Preventable deaths approaching 2 million mark

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Since the FDA is declaring our own stem cells to be drugs, this means that they have taken control of some of our physiology. They are not going to allow stem cell doctors to enhance our own cells in any way so as to make them clinically relevant for treatment until endless clinical studies have been performed. The 2 million preventable deaths estimate in this article is way low. To this figure many more millions will need to be added if the FDA is allowed to prevent people from obtaining safe stem cell treatment.
This article was very interesting to me because where is the same type of "motherly" concern exhibited by the FDA for our stem cells when it comes to not regulating additives in food, tobacco, liquor, etc. They are not mandating that food that comes from cloned or genetically engineered sources be labeled as such, to my knowledge. This is preposterous. There is a little warning on cigarette packs from the Surgeon General, but does a smoker even care or take the time to read it? What about trans fat and preservatives? You can Google aspartimine for some real shocking news. Diet Coke sounds a lot worse for my body than having treatment with my own stem cells. This article questions whether or not the right interventions are being used. The FDA is taking away the one intervention that could restore our health - stem cell treatment with our own stem cells! This is senseless. How has our system gotten so twisted and confused? My opinion is the huge lobbying power that large pharmaceutical companies have. Their business thrives and grows on our not being healthy so I guess if they can find a sap in the FDA that's just what they are going to do. ASCTA (www.safestemcells.org) is trying to do an intervention, but quite frankly, I am very disappointed with the "turn out" so to speak when there is an announcement on this forum to help with commenting, etc. If we do nothing, we will get nothing.

May 1, 2009

Estimated US deaths due to preventable factors approach 2 million per year

An article published online on April 28, 2009 in the journal Public Library of Science Medicine (PLoS Medicine) estimates 1,977,000 deaths each year in the United States are due to preventable risk factors. Smoking, hypertension and being overweight top the list, with 1,078,000 yearly deaths attributed to these preventable causes.

For their report, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health, along with colleagues from the University of Toronto and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, utilized data from U.S. health surveys as well as mortality statistics from the National Center for Health Statistics. Deaths were categorized as preventable if the subjects would not have died at the time they did if they did not have a particular modifiable risk factor. In addition to smoking, high blood pressure and overweight/obesity, the team listed the following risk factors as among the top preventable causes of death: inadequate physical activity, elevated glucose, high low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, insufficient omega-3 fatty acid intake, high trans fatty acid intake, alcohol abuse, low vegetable and fruit intake, and low dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids. While alcohol use is protective against mortality from cardiovascular disease and diabetes, alcohol-related deaths from traffic and other accidents, violence, cancer and other diseases outweighed its benefits, leading to an estimated 64,000 yearly deaths.

When men and women were separately examined, smoking emerged as the leading preventable cause of death among men, while high blood pressure was responsible for more deaths in women. Twenty-one percent of male deaths were attributable to smoking, and 19 percent of female deaths to hypertension. The majority of deaths from alcohol use occurred in men, due to their higher intake of the beverage and greater incidence of binge drinking.

By examining a wide range of causes, the study is the most comprehensive yet to evaluate the impact of dietary, lifestyle and metabolic risk factors on chronic disease mortality in the U.S. "The large magnitude of the numbers for many of these risks made us pause," noted lead author and Harvard School of Public Medicine doctoral student Goodarz Danaei. "To have hundreds of thousands of premature deaths caused by these modifiable risk factors is shocking and should motivate a serious look at whether our public health system has sufficient capacity to implement interventions and whether it is currently focusing on the right set of interventions."

"The findings should be a reminder that although we have been effective in partially reducing smoking and high blood pressure, we have not yet completed the task and have a great deal more to do on these major preventable factors," senior author Majid Ezzati added. "The government should also use regulatory, pricing, and health information mechanisms to substantially reduce salt and trans fats in prepared and packaged foods and to support research that can find effective strategies for modifying the other dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors that cause large numbers of premature deaths in the U.S."

Last edited:

Kaye

Barbara

Thank you for your well written response to try to help all of us. I did write and express my view, unfortunately I did it as a guest. If we don't get all our members and friends of our members to reply, it looks like we are not organized to respond to this type of garbage. I am also trying to contact the two senators and one congressman for my district. So far have only received a reply by e-mail from one of them and then all he was talking about was embryonic stem cells or research for embryonic stem cells. Par for the course. I then sent another e-mail to him and asked him to read the e-mail again, stating that this has nothing whatsoever to do with embryonic cells. We want to stop the FDA from determining that our own stem cells are not drugs. The other senator and the congressman didn't bother to reply at all. We have to start calling. This issue is so very import to all of us. I'll just keep plugging. Thanks again for all the information and all the work you put in. Come on folks - get in there and help!
Kaye

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thank you Kaye

Kaye - Keep up the great work. I was not pointing the finger at anyone individually, just collectively. With almost 7000 guests visiting this forum last month and nearly 700 solid members, that is what I based my gripe on. We have to do what you are doing in big numbers to get our lives back. You are a great example of a Pioneer and I appreciate your telling us what you have been doing. I hope others will do the same. I know many have, but we need more. I hope everyone will feel free to post what they have written or talking points that they have come up with. This could help others. Anyone that reads my posts can feel free to use all or any part of them in this fight. This is one we have to win. We also need to try to educate the public, our legislators and the media that this is about our own adult stem cells, not embryonic stem cells. I cannot believe the absolute confusion that goes on with so many people. Knowledge is power and that's what we must have in order to get what we want. If you read the ridiculous comments from two people on the Channel 7 site, we pretty much shut down their arguments. One tried to frighten people with saying treatment could possibly cause cancer. Dr. Young shut that down quickly. If we counter with facts, then they will lose. They called us ignorant and unable to keep ourselves safe. We came back with facts and countered that argument too. I was really proud of the responses we gave, but we need volume to get a follow up story and that's where I was disappointed. Thanks to everyone who did respond.