Stem Cells in the News

barrybrooks

Another promising site

I thought your readers would like to research stem cell development here is the U.S.This stands for Lovelace Respirology Research Institute. They are working on stem cell research as it pertains to COPD. The institute is located in New Mexico not Mexico. Barry.:):)

Last edited by a moderator:

kygal

Re: promising site

Barry,

When I click on the site you posted, this is what the page says when I come to it:

The domain name www.lrri.com is for sale

Prices in the region of US$4525

Could it have been put in incorrectly? I'd really like to see what they're doing in the U.S.

Mary

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Incorrect website

Barry - You have the website listed incorrectly (or correctly if you are the one selling this) so I am editing it out as it appears to pertain to the sale of a domain name. I can't see where this has anything to do with stem cells and it is confusing.

barrybrooks

Apologize for incorrect information

Sorry to all my apologies. The .www.lrri worked this morning. However if you google the whole name Lovelace Respirology Research Institute you will find them.
Their address is 2425 Ridgecrest Drive SE. Albuquerque. New Mexico.
zip is 87108-5127 and the phone number is (505) 348 - 9400.
I am sorry for any inconvienience caused. Sincerely, Barry.:eek::eek:

barrybrooks

Sorry

I am truly sorry for the screw up. That website worked this morning.
To Barbara, Jeannine and Jan and to Mary my sincerest apologies. Barry. :eek::eek:

kygal

Re: sorry & a screw-up

Barry & everyone,

I discovered the mistake Barry made when he posted the website for this institute. He put .com on the end of the address and it's .org. This can be a very common mistake if you're typing in an address from memory so let's don't be so hard on him, k?

I just found the website and I'm checking out the news items right now.

Hugs,

Mary

saljon-ma

Hi all.. I believe the website you are looking for is LRRI.org...I've seen it too and read some of their stuff. I am currently on a lung transplant list since Feb '07. the surgeon said it's a pretty long wait for emphyzema patients. I really don't want to go through with it,but if I have no other choice..... I am also trying to be part of the ease trial going on hear in Mass. I've signed the consent forms and had pft,xray and ct scan so far. they found a new spot on my upper left lung that looks suspicious so I have to see a surgeon to see if it may be cancer. The trial coordinator says I may still be able to be part of the study,we'll see. If I had the resources I, too would do the stem cell therapy, mostly as I said before, I believe with my whole heart that that is the answer. For now, I pray alot and try not to worry too much about things that are out of my control.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
In Lung Research, Embryonic Stem Cells Again Play Catch-Up with Adult Stem Cells

It's an old story but further proof that adult stem cells actually do work.

According to recent Australian media reports, scientists there have made a ?revolutionary breakthrough? by coaxing embryonic stem cells to become cells that ?resemble? lung cells. The reports say this is a major step forward in developing cures for numerous lung diseases, cystic fibrosis in particular.

http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/lungresearch.htm

barrybrooks

Old news

Jeannine; The article you wanted us to read in the above post was printed in September of 2003. It is now July of 2007. Have you got any more up to date sources??

The sources I gave are both current. Lovelace Respiratory Reasearch Institute in Albuquerque New Mexico and in Toronto at the University Health Network. Contact robert thompson@uhn.on.ca

Sincerely Barry.:cool:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Make sure of what you say

Barry - Having just responded to you on another thread, I did want to add my two cents to this. Jeannine said this was an old story. She liked it and thought it was valuable because of its contents. This is where I think you may be striking out when you write the officials you have been trying to reach. We all can read that she said it was an old article. There is no point in you telling that again. If you have news about the clinic in New Mexico, by all means, use that when you write and phone people, if it is encouraging. Have you called that clinic? Have you asked to speak to a doctor there or are you just looking at the website? If you really want to reach people, you must do tons of legwork on your own and through groups like this. Mary asked if she could use any of my responses on this forum to help her publicize her plight. I told her of course she could. She wants to use living examples. The publicity she may be able to get, may catch the eye of someone that can pull strings. Who knows? Like I said, don't try to go off in too many directions at once. Don't waste your energy this way. Maybe, you would do well to concentrate on the clinic in New Mexico and gather all the information from them they are willing to give. There is a lot you can do. We all put a lot of effort into this forum and it takes a lot of our personal time. I didn't find the article Jeannine posted. I didn't find any of these articles that are posted on this forum. I thank everyone here who has found them and put them on here. I am not worried about the date especially when she clearly said it was an older article. I am more interested in content. Learn as much as you can about stem cell therapy. Most of the people you want to contact won't know much about it all. You can become their expert. Good luck.

kygal

Uhn?

Barry,

It might help a little if we knew what we were contacting them for. I've looked at the UHN website several times after you've posted this site and email address and don't see a thing about stem cell research or therapy. Would you care to share what you've found there or is it a big secret?

I can't see emailing someone I don't know telling them that "someone" told me to email them to ask something about stem cell therapy. I don't mind a bit to inquire at places that I know offer something but I'm not going to email or call blind on "someone's" assumption or offer.

Everyone here has been more than honest and open about things and don't try to hide anything, no matter what some might think. But, you're asking others to do something on an "assumption" and most won't do that. If you don't mind sharing what you've discovered in Toronto, more would be willing to investigate.

