Stem Cell Diet Ideas

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am starting this thread because I have found some great products lately that go with the stem cell diet protocols of many companies. The diet I am on is one that says to avoid red meat, alcohol and dairy products for at least 6 months after receiving stem cell therapy. There are some foods listed that are extra beneficial such as avocados, peaches, strawberries, and more. Also, my doctor is one who advocates probiotics. I was shopping this weekend and noticed that Kashi has a new cereal called Vive and it is a probiotic cereal. Yogurt is like this, but yogurt is also a dairy product which was a no no for me. I bought the cereal and will give it a shot. I also found some Voortman Flax Omega 3 cookies with cinnamon that are very tasty.

I just got back from the store and tried to find Nucoa brand margarine that Rose said was non dairy. My store did not have it, but I recall it from several years ago. I am using Smart Balance light which is also non dairy. My picky husband likes it so if it passes that test, it's a done deal at my house.

To explain probiotics I will tell you that on the Kashi box it explains it better than I can, so here goes: Your digestive system is supported by your liver, which helps keep your blood clean and free from unwanted substances. (Dr. Feinerman is always pushing broccoli and here's why) Broccoli contains potent phytonutrients that have been shown to stimulate the liver's cleansing activity. Kashi has added concentrated broccoli extract - the same amount as eating about a half cup of steamed broccoli. One serving of this cereal also provides 20% of the daily intake of calcium and vitamin D for a person that is not on the stem cell diet. Our intake need is higher, but you can count this in the day's tally. Probiotics are friendly bacteria typically found in yogurt and some cheeses. The name literally means "for life" which is not surprising considering their role in digestive balance and immunity. The Kashi cereal has Lactobacillus casei bacteria in it. They give a website to learn more www.probiotics.org Why is all of this important? I believe Dr. Peimer made a point of mentioning in the Ask The Doctor forum that it is important to keep ourselves healthy all around, not just try to fix the damaged parts. Eating right and using certain supplements is a lifelong way to help with this. I am really pleased that more stores are offering organic products that are affordable and that manufacturers are now trying to make products more healthy instead of loading them up with preservatives and addictive additives. The tide is turning at the grocery store. When Jeannine and I received our post stem cell diet regimen some of the Pioneers started coming up with ideas such as chocolate broccoli sundae (made with soy ice cream, of course). We all got a good laugh out of it. Now, we really are going to be eating broccoli for breakfast with this product which is as strange as having it for dessert. I did have a serving and it's actually pretty good and I don't like cereal very much. I added some strawberries to it.

Last edited:

rosech44

Kashi Cereal

Sounds Like It Might Be Good--i Haven't Eaten A Bowl Of Cereal Since We Quit Drinking Milk Years Ago----guess I Could Put Berries In It And Just Eat It Dry--

Rose

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I'm not sure that this cereal would be too good dry. I take it you don't like soy milk. I use the refrigerated type and it really is pretty good. You might like the vanilla flavor if you don't like the plain.

anney_uk

Question for Jeannine

I am curious to know if you follow the same diet as Barbara - i.e. the tofu, no red meat or dairy etc... It does sound somewhat daunting to me but will do it if needs must. Also, have you had similar improvements to Barb?
Thanks
Anney

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Anney_UK

I don't follow the same diet as Barbara. I eat chicken, fish, turkey, eggs and pizzas and an occasional burger or steak too. I do avoid most dairy products except for coffee creamer and that occasional ice cream sundae and yogurt.

I find that bacon, ham and hot dogs cause me some shortness of breath so I avoid them as much as possible and too much milk creates mucus although I have to say that I haven't needed to use Mucinex for several months. Perhaps a connection?

It has now been over 6 months so I eat whatever I want but still try to include at least 3-5 items from the recommended food list in my daily diet. Like Cinnamon cereals for breakfast or cinnamon sprinkled on my oatmeal, spinach or broccolli with my dinner, and two cups of green tea daily.

Anney - I have had similar improvements. You should read my postings in the Updates section as I post there on a frequent basis.

anney_uk

Thanks Jeannine

I am much happier to read your diet ideas, I can live with that menu far easier than I could a vegan one - apologies to Barb LOL. Re. your improvements, yes, I do read your progress and that of everyone who has had the stem cells but needed a quick confirmation - you must be so pleased.

I can't wait to get the treatment, maybe in January,

Anney

Bev12452

new best friend

Jeannine did you eat pizza before your six month anniversary I am trying so hard to stick to the rules and have avoided the red meat dairy but would love to have pizza as a present to me for me please tell me you did it I know Barbara is strictly a vegan but can't get use to the soy milk tried rice milk and almond milk tried the non dairy butter and it looked like a blob of Crisco sitting on the waffle wouldn't eat it of course I am on the wild ride you spoke of so I am more *****y than normal second question I remember reading you were sick when you go home if you went to the hospital how did you get away without having an xray done hope you are feeling well

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Bev

I did eat pizza on several occasions (maybe 3 times) and I did get xrayed at the hospital. I was pretty sick and didn't much care what they did to me. Keep in mind that the cause for my 911 call was not related to the stem cells.
Barb and I caught a bug somewhere in our travels together (Barb's son got deathly ill too). I had some extraordinary stress at the time as well so the combination caused my reasons for being hospitalized. I am not typically a sickly person. Prior to that incident I hadn't been hospitalized other than for childbirth. I had one cold in 1997 and then one in 2005 before this.

