Statin damage/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

rkozie

Hi everyone, and thanks for this forum! It is very welcome; I have already learned a lot. Thanks to the mods and sponsors.

I'm a 31 year old graduate student at the University of Washington. In 2007 I had a horrible reaction to the cholesterol drug Tricor, which left me with seemingly permanent, disabling fatigue (sometimes diagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), moderate cognitive dysfunction, and various pains all over my body. I can't work and my progress at school is very slow.

I'm hoping that stem cells will help me, but unfortunately, I am not exactly sure what is wrong with me. There is very little research on the people who are the "collateral damage" of statins and cholesterol drugs (hmm, wonder why...), and I simply don't know the cause(s) of my fatigue, weakness, brain fog, etc. My best informed guess is that my bodily fatigue was caused by muscle rhabdomyolysis throughout my body. But there is obviously a neurological component to my problems as well. My best, simplistic guess there is that my myelin was damaged somehow. Anything made of lipids may have been compromised. I had cognitive testing done and pretty much everything was impaired. My memory, short term, long term, and working memory, has suffered the most.

I have read of several people being successfully treated for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with intravenous cord cells at the Stem Cell Institute in Panama, but as far as I know I would be the first person being treated for statin damage. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know! I do know that horses are treated for exertional rhabdomyolysis with autologous stem cells.

I am here to learn, and perhaps ask some questions of doctors and experts, when they are available. I am looking at getting stem cell treatment within the next 2-3 years. Cheers, and my very best wishes to everyone on this site. I think we are incredibly lucky that this therapy exists, even if we shouldn't expect miracles.

Ryan

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome! Have you considering trying neuro feedback? It might be a cheaper alternative to stem cell therapy or at least another option to explore since so little is known about your condition. Another member of this forum is doing it right now and is so far very pleased with the results.
The Ask the Doctor will be back next month. I will submit your question(s)if you send them to my e-mail or private message me.

rkozie

Neurofeedback

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had a consult with a neurofeedback practitioner a few months ago, and I agree that it is another promising therapy. Another confounding factor in my condition is that I have been put on some inappropriate psychiatric meds, which have caused further brain problems, and which I'm now very slowly tapering off of.

The practitioner I talked to said I would be a good candidate for neurofeedback, but that I should come back after I was off my meds, which should be in a few months. I definitely plan to try it out.

Ryan