Stem Cell Therapy

Sorella

Had the venous stem cell therapy in May 2015 in Scottsdale, Az at the Lung Institute. They said I would see an improvement in three to six months. It is seven months and I have had absolutely no improvement. As a matter of fact, during this time I have felt worse than ever. They didn't tell me when I signed up for this that I would have to order from a special pharmacy, glutathione, that I had to use every other day in my nebulizer. This procedure actually jammed my lungs up and I had to struggle to breath. I continued with it for as long as I could and then had to stop. The Lung Institute never told me up front that I would have to take four or five different supplements which were supposed to help the stem cells to work better. I ordered them all, very costly and of course, not covered by insurance. Never saw any difference in them. Still struggled to breathe and no energy. They also wanted me to take an Optional Growth Factor Injection, at the end of three months, where I would be injecting myself. The cost $175. All and all I was very disappointed in the venous stem cell treatment I received there. It was a waste of money and has definitely caused a financial hardship on me for something that did not work. The doctor and everyone there said, some folks will see big improvements, others will see small improvements. I had no improvements. In fact, it made me feel worse. I am now back to my usual regiment of all my prescribed medications and using my nebulizer as ordered by my Pulmonary doctor. Needless to say, I am totally disappointed. I would not recommend the venous stem cell treatment.

Bobcat

Sorella - Maybe you were having an allergic reaction to the glutathione. Not everyone can tolerate it. Sounds like you had a difficult time with it.

Sorella

Glutathione

I don't know what you would mean by an allergic reaction . . . it just plain didn't do anything for me. I felt worse after each session. Along with all the supplements prescribed and the glutathione, I certainly would have expected a little improvement. I still struggle to breath; I'm on oxygen 24/7 and I have no energy. My lung capacity is 16% -- the lungs of a 103 year old man is what I have been told. I am 75 with COPD/Emphysema - - going on 12 to 15 years now.

Kenwest

"Venous Stem Cell Therapy" is a misnomer

Progenitor cells derived from venous blood is called PRP, Platelet Rich Plasma. Platelets are components of blood that are important in clotting. Platelets in concentration also contain some growth factors and other signaling protiens called cytokines. To be very generous there also COULD be a blood stem cell or two in there, called hematopoietic stem cells, but certainly not in sufficient concentration to be of practical theraputic value. Assays taken by a machine that counts live cells, a flow cytometer, usually show the number of cells in PRP to be around 70,000 cells per mL.

PRPs are used extensively in orthopedic fractures and sports injuries and believe it or not something called "vampire facelifts" and in these applications they are effective.

Stem Cell Therapy utilizing bone marrow or fat contain many, many more growth factors and cytokines and most importantly mesemchymal stem cells that are capable of regenerating endothelial cells, like the ones found in lung tissue. Typically bone marrow produces in the order of 100 million cells and adipose tissue can produce many times that amount with typical "counts" in the 300 -600 million range.

There are several scholarly articles showing a "dose response" i.e. more stem cells produce better results. PRP simply does not have the "muscle" to tackle a disease like COPD in most people. It is important to research because not all stem cell therapies are the same.

Sorella

Venous Stem Cell Therapy is a misnomer

Reply to Kenwest. You certainly did your homework about the different therapies. It wasn't until after I came back from Scottsdale that I attended a seminar by Dr. Thomas A. Gionis from Irvine, CA regarding the Adipose procedure. I was told in Scottsdale I did not qualify for the Adipose because I was on blood thinners. Dr Gionis said that was not so, all I had to do was stop taking them for awhile before the procedure and the Adipose would have been a lot more effective. Dr. Gionis said they only do the Adipose (fat)-derived Stem Cells because in comparison to bone marrow cells, adipose stem cells are between 500 - 1,500x more abundant. What procedure did you have and did it help you any? Did you have to go back for booster shots?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I had a peripheral blood treatment that really helped me a few years ago. I also injected HGF for several months post treatment. I had an adipose treatment the year following. I am not a fan of liposuction, so if given a choice, I would opt for a peripheral blood treatment or bone marrow. I have also had several peripheral blood treatments prior to the successful one which did nothing as far as having any lasting effect. I also had an adipose treatment several years ago that I call the treatment from hell. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The adipose treatment I had more recently was done under an IRB study. I feel that it was beneficial, but no more so than the successful peripheral blood treatment I had. The adipose treatment did not include HGF, but I did inhale glutathione under the study guidelines.

I continue to agree with Dr. Grossman as to why some patients with COPD get better results than others. Here is his response from when he hosted Ask the Doctor:

Q: Why do some patients seem to respond so much better than others? I have heard of COPD patients who have had multiple treatments and feel no real change (either way which could be argued is good), but then I read about other patients who seem to have gotten a lot of improvements and have become active once again. Is it age or do some people have more stem cells than others or is it how the treatment is done and the stem cells are processed?
A: COPD represents a broad spectrum of disease states and includes patients who have more of an emphysema-like condition while for others chronic bronchitis is more dominant. Patients with more of the emphysema component have already experienced loss of the alveolar walls, which is where oxygen exchange in the lungs occurs. Regenerative therapies, at least at this early stage in their development, do not seem able to re-grow damaged alveoli. As a result, patients with predominantly an emphysema component to their disease would be less likely to experience benefit. Other patients have more of a chronic bronchitis aspect with airway inflammation and mucus production being hallmarks of their condition. Regenerative therapies utilizing adipose tissue possess anti-inflammatory properties, which theoretically could be of value treating these types of conditions. We would therefore expect this group to respond better. COPD patients typically fall somewhere between these extremes and have components of each. Depending on where you are on the spectrum can help determine how much improvement regenerative therapy might have on your condition.

