Quack Watch needed quickly

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
mysty119 sent this to me earlier today. Since then 2 more people have sent it to me. This is absolute utter nonsense. Use it wherever you can to show that the FDA has become a great candidate for Quack Watch. We are actually entrusting our lives to this group of snap, crackle and pops? I don't want them regulating my stem cells in any manner. Obviously, they are unable to justify what they do all day to come up with this moronic decision about breakfast cereal. What next everyone? Don't just sit there and let the FDA regulate your life away. Get active. Spread the word about ASCTA on a daily basis and continue hammering your legislators, the President, media and the FDA (although they might be working on a very important project (such as the Cheerios one) and won't be able to read our e-mails or take phone calls.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/05/12/fda-warns-general-mills-cheerios-is-a-drug/

http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/cheerios-are-a-drug/

danny

Wow this tops everything!! All they care about is making everyone treat diseases and take their drugs your entire life! I guess we can never here natural cures/treatments !!!

hlichten

Super Moderator
As for this Cheerio's blast from the FDA, I have no doubt that Cheerios does not have the benefits that it claims, and likely does not have the fiber content it claims, etc., etc. I eat healthy cereal's, personally, like Nature's Path and granola from a health food store, and for the FDA to try to muscle companies like General Mills, Kellogg's and Post who brought us the wonderful "drug" SUGAR as children, and tooth decay is not that surprising. I am quite sure that they are calling it a "drug" based on the bogus claims and ingredients listed on the box. Just look at the garbage that is in a typical box of stuff like this! I am constantly telling people that a loaf of bread should have like 4 to 6 ingredients, and if the ingredients are like a small book, then the bread is no good for you.

Keep in mind they are the FDA (FOOD and DRUG Administration) and to say that most cereals on grocery store shelves are food is a real stretch!

I continue to say this, my friends:
The fight that we want to win is to be allowed to control the use of our own stem cells without regulation. The way to win that is to FOCUS solely on the issues that will bring that end. To blast the FDA for every thing we can find wrong with them is not going to close down the FDA, and, again, I think that it weakens our position.

Once again, just my $.02

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Harv - you are absolutely right. My beef and the reason I say this belongs on Quack Watch is the length of time it has taken the FDA to warn General Mills about this atrocious claim they have misled us with for several years now. This agency moves slower than my tortoises during hibernation. It's the same with dangerous drugs. Lest we regress off our goal of legalizing A-ASC treatment, I agree with you, however the Cheerios flap did provide me with a bit of levity. I have decided to skip breakfast altogether as it has become far too dangerous. Just kidding..............

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
FDA takes on Lasik treatment. Read this while you eat a bowl of Cheerios.

Here's another one that gains my Johnny Come Lately award. Cheerios, move over, the FDA is cleaning their closets and now they are going to get tough on those that promote and perform Lasik surgery. This action comes over a year after a public meeting was held. Now, that's some fast action if I ever saw it. My hibernating tortoises can move out quicker than that. I'll just bet the American Academy of Opthalmology physician's group appreciated the reminder. About as much as they would appreciate a black eye (no pun intended). I am seriously dismayed that the FDA is taking so long to react to patient complaints. What are they doing? Of course, some of the big boys were spared as you will read. And as for Lasik not being a miracle, I guess I would have to say it is to me. It's all in how you define miracle. I was legally blind when I went to Canada to have laser surgery done on both of my eyes. That procedure is somewhat different from the Lasik procedure performed today, but I am so happy that I had it done. I could see clearly again and didn't need to hassle with contact lenses or glasses. Having poor vision can actually be dangerous if one is in any type of accident (fire, car wreck, etc. where glasses or contacts may be lost). I literally could not see anything but blurs. Thank you Canada for giving me years of good vision before the U.S. got around to approving it. I regress, but I am getting very upset about the bumbling idiocy that seems to be taking place at the FDA. There is no excuse for taking over a year. This has happened with dangerous drugs as well. It will be catastrophic in terms of lives if the FDA gets away with declaring our own stem cells to be drugs. Join ASCTA today. We can't let this happen. www.safestemcells.org

By Susan Heavey

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Doctors, clinics and others promoting corrective eye surgery known as LASIK need to make sure their advertisements tell consumers about possible risks, U.S. regulators said in a letter released on Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration, which has been investigating patient complaints over the procedure, told healthcare providers that commercials and other promotions that do not convey necessary warnings, side-effects and other precautions are deceptive.

"Advertising and promotional materials for FDA-approved lasers used during LASIK procedures must be truthful, properly substantiated and not misleading," wrote Timothy Ulatowski, head of the Office of Compliance for the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health.

The letter comes more than a year after the FDA held a public meeting that drew dozens of unhappy patients who complained of blurriness, double-vision, depression and other problems after undergoing LASIK, or laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis.

Surgeons and other industry groups said the procedure is safe and effective when done properly and that most patients are satisfied with their vision afterward.

LASIK involves cutting a flap in the eye and then using a laser to reshape the cornea, aiming to improve patients' vision so they can avoid glasses or contact lenses. About 700,000 Americans have undergone the procedure since it was approved in 1998, industry estimates have shown.

The FDA's letter spares LASIK-related companies which could have been hurt by stricter action, including device makers Abbott Laboratories' unit Abbott Medical Optics Inc, Alcon Inc, and Bausch & Lomb as well as clinics such as TLC Vision Corp and LCA Vision Inc.

A weak U.S. economy has already dampened demand for the elective surgery, which can cost several thousand dollars per eye and is not covered by most health insurers.

The FDA splits oversight of LASIK advertising with the Federal Trade Commission, which could not be immediately reached for comment. If the FDA deems LASIK advertising misleading, it can issue warning letters as well as take stronger action such as imposing fines or making referrals for criminal investigation.

But Diana Zuckerman, president of National Research Center for Women & Families, said the FDA could have done more than send a "vague" letter that does not help "patients in any meaningful way.

"The problem is there are certain people who are unlikely to benefit (from LASIK) and they don't know who they are," she said. "At this point many people think LASIK is some kind of miracle ... and that's just not true."

The agency should instead require doctors and clinics to give potential patients a simple, easy-to-understand booklet that lays out all the possible risks, Zuckerman said.

FDA spokeswoman Mary Long said the agency has taken additional steps, including updating its website and making it easier for people to report problems to the FDA.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology physicians' group said it appreciated the "reminder" from the FDA and would give the letter to its members. Other industry groups either could not be immediately reached or had no comment.