Stem Cells for Genetic Mutations?

Audreyd

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here...my son has a very rare genetic disorder called Pitt Hopkins...it results in severe physical and intellectual disabilities as well as lack of speech. It has been put on the autism spectrum because of the sensory and communication issues...but is quite a bit different...In fact the kids tend to be very social.
That said, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice/thoughts re: stem cells for single gene disorders...Is this being done? Or given that it is a genetic disorder would the autologous cells also be compromised and therefore ineffective for stem cell treatment? Any advice or knowledge would be much a appreciated! THank you so much! Audrey

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome to the forum Audreyd - Have you spoken to any doctors in the stem cell field about your son's condition?

Audreyd

Not yet Barbara. I have a consultation with Dr. Bradstreet in two weeks. What do you know of him?
Thank you! Audrey

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I don't know much about him except for what I've read online. Was he recommended to you by someone you know? There is both praise and scorn for him online which quite frankly is true about most doctors who dare to practice medicine using stem cell therapy.