Sorella

Venous Stem Cell Therapy

Reply to Barbara - Thank you for your response. Very enlightening and well stated. Didn't discover your site until after my Venous treatment in Scottsdale. Excellent information from Dr. Grossman regarding why individuals with Copd/Emphysema do not respond well, if at all, to the Venous treatment. Had I known about this before, I would not have gone to Scottsdale for this treatment. Sure wish the doctors there would have had the knowledge and known about this as Dr. Grossman explained it. Perhaps they did and chose not to turn away a new patient. Appreciate the information.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Not all doctors agree with Dr. Grossman's assessment, but I think it is the most logical explanation I've heard. There is no hard scientific evidence at this point that I'm aware of however. Dr. Grossman was not just stating that concerning venous treatments, his statement was for other types of stem cell treatment as well for lung patients.

ericmazingo2

Everyone wants to look younger and so do I, and when I came to know how Stem Cell Treatment helps in rejuvenating and repairing damaged organs and tissues, which include our skin, I was simply blown off. Of late scientists have discovered the fact that non-embryonic cells, which are extracted from humans can aid in fighting age spots, wrinkles, and even fine lines.

peg

Stem cell therapy

Had the venous stem cell therapy in May 2015 in Scottsdale, Az at the Lung Institute. They said I would see an improvement in three to six months. It is seven months and I have had absolutely no improvement. As a matter of fact, during this time I have felt worse than ever. They didn't tell me when I signed up for this that I would have to order from a special pharmacy, glutathione, that I had to use every other day in my nebulizer. This procedure actually jammed my lungs up and I had to struggle to breath. I continued with it for as long as I could and then had to stop. The Lung Institute never told me up front that I would have to take four or five different supplements which were supposed to help the stem cells to work better. I ordered them all, very costly and of course, not covered by insurance. Never saw any difference in them. Still struggled to breathe and no energy. They also wanted me to take an Optional Growth Factor Injection, at the end of three months, where I would be injecting myself. The cost $175. All and all I was very disappointed in the venous stem cell treatment I received there. It was a waste of money and has definitely caused a financial hardship on me for something that did not work. The doctor and everyone there said, some folks will see big improvements, others will see small improvements. I had no improvements. In fact, it made me feel worse. I am now back to my usual regiment of all my prescribed medications and using my nebulizer as ordered by my Pulmonary doctor. Needless to say, I am totally disappointed. I would not recommend the venous stem cell treatment.
SORWELLA,
My name is Peg. Can you tell me exactly what clogged your lungs? Was it the stem cells? I've had stem cells for the past 4 years. I suffer with chronic neuropathic pelvic pain due to a vaginal cuff abscess after a hysterectomy in 1996. I developed symptoms of burning chest pain and shortness of breath 2years ago. Over the following year, my symptoms decreased with the burning chest pain and shortness of breath. This month I received a stem cell paste injection & intravenous stem cells. Yesterday, I developed once again severe burning of my chest & shortness of breath. I came close to going to the Emergency room. So I took 20mg of prednisone tablet. I contacted my stem cell physician. He told me that pneumonitis (inflammation of the lungs) can occur in the first 24 hours. That it's not typically seen after 48 hours. My stem cell physician was more concerned about a pulmonary embolism. My present symptoms are the same as a year ago. I believe that the stem cells are causing inflammation of my lungs. So I will be calling my pulmonary doctor in the morning. I'm sorry that the stem cells didn't help with your lungs. I may seek out stem cell paste injection again if needed for my chronic neuropathic pelvic pain. Thankfully the stem cells in the injection will not migrate from the injection site. Take care.

professor21

severe asthma and sleep apnea

I definitely wouldn't take antibiotics for asthma or COPD since I think that's what destroyed my lungs. I couldn't exhale 3 months after taking azithromycin for 6 weeks

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Antibiotics are pretty much standard it seems like for COPD patients. And rarely does a doctor or nurse advise those taking them to also take a probiotic. I was reading an article the other day that said anyone who has taken antibiotics should take a probiotic for at least a year after. Gut health is gaining a lot of attention especially in its role in chronic disease.

peg

Stem cell therapy

SORWELLA,
I'm sorry that you didn't see any relief with your stem cell therapy. I also developed pneumonitis or inflammation of my lungs after receiving stem cell therapy. But thankfully it was short lived. I do know that with stem cell therapy, it can be months before seeing positive results. With all of my treatments, I had pain relief immediately after the administration of the stem cells. It just didn't last long enough. Except for my recent stem cell paste injection for my pudendal neuropathy. This stem cell paste injection will last for 2years. The stem cells will stay at the injection site of my pudendal nerve. They will not migrate to other areas of the body. The stem cells will be healing and combating inflammation and pain. Also at the end of the 2years, My pudendal nerve potentially can be healed completely! My physician, Dr. Todd Malan of Scottsdale AZ, is the first physician to treat pudendal neuralgia with the stem cell paste injection. I would not give up hope on stem cells treatment for your condition. For stem cell therapy is advancing rapidly with each single day. Take care.....