RNL BIO and CP clinical trials

pink7

This is news from Korea. RNL BIO is going to do Phase 2 and 3 for CP using their stem cell called ASTROSTEM. Wait to hear the results.

RNL BIO files new stem cell drug IND with KFDA to initiate phase II and III cerebral palsy trials
Published on February 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM · Sharein
RNL BIO CO LTD (RNL) announced today the filing of an Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the Korean Food and Drug Administration (KFDA) to initiate clinical trials phase II and III assessing the company's RNL-Astrostem™ stem cell drug in patients with cerebral palsy. The purpose of this study is to assess conclusive efficacy of stem cells for the treatment of cerebral palsy in 45 subjects over 11 months. The study is to be conducted through Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong and THE Bethesda Hospital.
RNL-Astrostem™, has already completed a phase I trial to assure safety, including tests to rule out toxicity or tumorigenicity. This trial was conducted at the Seoul National University's Clinical Research Institute. In addition, the phase I study has confirmed the safety of stem cells infused by IV, as published in a leading peer-reviewed journal, Stem Cells and Development ("Safety of intravenous infusion of human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells in animals and humans," February 2011). In the course of successful safety trials, scientists found significant evidence suggesting the potential for efficacy of stem cells in treatment of cerebral palsy. In addition, a case report with obvious result of improvement was published in another internationally renowned journal. RNL BIO believes that with successful trials and approval of the KFDA, it will be possible to commercialize RNL-Astrostem™ by 2014, revolutionizing the possibility to cure this incurable disease of children, which can only be managed with current technologies.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20130211/RNL-BIO-files-new-stem-cell-drug-IND-with-KFDA-to-initiate-phase-II-and-III-cerebral-palsy-trials.aspx

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks for posting this pink7. Considering this is RNL-BIO, I'm sure the usual critics here in the U.S. will dismiss it. Hopefully, we can get more information on the journals the article mentions.

I certainly hope that this is successful. 2014 is not that far off!

LLL6521

This is fantastic news for those parents that have CP children like me. These are the kind of treatments I've been looking for. If these overseas treatments keep outpacing the US, well we will all have one option; go overseas for proper treatments!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
If RNL shows some good evidence, then parents will make the trek. I've been to Korea a couple of times, traveling through the country. The people are friendly and the facilities quite good.

One of our members sent me the the journal articles. They are in a pdf. If anyone would like me to send them, please contact me and give me your e-mail address so I can forward them.