Pulmatrix's iSperse(TM) Drug Delivery Potential "Game Changer" In Lung Disease Battle

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Pulmatrix's iSperse(TM) Drug Delivery Potential "Game Changer" In Lung Disease Battle

Monday, June 13, 2016
[ACCESSWIRE]

In An Interview with CEOCFO Magazine, Dr. Robert Clarke Explains How Pulmatrix's Innovative Inhaled Drugs Can Fight Serious Infections and Tackle Major Unmet Medical Needs

PHILADELPHIA, PA / ACCESSWIRE / June 13, 2016 / CEOCFO Magazine, an independent investment and B2B publication that conducts interviews with company CEOs, announced today that it has published an interview with Robert Clarke, PhD, CEO of Pulmatrix, Inc. (NASDAQ: PULM).

As Dr. Clarke describes in the interview, Pulmatrix is a small pharmaceutical company developing innovative inhaled drugs to treat respiratory diseases. "Specifically, we look at COPD, asthma, cystic fibrosis, and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, all of which are major diseases of the lung," Dr. Clarke says.

Pulmatrix has created a novel engineered dry powder technology, called iSPERSE™, for delivering drugs deep into the lungs. "What differentiates it from traditional inhaled approaches is that the particles fly very easily into the patients' airways," Dr. Clarke explains. That boosts the efficiency of drug delivery and makes it possible to deliver high doses when needed.

The first product candidate in the company's pipeline is PUR0200, a once daily bronchodilator for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which affects tens of millions of patients worldwide. Clinical data show that Pulmatrix's delivery system is so efficient that PUR0200 can use a dose of the active drug that's 80% lower than that of the current standard of care to get similar benefits. Pulmatrix expects to follow a quick path to approval in Europe, while also seeking approval in the U.S.

The next product candidate is PUR1900, an inhaled drug to treat fungal infections in the airways of patients. The only current treatment, using oral antifungal drugs, is both relatively ineffective and causes serious side effects. That's because "you have to take a lot of the antifungal orally to get the drug into the bloodstream and all the way into the lung tissue," Dr. Clarke explains. "We believe we can correct both of those issues."

The iSPERSE technology can deliver virtually any type of drug, from small molecules to large antibodies, so it can be used for many different diseases. "We have this applicable technology to bring better products forward for patients," says Dr. Clarke. The company now is considering other disease targets. It also has a strong financial position, having raised enough money last year "to take us into mid-2017," says Dr. Clarke. The Pulmatrix CEO discussed the company's plans in a recent Stock-Sector.com news interview. http://stock-sector.com/stock-sector-discusses-pulmatrixs-unique-inhaled-drugs-in-interview-with-ceo-dr-robert-clarke/.

Bud Wayne
Editorial Executive, CEOCFO Magazine
570-851-1745

SOURCE: CEOCFO Magazine

jgp

Why not Losartan?

Barb; Tell me if you understand the reason that most drugs inhaled work better than taken orally. Yet Losartan that is suppose to help slow progression of emphysema according to latest trials by Johns Hopkins, they are taking it orally and getting some improvements in lungs, wouldn't inhaled be so much better. I really believe they don't want to find a cure. I read somewhere that Diabetes costs 200 billion yearly and someone said they will take forever to cure it, because the money maker it is. God bless

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I agree that there is no profit in a cure so there is no incentive to find one with Big Pharma. That still shouldn't preclude them from not making medications that are inhaled rather than taken orally that don't threaten their market by curing anyone. If a patient gets more benefits (i.e. stops the progression, improves breathing, lung function with long term use) then why not make it in inhaled form? Makes little sense to me why they don't.