds of cells in the body, including heart, liver, pancreas, and nerve. But these findings have been controversial. Some experiments suggest that the stem cells can themselves be turned into different types of cells, while others suggest that the change occurs because the cells fuse to form hybrid cells.

Bhatia?s study is different because it suggests that the bone marrow stem cells do not themselves become pancreas cells. Instead, the cells somehow stimulate new growth in cells that are already in the pancreas.

Just how this occurs is not known, but Habener believes that bone marrow cells are secreting some kind of signal that tells stem cells in the pancreas to grow.

If researchers could isolate the substance that triggers the regeneration of pancreas cells to treat diabetes, it could be given directly to patients, thus avoiding transplants.

?We could just give a shot of this stem cell stimulator, and the pancreas could make new cells,? says Habener. ?It would be a wonderful way to treat the disease.?

Achillian

SC for diabetes

The study mentioned is a bit out of date, but for some reason they still report more success with Diabetes than any other illness.
I heard so many success stories with diabetes in Germany.
Anne.

yorkere

Reversal of Diabetes

Anne:

Thanks for this response! Can you relate any details (or povide references to) of success with stem cell therapy in Germany? I'm actually astonished that ANY real, verifiable news of success with either alleviating or actually reversing Diabetes has not instantly been shot around the world....I'd (along with many others I'm sure) would be intensely interested in any details...I guess the goal is to achieve a true functioning regeneration of the islet cells of the pancreas...

Achillian

Diabetes

I would just reiterate what Harv has told you.
One example I'd mention was a person with very serious diabetic ulcer, which didn't respond to any treatment. They injected the ulcer with her own stem cells and the ulcer showed healing in just 4 days. Not alone did the ulcer heal, the stem cells travelled to her pancreas and cured her diabetes.
This is what my German doctor told me. Needless to say I was hugely impressed. I don't know why such stories don't make the news, but suppose that stem cell therapy is still experimental and they don't want to give false hope.
Just felt I should say I was the one who persuaded my German doctor to treat me, not the other way round!
Good luck.
Anne.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Not just Germany -

As far as I am aware, almost all stem cell clinics are involved in treatment for diabetes, not just Germany. It is always a good idea to research and compare more than one clinic in my opinion. It is also important for people to realize that diet and certain supplements can help some diabetes immensely too. Obesity is another factor that when corrected can help tremendously. My husband simply changed his diet and has had no further problems. I realize this isn't the answer for all patients who suffer from diabetes, but it can be for some. Stem cells are the hope and the answer for many, but sometimes there are alternatives that are even much simpler.

hlichten

Super Moderator
As far as I am aware, almost all stem cell clinics are involved in treatment for diabetes, not just Germany. It is always a good idea to research and compare more than one clinic in my opinion. It is also important for people to realize that diet and certain supplements can help some diabetes immensely too. Obesity is another factor that when corrected can help tremendously. My husband simply changed his diet and has had no further problems. I realize this isn't the answer for all patients who suffer from diabetes, but it can be for some. Stem cells are the hope and the answer for many, but sometimes there are alternatives that are even much simpler.
Absolutely.
I don't even know that stem cells are the way to go for diabetes.
If I had the disease, I would have to do further research to come to any conclusion as to whether a stem cell treatment was even warranted.

yorkere

Zar:

Thanks so much for posting the reference from Medical News Today; it was nicely informative...