stem cell capsules ???

danny

NovaThera signs Licensing Agreement for 3D Stem Differentiation and Production
Cambridge, UK, March 13, 2008.

NovaThera, a regenerative medicine company is pleased to announce the signing of an exclusive licensing agreement for a technology for the encapsulation of pluripotent or spheroid-forming cells to enable production of derivatives from these cells in bioreactors. NovaThera is developing platform technologies for the automated production of stem cells for research and clinical applications.

Production of stem cells (and their derivatives) on a large scale is an essential requirement for the development of regenerative medicine therapies. NovaThera has already developed intellectual property (IP) around its NovaPod bioreactor product - a compact, manual feed, disposable, batch culture bioreactor that allows researchers and scientists, working on stem cells to culture cells in three dimensions. NovaThera?s portfolio of encapsulation technologies can be used with NovaPod? for the mass production of pluripotent stem cells and their progeny without the need for continuous operator intervention, thereby increasing efficiency, reducing operating costs and labour hours. The licensed IP, which was developed in Peter Zandstra?s laboratory at the University of Toronto, is complementary to NovaThera?s existing portfolio for stem cell maintenance and expansion by providing stem cell scientists with the methodology to precisely control stem cell aggregation and differentiation in NovaPod? bioreactors through the localised delivery of mitogens, molecules or matrices.

This IP will also be offered to commercial partners to enable the development of stem cell bio-processing for assay development, toxicology and clinical development. This new IP will now be incorporated into a growing, working bank of NovaSOPs? (standard operating procedures) that have been developed within the world?s premier stem cell research groups and can be used with NovaPod? bioreactors.

?NovaThera plans to be a world leader in cell production technologies and applications and the invention developed in the Zandstra laboratory is very important in developing this vision? said Dr Gareth Roberts (CSO NovaThera). ?The addition of this IP to our growing stem cell bio-processing portfolio will support the on-going development of the NovaPod? platform, helping us make it the hardware of choice for the stem cell community? said Dr Wesley Randle (Stem Cell Bio-processing - Programme Director).

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Danny - I realize this is only a press release, but from what I have read about this company, they do indeed seem to be making headway in their plans to become a world leader in this type of technology. When I first saw your thread title, I thought someone had come up with an easy way for us to just pop 20 or 30 million stem cells into our system via a capsule or two. Wouldn't that be interesting?

shazza

hi

Danny - I realize this is only a press release, but from what I have read about this company, they do indeed seem to be making headway in their plans to become a world leader in this type of technology. When I first saw your thread title, I thought someone had come up with an easy way for us to just pop 20 or 30 million stem cells into our system via a capsule or two. Wouldn't that be interesting?
l thought the same as you barbara, wouldnt it be lovely just to pop a single pill or be put on a course of them for several days!
sharon