Six Month Update

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I can hardly believe that my six month anniversary is here. I think it is appropriate that it landed on the day that 5 of our forum members are getting stem cell therapy. I dedicate my update to all of you who have followed since Jeannine and I went. My progress continues. I have certainly had lots of ups and downs along the way, but most recently I seem to be on a very slight upward progression. Since, I no longer have SOB, my main concern has been getting off of O2. Yesterday, I spent a good portion of the day without O2 and maintained a 90. For me, this is good. I live in a high altitude. I cannot do this on a consistent basis yet and that will be something that I hope will happen within the next 6 months. I suffer greatly from Impatient Syndrome which is a term that Jeannine and I made up to describe how impatient we always are with our progress. I never think of how many years it took me to get as ill as I was and yet I want instant recovery after stem cell therapy. That is just not reality. If anyone thinks they are going to see overnight results, they are wrong. The key is lasting results that relieve a person of the tortures of their disease, whatever they may suffer from. I am continuing with the supplement program and the diet because I feel that if the cells are still engrafting up to a year than perhaps it would be best for me to stick with what has worked for me so far. I am going to allow myself a few strays from the diet, but on the whole, I am a vegetarian and eat pretty healthily anyway. Some stem cell doctors do not even advocate a diet or mention supplements, so this is a personal choice I have made to continue for another six months. I have noticed a constant improvement of my sats with O2 in the last couple of weeks. Instead of 90-93, I am seeing 95-97. Without O2, on a good day, I will see 90-91, but like I said not on a consistent basis or with much exertion. I do continue my PowerLung exercises faithfully. 2 times a day, 3 sets of 10 exercises. My Peak Flow meter numbers are averaging 500. With the meter I have, I used to be lucky to get 250. My meter is a manual meter I was given for asthma and the top number on it is 800. I measure 3 times a day. The greatest thing I can say for my stem cell treatment is not having any SOB. I used to have it almost all day long if I exerted myself whatsoever. It is so nice now to be able to run to answer the phone or let the dogs out without O2 and not have any SOB. Showering and dressing are two other areas that are so difficult for people with SOB. These things are no longer a chore for me. I lost the SOB on 5/20 after a really horrible week prior. Just recently I seemed a little sluggish and this lasted a couple of weeks. I didn't have the same energy level and was feeling that maybe I had reached the point where I would see no more results. Then, just like the SOB disappearing overnight, I suddenly started seeing higher sats and am feeling absolutely fabulous again. I have nothing to attribute this to and have no medical explanation for it. I also have been negligent in doing the treadmill and my other exercises lately. I do like to stay fit, but exercise is obviously not affecting my sudden burst of better sats because I haven't been exercising. The fall weather usually gets to me and maybe that was what happened, however, it is still fall weather where I live and now I feel better than ever. I have reduced my medication by 50 percent. I used to need 4-5 lpm of O2 while doing anything and I would still drop to the 80's at times. Now, I can use 2lpm and not drop. The only time I crank my O2 up is to exercise on the treadmill like a mad woman. I am currently able to do 4.0 easily and the last time I was on, I was fooling around with 5.0mph. I also can do a .4 incline at 3-3.5mph. I usually do the treadmill for 10-20 minutes followed by theraband exercises for my upper body and the recumbent bike for a couple of minutes. I was needing 2 lpm for sitting and now I usually do not use O2 while sitting.
My energy level should put some healthy people to shame. I am constantly on the go and do not feel tired or draggy whatsoever. I stay up late, get up early, work and also help with the forum. One thing that of course I am very disappointed about is that I am still not able to vacuum. I feel that NOVAC is an irreversible disease that I will have forever. Of course, I am sad about this, but if that is my lot in life, to not be able to vacuum, I will have to accept it.
I have rambled enough. Happy anniversary Jeannine and healthy wishes to all of you.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Barb
Happy 6 Month Anniversary to you too!

Like Barb I have made considerable improvements in my quality of life. My shortness of breath has been reduced by 75% and I use my O2 only for walking long distances and sleeping. I no longer need it while sitting and maintain 94-95% and even 97% for hours now.

The past few weeks have been the most telling for me. Last June when I would drive my son to school I needed O2 for the entire trip (one hour round trip). I was pleasantly surprised when I started driving him again in September to discover I don't need it at all when driving him.

