Stem Cell Clinical Trial for MS at UK Hospital

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
For more information about this clinical trial contact Frenchay Hospital in Bristol. The trial is being conducted by Professor Neil Scolding

Multiple Sclerosis sufferer Nick Andrews of Bromham is hoping he will be accepted on to an NHS clinical trial for stem cell treatment.

Mr Andrews, 50, has had MS for ten years and his condition has got worse, severely affecting his mobility.

Eighteen months ago he walked his eldest daughter, Stacey, now 23, part of the way down the aisle at her wedding using two sticks but now he can only walk around the house with the aid of a three-wheeled trolley.

Mr Andrews, who is married to Kaye and has two younger grown-up daughters, said: ?My legs have got worse and my balance is bad.

?I used to be able to walk to the car on our driveway but, as soon as I get out of the door, I have to use my wheelchair.

?I?m so wobbly on my feet. If I am accepted on the clinical trials and it leads to an improvement in my legs that would be something.?

Mr Andrews hopes to hear later this month if he is suitable for the clinical trials to be carried out at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol by Professor Neil Scolding using stem cells from the patient?s own bone marrow.

Mr Andrews had been planning to go to Holland to undergo stem cell treatment but this has proven to be unreliable.

Of the ?15,000 raised for Mr Andrews by friends and villagers he has spent about ?2,000 which has bought a rise and recliner chair, a new path and hard standing in his rear garden, servicing for his stairlift and a new battery for his electric scooter.

He would like to give some of the money raised for him towards stem cell research and use the rest towards things he may need to help him in the future.

Mr Andrews, who became a grandfather for the first time last year, is also planning to take part in a tandem parachute jump to raise money for a cancer charity.

He said: ?I thought I needed a challenge this year so I want to do a skydive.

?I don?t think I will have the chance again the way my symptoms are going.?

He also has a white knuckle ride in a Ferrari to look forward to at Castle Combe racing circuit, which is his 50th birthday present from his wife.

Before being diagnosed with MS Mr Andrews was a lorry driver for Mark Wilkinson Furniture in Bromham and worked long hours.

His nickname was Quick Nick because he had boundless energy and loved running.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/5040812.MS_stem_cell_hopes_for_Bromham_man/