Stem Cells in the News

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
NEWS April 13, 2007 - improvements in heart and lung function

Osiris Therapeutics Announces Positive Results in Groundbreaking Stem Cell Trial to Treat Heart Disease

Here's the link
http://investor.osiris.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=235227

NEW ORLEANS, April 13 (UPI) -- U.S. researchers say stem-cell therapy appears to show benefits for heart attack patients.
A study presented at an American College of Cardiology meeting in New Orleans says six-month data shows heart attack patients who received the Provacel therapy had improvements in heart and lung function, compared to those who received a placebo, the Austin (Texas) Business Journal reported.
"This Phase 1 trial was designed primarily to assess safety, yet we were astonished to see such a dramatic clinical benefit across numerous clinical issues," said Dr. Roger Gammon, director of research and the principal investigator for the trial at Austin Heart, one of 10 sites chosen for the study.
Gammon said the hospital will participate in further studies planned for this year.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved

Last edited:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Larry

Considering that the most recent clincial trials with adult stem cells for heart damage has not only repaired heart damage but has also increased lung function by 17 points (Osiris Therapeutics) I believe they should include lung disease ASAP>

An increase of 17 points in lung functions could spell the difference between living a normal life or being disabled.

http://investor.osiris.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=235227

I can tell you that since I had the stem cells, my heart rate has slowed down considerably. I had been told when I went for a Stress Test last year that I was in the early stages of cor pulmonale. I used to have heart palpitations, pounding and raised heart rate of over 95-100 just sitting around.

Today, with my use of COQ-10 (200mg daily) and the stem cells I no longer have chest pounding or palpitations. My heart rate drops into the 70s while sitting and rarely goes higher than 105 even when walking around or climbing stairs.

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
I agree with you Jeannine

Jeannine,
I notice the same effect from the therapies we've been following. My heart rate has also fallen to to the 70's level. I hope that's an inference to the imbedding of the stem cells and the supplements.

Larry

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
And Barbara makes three

This makes three of us noticing the lower heart rate. I can't say that was true for the first month after treatment where Mr. Toad's Wild Ride took over. My heart rate was all over the place. Now, I wake up with a rate of around 65 and unless I am doing that 4.0 + mph thing I like to play around with on the treadmill, I keep it in the 70's and 80's. If I really exert myself, I can see 110 or so, but that is with vigorous exercise. I will start paying attention to what I get when I walk upstairs and do things like that. I think this is one reason why that I can be without O2 and do things and feel just fine only to find out my sats have dropped to the high 70's to mid 80's. The heart rate hasn't jumped up like that (it is usually still in the mid 80's or less) so I am feeling fine without realizing my sats have taken a dive.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Report from Argentina

Implant and Cellular Therapy: a new option of treatment of Patients with Chronic coronary disease with intractable angina or cardiac failure without possibility of surgical revascularization.

R. J. Fernandez Vina1,2,3, J. Saslavsky2, R. F. Fernandez Vi?a1, O. Andrin1, F. Vrsalovick4, N. Muttis1, , P. Andres1, L. Camozzi9, C. D Adamo10, ,;
1San Nicolas Clinic Fernandez Vi?a Foundation, San Nicolas (Buenos Aires), ARGENTINA, 2Universidad National de Rosario, Rosario, ARGENTINA, 3Universidad Maimonides Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires.

Objetives: Adult stem cells derived from bone marrow are being used in the treatment of chronic myocardial ischemia and myocardial infarction. Method 69 patients with refractory angina or cardiac failure that had no possibility of surgical revascula-rization were included. The age of patients (66 men and 3 women) oscillated between 55 and 71 years old. Electrocardiograms showed Extensive MI Sequel in different walls of the left ventricle. Echocardiograms showed extensive Myocardiopathy with Diastoles diameter oscillating form 75 to 63mm and the FEjection oscillating between 25% and 32%. Stress test revealed in 42 patients anterior wall and apical necrosis with severe perinecr?tic ischemia; in 19 patients inferior and lateral necrosis; and 63 multiple ischemic areas, Ventriculography revealed increment of EDVolume and ESystole Volume, with FE oscillating between 22% and 30%. The Cell Implant was made by Retrograde Injection through the Sinus Coronary Vein. The average of cells implanted (CD34+ and CD3:cool: was of 22 x 10p6. Follow up: After a period of one month a progressive increase of sectors contractility was observed in the echocardio-grams. After 120 days it was observed that FE had improved between 38% and 43%. Scintigraphy controls revealed improvement of the perfusion in the 53 patients in the perinecr?tic and diffuse ischemic areas, 48 patients were subjected to Ventriculo-graphy after 90 to 120 days and it was observed that the FE improved up to 38%. Conclusions: The cellular implants have demonstrated improvement of the perfu-sion, surely through angiogenesis that produced the FE increase, objectived by echocardiograms, and Ventriculography. 78% of the patients, showed an impro-vement of the contractility of periphery of scars. It was not observed any progression of coronary occlusive disease after a period of 2 year. 43 patients have achieved 3 year of evolution and they are asymptomatic or in functional class I.

Anastasia

Oops!

I forgot to mention the most important part of my last post. Nelson received 25,000,000. heart cells.

Anastasia

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
Anastasia

It is remarkable that these events continue ro happen. I also nelieve Nelson is fortunate to have a partner backing his recovery. Very good news and in a very short time. Give him pat on the back.

Larry