I must report to you that last week, I thought I was going backwards and was quite upset about it but when I woke up on Saturday morning I had turned another corner. My O2 stayed at 95+ all day (10 hours) without O2. I even fixed a big breakfast yesterday for a bunch of teenage boys and didn't get SOB once.

This is a VERY VERY long road; however to see improvements on a regular basis sure beats the alternative.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Diet whiners

I can't believe all the whiney dieters. Smart Balance does not sit like a blob on a waffle unless the waffle is cold. The problem with saying this is okay just once in awhile is that pretty soon it starts to happen more and more often. The diet is not a vegan diet. It allows fish, chicken, turkey, eggs. Cheese is not a health food anyway. If you insist on having things that are on the avoid list, do them in moderation and very rarely. Jeannine said she ate pizza about 3 times. She didn't mean 3 times a week or a month, but 3 times in the 6 month period. Why pay good money and then excuse yourself all the time? It reminds me of people trying to quit smoking. They think, "I'll just have one", and then it is two and pretty soon the whole pack is gone along with a big gooey cheese pizza loaded with pepperoni. Soy milk is fast catching on all across America. It is just healthier, PERIOD. No two ways about it. I think cow's milk is wonderful if you are a calf. Soy milk can be used in recipes with no problems whatsoever. Bev -I don't know what kind of cereal you are eating, but it must not have any flavor if all you can taste is the soy milk. Switch to oatmeal and get your cinnamon ration out of the way by mixing it in and then try the soy milk with it. All I can taste is the cinnamon when I eat it. 1/2 tsp cinnamon can be used for your daily ration. Sorry, to be the mean old lady here, but this is downright silly. The diet has endless possibilities unless you are a fast food junkie. Then you probably are pretty much SOL. The more healthy foods you eat, the more your body will crave them. You are probably just suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Our processed foods are loaded with so many chemicals that this is not just something I made up.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
Pat Chronister

A neighbor brought me soy milk to try. My taste buds were insulted. Someone mentioned try vanilla - I got Silk Vanilla Soy - it is really good and I can imagine putting it on any cereal and enjoying.
I do have a concern. It's my weight - I can't afford to lose any more weight and usually have 1/2 cup ice cream at night to get some extra calories. I have to watch my potassium intake and of course the best tasting foods (potato, avacado - all the really good stuff) are ones I have to limit.
Anyone have ideas for what to eat on this diet that will get me to at least 1500 calories a day - preferably more. I WILL DO IT - I just need some ideas. My date is Dec. 6. I'm excited, anxious, etc. - probably no different from all other pre-therapy feelings.
Pat C.

rosech44

whiney dieters

Barbara---- (WHO YOU TALKING TO WILLIS????!!!!!!)

We do get a bit whiney don't we???? please remember that you being a vegitarian, probably makes it a bit easier---
I had a meeting with the dietician from pulmo rehab today--She was very impressed with the diet, but concerned I would go Bonkers once I passed the 6 month time----SHE'S PROBABLY RIGHT But, I will try to be good for as long as I can the Non dairy worries her, for calcium, but I assured her we take plenty of calcium-- I don't eat cereal, haven't since hubby quit drinking 3.8% milk--we buy 2% to cook with--I get my cereal from granola bars. Right now, I miss my morning yogurt, but, can and will live without it---

I will eat as much of the prescribed foods, as I can, but, see no need to drink soy milk, since I don't drink the real thing, nor do I want to try tofu. I willingly, and Lovingly give to barbara my share of all the TOFU, in the world____LOL

HAPPY EATING MY FRIENDS----ROSE:D

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
More about that four letter word

Thank you Rose. I will let you all know that the Pioneers had a recipe contest and Larry (lraynak) won with a tofu stir fry. I am not alone. I don't think he is as tofu oriented as I am, but it shows that even real men eat tofu. There really isn't that much flavor to tofu to get somebody's taste buds turned to AGHHHHHHH. It is the sauces and the way it is prepared that makes it good. The food is good for you and that's why it is on the diet. I don't think anyone needs to drink soymilk that doesn't want to. I merely suggested it as a substitute on cereal and in cooking. I learned about it years ago when my mom became lactose intolerant. She switched to soy milk and it lasted a lot longer than regular milk which was good as she uses it slowly. I then tried it on my milkaholic husband who had major cholesterol problems. He liked it and found that he lost a lot of weight when he switched to it. I don't like cold cereal, so I don't have it that often, but I use it for cooking and the occasional oatmeal that I do like.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Pat

I too drink the Vanilla Soy Milk sometimes. I also buy the chocolate one and even my picky son will drink this stuff and he hates just about everything other than cheeseburgers and pizza.

