Stem Cells and ALS Hope!

MarkNH

1: J Neurol Sci. 2008 Feb 15;265(1-2):78-83. Epub 2007 Jun 19.Click here to read Links
Stem cell treatment in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
Mazzini L, Mareschi K, Ferrero I, Vassallo E, Oliveri G, Nasuelli N, Oggioni GD, Testa L, ***ioli F.

Department of Neurology, "Eastern Piedmont" University of Novara, Novara, Italy.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a progressive fatal neurodegenerative disease that targets motor neurons. Its origin is unknown but a main role of reactive astrogliosis and microglia activation in the pathogenesis has been recently demonstrated. Surrounding neurons with healthy adjoining cells completely stops motor neuron death in some cases. Hence stem cell transplantation might represent a promising therapeutic strategy. In this study MSCs were isolated from bone marrow of 9 patients with definite ALS. Growth kinetics, immunophenotype, telomere length and karyotype were evaluated during in vitro expansion. No significant differences between donors or patients were observed. The patients received intraspinal injections of autologous MSCs at the thoracic level and monitored for 4 years. No significant acute or late side effects were evidenced. No modification of the spinal cord volume or other signs of abnormal cell proliferation were observed. Four patients show a significant slowing down of the linear decline of the forced vital capacity and of the ALS-FRS score. Our results seem to demonstrate that MSCs represent a good chance for stem cell cell-based therapy in ALS and that intraspinal injection of MSCs is safe also in the long term. A new phase 1 study is carried out to verify these data in a larger number of patients.

PMID: 17582439 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17582439?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks, Mark

Mark - this is good news. I only hope the new Phase I studies do not have to go on for another four years. I do believe that ALS is very treatable with stem cells.
For your sake and others suffering from it, I certainly hope so. Thanks for the good post. It does hold out hope.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
ALS stem cell research dollars

This was printed in May 2007. I thought it was interesting that Michigan has some of the toughest laws concerning stem cell research and yet this is where Mr. Taubman has donated his money. I sincerely hope it can be put to good use to help ALS patients. Evidently, California will be helping with the research to get around some of the tough Michigan laws.

Source: The Detroit News

Retail mogul is also donating share of book royalties to U-M study of Lou Gehrig's disease.

Research into the causes and treatment of Lou Gehrig's disease is getting a boost from retail mogul and philanthropist A. Alfred Taubman, who is donating $5 million and his share of the royalties from his new book, "Threshold Resistance," to the University of Michigan.

The gift will support research led by U-M neurologist and scientist Dr. Eva Feldman, who heads the U-M Program for Neurology Research and Discovery. The lab has already received $2 million from Taubman, who lost a good friend -- New York Sen. Jacob Javits -- to ALS 20 years ago.

Taubman is founder of Bloomfield Hills-based Taubman Centers Inc., a national real estate developer and operator of high-end shopping centers, including three in Metro Detroit.

Lou Gehrig's disease, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), causes nerve cells to weaken and die. The disease specifically attacks motor neurons, which transmit signals through the body that allow us to move.

"It's hard to imagine a more devastating disease," Taubman said, noting that Michigan has one of the highest ALS incidence rates in the country. He wants Feldman to build on the momentum of her work.

Feldman's team will work with researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine on several scientific fronts to try to stop or slow the disease. Their work will include research on animals and patients. They will look at:

Genetic tools to keep nerve cells from dying;

New ways of delivering drugs and genes directly into nerve cells;

A potential treatment based on injecting stem cells into the spinal cord.

The latter approach will require the use of human embryonic stem cells and will be tested at the UC San Diego School of Medicine. Dr. Martin Marsala, an associate professor of anesthesiology at UC San Diego, is leading that project. His lab has received additional funding from the California Stem Cell Initiative for his work on spinal cord injury.

For Feldman, the collaboration with UC San Diego and Taubman's donation will allow her to venture into a new and promising area of research with embryonic stem cells.

Marsala has studied the use of stem cells to treat spinal injuries caused by interruptions in blood flow. They have already performed preliminary research on animals and Marsala said he expects human trials with embryonic stem cells could proceed in four to five years.

Many scientists say the stem cells derived from embryos have a greater potential for developing into treatments than adult stem cells.

But Michigan prohibits the destruction of these cells for research purposes and is considered to have among the most restrictive laws in the country regarding stem cell research.

Opponents of embryonic stem cell research consider research using embryonic stem cells unethical and argue that research on adult stem cells is finding cures, too.

Feldman said that she couldn't conduct embryonic stem cell research in her lab because of state law and limitations placed on labs that receive federal grants -- the source of much of the money for her research. Her dilemma is one faced by many scientists in the state and is a reason why some have left for such states as California, where the laws on embryonic stem cell research are less restrictive.

For Taubman, backing Feldman's research comes down to helping people.

"I'm not a doctor or a scientist, but I am an optimist who believes in the extraordinary possibilities of modern medicine. This is important work that must continue."

Last edited: