Russian stem cell treatment for MS

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bowmanville mother turning away from Canadian medicine to seek Russian stem cell treatment
Suffering from multiple sclerosis, Ximena Davidson wants the options offered overseas

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/5481344-bowmanville-mother-turning-away-from-canadian-medicine-to-seek-russian-stem-cell-treatment/

By Brad Andrews
CLARINGTON -- The costs of living with multiple sclerosis, both in money and quality of life, are driving one Bowmanville woman to seek treatment in Russia.

Ximena Davidson was diagnosed with MS two years ago. The 44-year-old mother of four is now forced to use a cane to get around and plan her day around her limitations, rather than a family’s daily schedule. The once-active homemaker faces severe balance issues and can no longer take part in the activities she loves or play with her children.

“I can move from A to B of course,” said Ms. Davidson. “But when it comes to climbing stairs, now I have to think about it, whether it’s worth it.

“We have a trail behind our house I can’t walk with my husband and children.”

Ms. Davidson also feels limited in the treatment options she can receive for her condition here in Canada, opting to undergo a stem cell treatment in Russia later this month.

“I’m pretty lucky I cam still move,” said Ms. Davidson. “By the time I’ll be able to be treated here I’ll be much worse.

“I don’t want to be in a wheelchair 10 years from now.”

The high cost of living with MS is driving her decision. After her husband switched jobs, their insurance plans changed, meaning the Davidsons spend $30,000 a year on medications and treatments. Ms. Davidson applied to take part in a clinical trial using stem cell treatments for MS patients in Ottawa but said she was rejected because she’s “not ill enough.”

That’s when she looked into seeking treatment in Russia.

For $40,000 US and one short-term visit to Moscow, Ms. Davidson believes she can free herself of MS. In Russia she’ll undergo a hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT), a transplanting of stem cells, from bone marrow for example, to re-set a patient’s immune system.

“No one ever told me about this; it was like here’s the drugs, good luck.” said Ms. Davidson. “Basically they’ll kill the cells that are giving me MS.”

Dr. Mark Friedman, professor of medicine in the field of neurology at the University of Ottawa and head of the medical trial Ms. Davidson applied to, is skeptical. He said he would never support someone travelling to Russia to pay for HSCT treatments.

“I don’t know what exactly they are doing and they do not share all their details,” said Dr. Friedman. “It is all in the conditioning treatment used and the type of HSCT replacement that may well make the difference.”

He added HSCT treatments are available for Canadian patients who display aggressive, early, or active MS and have failed preventative therapies and drug treatments in Canada, the cost of which is driving Ms. Davidson to look to Russia.

While Dr. Friedman couldn’t comment on Ms. Davidson’s attempt to take part in his study, he said they evaluate every case and determine whether the treatment would be of value. They do not simply offer the treatment to cash-bearing customers, he said.

“Some patients are simply unreasonable and want things they do not understand,” he said. “That is why they are forced to go abroad to places willing to do what medically may be unnecessary, for cash-paying customers.”

Ms. Davidson says it’s not unreasonable to want to be well.

“I’m happy another country is willing to give this option to patients,” she said. “The fact that they’re giving me the chance and not closing doors, I’ll take it.”

Ms. Davidson has already booked her ticket to Moscow, set to fly out March 22, where she will spend a month in Russian care.

Two fundraising accounts are available if any in the community wish to support the cost of the treatments to Ms. Davidson and her family.

TD Canada Trust: #2104 6203219

Tilt Crowdfunding: https://www.tilt.com/campaigns/flip-the-bird-to-ms-in-russia