Mary

barrybrooks

Barry doesn't understand editing

This is how editing is done Barry. There is also delete and blocking. You are headed for the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan

Pioneer Founding member
New Treatment Of Disorders Of The Cornea Employing Adult Stem Cell Growth

New Treatment Of Disorders Of The Cornea Employing Adult Stem Cell Growth

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77427.php

23 Jul 2007

A new method of adult stem cell growth, designed in the Area of Cellular Therapy of the University Clinic (University of Navarra), has demonstrated its efficacy for its capacity to grow cornea stem cells. So Ana Fernandez Hortelano, ophthalmologist at the Hospital demonstrated on applying the growth technique in treating diseases of the cornea, using stem cells, in 70 test animals (rabbits). The aim of the procedure was to regain the damaged epithelium and thus restore transparency to the cornea.

The thesis, defended by doctor Fern?ndez Hortelano at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra, proves the therapeutic efficiency of using corneal stem cells in patients with pathologies of the cornea, such as caustications or ocular herpes, by using stem cells from a healthy contralateral eye. The technique is being currently applied to patients with satisfactory results.

The research has two essential parts. On the one hand, it describes the design of a new method of cell growth and, on the other, explains the clinical application of the procedure.

The research undertaken by the ophthalmologist has shown that, from a small biopsy sample, the new technique enables the growth of a number of stem cells sufficient for the treatment to be effective. The cell sample is taken from the limb of the healthy eye -- the ocular structure responsible for the transparency of the cornea.

The importance of this growth method lies in the fact that it enables the characterisation of the cells obtained, i.e. determining the quantity and viability of the units to be used.

The method developed combines culture on a plastic chip with that of pne on an amniotic membrane. The novelty of the technique focuses on the first stage -- where the plastic chip is used. The fragment of tissue obtained from the healthy eye divides into smaller fractions which are grown on the chip. Thus a greater number of halos of stem cells are obtained (as many as the fragments of tissue). A sample of the cells obtained are then sent the Anatomic Pathology laboratory where the viability and quality of the cell units are verified.

The cells are transferred to the amniotic membrane growth culture, one that is highly suitable when dealing with stem cells that are to be transplanted for ocular regeneration treatment.

Once in the amniotic membrane, the stem cells expand in a homogeneous manner, enabling a better cell identification in order to select the most suitable units for the treatment. This method reveals the cell population that we are implanting in the eye and verifies the quality and quantity of the cells transplanted.

The second part of the research involves the clinical application of the adult stem cells transplanted in rabbits, which previously have had an epithelial corneal lesion induced, causing loss of corneal transparency. This is a pathology that does not respond to a corneal transplant nor to other conventional treatment.

The procedure used by Dr Fern?ndez Hortelano involved obtaining this type of cell -- corneal stem cells -- by means of a biopsy of cells from the healthy eye of the rabbit. This is a small sample of cells -- 3 by 4 mm -- and so the contrateral eye is not in danger. It is then necessary to grow the samples in order to obtain greater numbers of cells, an expansion achieved by transferring the culture to the amniotic membrane.

The adult stem cells obtained are implanted in the damaged eye and the limb is regenerated, leading to the recovery of the corneal epithelium and the transparency of the cornea. The results to date achieved amongst the group of rabbits, with induced limbic insufficiency and which then had a transplant of adult stem cells, showed recovery of the corneal epithelium in 60% of the treated animals. The corneal epithelium is the layer that is damaged with limbic insufficiency, a problem which, in the long term, results in opacity of the cornea.

---------------------------- Jan

barrybrooks

Stem cell news~

I see I am allowed to post again. So here goes.
I subscribe to google and it sends out news about whatever subject you want to know about. It searches its data base for the key words you want.
I put in COPD and stem cell research and about every couple of days get notices of articles relating to these specific topics.
Yesterday there was a reference to stem cell news in an article from the medical news from May 27th titled "First Reported Data from Argentina of Improvement in COPD Emphysema Kind, Using Stem Cell Therapy"
I printed out a copy of the whole article and it looks promising. Barry.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Nassin is one of the three

Barry - This article came out quite some time ago about Argentina. Nassin is one of the three people mentioned. He had treatment last December and continues to do well. He is having a booster this week in El Salvador. He got adult stem cell treatment at the age of 77. He feels a booster may just put him over the top as far as feeling even better than he already does. He was able to get off O2 about 22 days after treatment, but still suffers from some SOB so that is why he decided on a booster. He jets all over the place and is rarely home. Quite an accomplishment for a man who was practically given up for dead. There are several posts on the forum about Nassin and he has a big role in the book Jeannine and I wrote. If it were not for Nassin, you would not have gotten a message that you were allowed back on the forum because there would have been no forum. It is because of him that our Pioneers group was formed and we got treatment.

barrybrooks

Umbilical stem cells

There is an outfit attached to a hospital near where I live that harvest umbilical stem cells from newborn babies. The parents pay for the collection and storage of these cells that may be needed later in life for the child to cure some illness or disease they may catch. Whether they will supply cells to others I do not know as yet. They are at http://www.cellsforlife.com good hunting. Barry.:cool: