Stem cells from umbilical cord used for cerebral palsy treatment

danny

SINGAPORE: For the first time in Singapore, stem cells from the umbilical cord have been used to treat cerebral palsy - and with positive results.

Every one in 500 babies suffers from the condition worldwide, and the breakthrough could provide hope for more parents in the region, as currently such treatments are mostly done in the US.

Two-year-old Georgia Conn is a much calmer child these days. Until recently, she suffered from frequent seizures, and cried constantly.

Georgia has cerebral palsy, an incurable condition caused by injury to her brain at the foetal stage.

On September 8, doctors infused her with her own cord blood; in the hope the stem cells would repair her damaged brain tissue.

Her parents, Michael and Louise Conn, had earlier stored Georgia's umbilical cord cells with private blood bank, CordLife. The Australian nationals are now Singapore Residents.

"Within two days, Georgia was noticeably happier. Just instantly more smiley, chatty and more energetic. That was the first real indication that something was going on," said Louise Conn.

"And since then we all feel, and all her therapists feel, that her muscle tone has reduced, which is enabling her to achieve a lot more within her therapy sessions," she added.

The procedure was done after the Health Ministry gave its approval.

The intravenous transfusion, which took place at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, took about 10 minutes, although tests and post-procedure observation added another several hours. The Conns returned home the same day.

"It is quite a safe procedure. It is like a standard blood transfusion, except that you are using the cord blood cells that were stored. So there is no risk of a reaction, apart from perhaps minor hypersensitivity reactions, as in all blood transfusions," said Dr Keith Goh, neurosurgeon, Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

The Conns had initially considered seeking treatment in the US, but the H1N1 flu outbreak proved to be just one of several obstacles.

Louise Conn said: "The complication is getting family of four of us - we have a six-month old baby, who was going to be very very small when we go over. The complication was flying us all over there, getting to North Carolina.

"The blood had to leave Singapore and arrive in North Carolina and be infused into Georgia within 72 hours. So there were huge risks involved, just the smallest airline delay could really mess with the whole situation."

Georgia will have to continue with physiotherapy, and may undergo another transfusion later in life. Her parents hope that in future, she will be able to attend school with other kids her age.

Doctors now hope to begin a clinical trial in Singapore next year, to add to the growing research on the area

steenblock

stem cells and CP treatments

Not to blow my own horn, but I started treating CP patients with stem cells in 2000 and some of the results of this clinical trial were published in my book, "Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapies". Having now treated over 700 cases of CP since then, I find it quite strange that this is still headline news "For the first time in Singapore, stem cells from the umbilical cord have been used to treat cerebral palsy - and with positive results".
Back in 2000 no one had done any clinical stem cell trials and so I was in new territory. I wanted to prove the therapeutic value of stem cells--to do so consistently--without any other treatment(s) to acheive positive results. After studyng the latest stem cell applications, it was apparent that juvenile CP patients should benefit from this novel approach as research candidates, since most were healthy. Also, since these candidates were young, they had higher levels of growth factors--as well as having a type of white matter associated with their brain damage that has been shown to attract stem cells to in laboratory animals. At the time I started the trial, the prices of stem cells were prohibitively expensive, and so we used only one vial of CD34+CD133+ umbilical cord stem cells intravenously rather than the higher levels that are being used today. The fact that about 80% of the children had significant improvement bore out my hypothesis that stem cells had real value for clinical applications. Since then we have experimented with higher doses and different methods of giving the cells. We now know that intra-arterial insertion of the cells into the cerebral circulation is a very good method as compared to the IV, and that the bone marrow treatments may well be even better. Anesthesia, and it's related complications is the most significant problem associated with bone marrow transplants for the child under 60 pounds, requiring an anesthesiologist. David Steenblock, DO

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynthia

At what point do you see older severe CP juvenile patients cureable with stem cells? Age Mid teens or older? How many treatments would you estimate to cure at that age?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I feel the same way when I read many articles claiming that for the first time ever some condition has been treated with stem cells. Either the writer is in the dark or in their great desire to be first, some researchers and clinics want to claim to be first whether they truly are or not.

Kaci's Mom

At what point do you see older severe CP juvenile patients cureable with stem cells? Age Mid teens or older? How many treatments would you estimate to cure at that age?
Funny you should say that. Although my daughter is 7 with moderate CP- she is no way yet "Cured" with having 2 stem cell treatments. I can also say for certainty that the intra arterial insertion method that Dr. Steenblock mentioned has been far more effective than the IV method was (although some good results came from that too). There is no question, she will be going back in this summer for another treatment and the next summer if necessary (until she IS cured!).

With all the stem cell clinics around the world-and all doing something different, it seems to me it would be almost impossible to know how effective each method is- especially when CP doesn't affect everyone the same. But I still think being the guinea pig in this now is better than waiting around for years and years until someone finally cracks the code (especially in the US). I don't know whether it's arrogance or ignorance that the US chooses to ignore what's going on with stem cell science around the world. With all the treatments that have been done already, why aren't more researchers taking the information that's already known and run with it??? Oh that's right, the FDA is in charge.

Last edited:

alex

Did they use the new catheter method?

They did a catheter infusion method with Frank, but I am told that they are now using a new, more effective catheter infusion method.

Kaci's Mom

Did they use the new catheter method?

They did a catheter infusion method with Frank, but I am told that they are now using a new, more effective catheter infusion method.
I don't know if it was "new" or not (it was new to us). All I know is it went into the femoral artery up to the carotid artery. By the way, I know I forgot to mention this, but that was a GREAT article you sent to me about Frank a while back! Did you post it on the Forum?