It's all been worth it for me and I would do it again. I haven't felt this good in at least 4 years.

John

Pioneer Founding member
Barb,
I believe that at 6 months all of the engrafting is over. Is that correct? If so are the stem cell still growing? Do you expect that the improvement will continue for anothe r6 months or should it tapper off? What's your opinon.
John

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Six months more at least

According to my doctor, I could still see a lot of "action" up to one year at least. I am going to continue as usual. I am still seeing so many small daily improvements that I don't think there is a strict cutting off point at six months. I will continue to update everyone.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Fantastic day

I sure saw a lot of good saturation action today. I was working out on my treadmill and I do use continuous flow O2 when I do that and I turn it up to 5lpm. I was alternating doing 3.0 mph at a .4 incline and doing 4.0 mph on a flat surface. I also spurted a bit at 5.0. I then did my Theraband exercises for the upper body and the recumbent bike. I had sats as high as 98 while doing this. I have NEVER exercised and been able to get a 98 saturation reading while working out at a continuous, fairly strenuous clip. Needless to say, I am having another day without O2 and am able to stay in the 90's at all times even when walking. I haven't tried any lifting, but this is great for me today. I forgot to mention too that I have lost 16 pounds since I got stem cell therapy. Most of it was due to prednisone usage. I have kept it off and I do not count calories, believe me. I am a big eater. Just a little news to let everyone know that my progress seems to be continuing at a nice level.

Connie Golden

Progress Reports!

Barb and Jeannine,
It is a wonderful inspiration to all of us that followed you to keep up on how well you are progressing post cells. I plan to try to stay on the diet for as long as I can...maybe forever. How did you make the decision to cut back on your medications, e.g. prednisone? Did you doctor suggest this? I currently take a 20mg prednisone every other day and would sure like to stop.
None of us needs to lug around any more weight that absolutely necessary.

Last night I had a really severe body itch all over the trunk of by body. No welts but it was bad. I hadn't eatten anything to cause this. It is probably related to my psoriasis but thought I would mention this. I have been trying to get more sleep time as my body seems to be craving more. As I work from 8-6, five 1/2 days a week, I've been going to bed with the chickens. (I need at least 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours prep time in the mornings and I'm not talking about makeup!). I'm not complaining. I've worked all my life and it's my life line for now.

Wish I could do something to repay you for all the good you have done for so many others.

Have either of you given any thought to going back for a second treatment?
Love and best wishes to you all. Connie

P.S. Rose refused to go skinny dipping. Frankly, I think she is far too
dignified. You should have asked Bev. She would probably have taken the "dare". She is a real live wire. She took lots of photos and kept the conversations going. We hadn't been at the hospital in Tiajuana long before they whisked Ward and Ross away. So much for ladies first in Mexico!!!

Special salute to my four companions, Rose, Bev, Ross and Ward. Be well soon.

Connie Golden

Progress Reports!

Barb and Jeannine,
It is a wonderful inspiration to all of us that followed you to keep up on how well you are progressing post cells. I plan to try to stay on the diet for as long as I can...maybe forever. How did you make the decision to cut back on your medications, e.g. prednisone? Did you doctor suggest this? I currently take a 20mg prednisone every other day and would sure like to stop.
None of us needs to lug around any more weight that absolutely necessary.

Last night I had a really severe body itch all over the trunk of by body. No welts but it was bad. I hadn't eatten anything to cause this. It is probably related to my psoriasis but thought I would mention this. I have been trying to get more sleep time as my body seems to be craving more. As I work from 8-6, five 1/2 days a week, I've been going to bed with the chickens. (I need at least 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours prep time in the mornings and I'm not talking about makeup!). I'm not complaining. I've worked all my life and it's my life line for now.

Wish I could do something to repay you for all the good you have done for so many others.

Have either of you given any thought to going back for a second treatment?
Love and best wishes to you all. Connie

P.S. Rose refused to go skinny dipping. Frankly, I think she is far too
dignified. You should have asked Bev. She would probably have taken the "dare". She is a real live wire. She took lots of photos and kept the conversations going. We hadn't been at the hospital in Tiajuana long before they whisked Ward and Ross away. So much for ladies first in Mexico!!!

Special salute to my four companions, Rose, Bev, Ross and Ward. Be well soon.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Hi Connie

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip and met some of our fellow stem cell pioneers.