Trying to gain weight? I recommend using Advair as one of your meds - it has certainly "chubbed" me right up. LOL

rosech44

Duck???????

My Brother Is Going To Fix A Dish For Thanksgiving, It Is A Chicken Inside A Duck, Inside A Turkey---

I've Been Told It Is Delisouse, But--can We Eat Duck??? It Is Poultry--

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Take the day off from dieting

Duck meat is far different than chicken or turkey. It's not your standard poultry fare. I can't think one meal of it however, is going to kill you. I think it sounds yucky personally, but that's just my opinion. If you don't know the difference between duck and turkey and chicken as far as the make up of the meat, you can google it and find out. I can't see the purpose of worrying about the diet constantly anyway. Just have a nice relaxing day. Pretend you got treatment at a company that doesn't require any post stem cell diets and pork out. (I guess I mean that the way it sounds too). I have lots of spare ducks if you really want to start adding duck to your diet. Duck meat is real greasy and is guaranteed to make your cholesterol shoot way up. I am planning to overdo it on desserts which are always considered a health food, but I will probably not be dining on duck anytime soon. Does this concoction that he is making mean there is no real traditional stuffing? At least it sounds like someone else is willing to help with the cooking. That's a real plus right there. Like I said, I would give the diet up for the day and enjoy yourself. A stress free day would have to be worth more than worrying about whether you can eat something or not.

Rose - I did google and there are pros and cons for eating duck.Most of the pros come from people who raise ducks. One even gave a recipe for the greasiest Peking duck in the world (not greatest, but greasiest). The Chinese eat a lot of duck, have a lot of duck related problems, but for the most part the Chinese people seem pretty healthy. You have to consider what else they eat also. I can't see why you shouldn't eat any and everything on Thanksgiving and eat it guilt free. It is a holiday known for seeing how stuffed we can get and most of us will stick with that holiday tradition. To me the stem cell diet means trying to add the things on it to your daily diet. I would try to add at least 6-7 of the items to each day's meals and avoid the "avoid" category as much as possible if you intend to follow it, but take it easy periodically and just don't worry about it. The same is true for fish. You probably won't have any problems just eating fish, but there are very few kinds of fish that have the fish oil that can benefit us the most. That's why your diet says Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon. There is a difference, just like there is a difference between turkey, chicken, duck, goose, whatever. To me, that's what is important about the diet.

Last edited:

John

Pioneer Founding member
Duck is not red meat so you are well within the guidelines of the diet. The duck inside the turkey etc etc. is excellent. The mixture of flavors is quite interesting. Of course you could always fashion a jello mold full of veggies and tofu.....never mind it's Thanksgiving, thank God....LOL John

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Missing the point

John - You are missing the point I am trying to make. There is nothing wrong with eating duck in this recipe. What I am trying to say is that duck is not the same as turkey and chicken. It is therefore not on the stem cell diet as an item that helps with engraftment according to the diet Rose is on. This would be the same for other fish. Wild Alaska Salmon is on the list so it means that it is more beneficial than some other fish. The diet lacks a lot of interpretation in my opinion, so I say forget about it for the day, enjoy yourself and don't worry. Eat all the duck you want Rose. To just use the diet to avoid foods and not concentrate on the foods that are on the list, is not beneficial in my opinion. I think what Dr. Feinerman had in mind was a day's worth of eating off the stem cell diet list as much as you can. I am past worrying about it, but for others, please comment. I would think using tofu inside this concoction would actually make a person toss their cookies, but if you want to try it, let us know what you think. If you want to analyze diets, you then need to go beyond what is on the stem cell diet and consider the source of all the food you eat. By the time you spend all day doing that, you have probably lost your appetite anyway.

John

Pioneer Founding member
As much as I tease you about the nasty stuff you like to eat, I wasn't entirely kidding about making a non meat turkey. My lady made one last year that was made all of fruit. The base of the whole thing was a pinapple and the top of the pinapple with thos green leaf looking things was the tail. It was pretty impressive. Of course no one wanted to eat it because of all the work that went into it.
John

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Probably not what anyone had in mind

John - My sentiments exactly as to why I wouldn't eat a real turkey. Think of all the work that has gone into creating it! Anyway, I do hope in the end you ate the fruit turkey. I have done that with desserts. In the end, I broke down and took a picture of the masterpiece and then pigged out. I do hope that anyone on the stem cell diet will not do more than take a day off from it because it was designed by a very knowledgeable doctor to help us with engraftment of the cells. If you are filling up on items that are not on the diet, then you have less room for those that are. I would double dip on the turkey and chicken portion and leave the duck for those that aren't on the diet if I was to eat any of the strange turkey that was described in the previous post. It seems to me a turkey is a good place to hide other unwanted leftovers that could be pawned off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. Now is the time to clean out the freezer! Don't worry if you can't tell what something is, just stick it in the turkey.