Prepare yourself for Mr Toad's wild ride at least for the first month or two. You will get impatient, irritated, etc. but all the while you will notice small improvements.

As far as medications and when to stop taking them. Well you will figure this out on your own by how you feel. I was using a nebulizer 3-4 times a day which tapered off to 2 times a day and not long afterward the nebulizer wound up in the closet where it has been for at least 2 months now. My xoponex inhaler is used once a day and I still continue to take Advair and Spiriva because I don't feel comfortable about stopping yet, but that's the extent of my prescriptions. I am still taking a good portion of the supplements because I figure they can't hurt. Although as they run out I am not planning to replace many of them other than my CO-Q10, multivitamin, Vitamin E&C and NAC. I may continue to take the Cartinine and Alpha Lipoic but I haven't decided yet.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome home Connie

Connie - Your nice comments are all the payment I will ever need. I wasn't on prednisone when I went. You might want to read what Dr. Feinerman said about pred in the last "Ask The Doctor" forum. It is located near the bottom of the Home Page. I have only cut down on a few supplements. I reduced the viatmin E to only 1 per day. I cut the alpha lipoic down by 600 mg a day and I have reduced the calcium citrate by 1 per day. The rest of the supplements I am still taking because I am still seeing improvements and from all I have read and found out from more than one doctor, this can occur up to a year at least. The diet is easy for me as I am a vegetarian as you probably know. I have had a margarita to celebrate an event and a milkshake, but no other earth shattering departures from the diet. A good diet is something that a person will get benefits from the rest of their lives, so I try to eat right. I do not plan to have any additional treatments at this time. I am still not totally off O2 and this is what I am hoping the next six months will bring. Being that I have no role model that has had umbilical cord stem cell therapy before me, I cannot even pretend to know how much more improvement I will see. I was somewhat tired at first like you, but once the supplements and diet kick in, these are real energy boosters. I can go from early morning to late night and have no problem. I do think the fall season, in general, makes people a little sleepier and of course it is giving your body time to heal as long as you don't sleep too much. I am very impressed that the group did not get thrown out of the resort. It sounds like you all pretty much behaved yourselves! Since this was the first time they had ever had 5 COPD patients all at once at this hospital, they probably didn't know who to take first. Maybe, they figure men are more trouble and just wanted to get them over with. Who knows? Please, guys do not blast me with nasty e-mails, that was a joke. Good to hear from you. If that rash keeps up too long, I would contact one of the doctors at SCB.

rosech44

Congrats To Barb And Jeannine

Thankyou Both For Sharing Your Lives, And This Treatment With Us---- And Your Knowledge.
Connie, My Friend Thankyou For Your Kind Remarks, About The Skinny Dipping:D---actually It Wasn't Warm Enough For Me To Get In Any Pool Suit Or Not---- I Don't Know Why They Took Ross And Ward Before Any Of Us Ladies, But, It's Ok By Me, I Know Ross Was Having A Pretty Rough Time Of It, If I Had Known Bev Was Going To Be So Upset About Being Last, I Would Have Let Her Go Before Me--lol--I Received My Protocol In The Mail Today, Did Anyone Else Get Theirs????

The Only Difference I Have Noticed Is My Hands Do Not Hurt Anymore--the Cells For Osteoarthritis Must Be Working. My Mouth Seems To Be Sore, I'm Wondering If It Is All The Supplements Etc. Will Try Some Swish And Swallow On It---

Rose
Had Treatment 10/04/07

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Today's Pulmonary Doctor Visit

Hi Folks
I just returned from my pulmo visit. He said my lungs were clean as a whistle. He tested my lungs with a few tests and said that the numbers on some of the tests had improved (the diffusion area has increased as well as my expiratory flow) but that others were still unchanged. He did say that it could take up to a year for the improvements to continue (guess he's been brushing up on stem cells).

I also convinced him to let me try hormone replacement therapy. Estrogen is supposed to cause regeneration of alveoli and I told him I am willing to give that a shot. I don't mind being a test lung dummy.

I return for more a formal PFT in January when we hope to see even more improvements.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome to the 21st century doc

Way to go Jeannine. This was a pulmo if I recall who was totally out of the loop and discouraged you from getting stem cell therapy. We are making progress!