"PRE"-Stem Cell Therapy

Mysty119

I have not had my therapy yet and therefore like to hear about other's experiences. I am also curious as to everyone else PRE-therapy health condition. I showed mine in a previous post under the Pulmonary section with the title 'three month update'. But I will copy and paste it here.
I know I feel better hearing about other's state of health and mind before seeking the therapy,---and of course their progress after therapy. So I just thought maybe some of you would feel comfortable enough to share with us. I know when I wrote mine out that it helped me vent a little and hope perhaps it let others get to "know" a very important part of where I've been and how I've made it to now.
So please, feel free to contribute. Below, is my story:
Barb, Bev and Rose Part 1

I am going to be 59 shortly. I am told I went thru menapause 5 years ago or so. I don't know because I was on depo prevara and that kinda screws up the old menstrual cycle. I did have some hot flashes but used over the counter stuff for a very short time. Have had nothiing since. So maybe---just maybe, my cheerful self won't have any of that. (And I just know my husband prays for exactly that.) I've always been a pretty "up" person. Of course, I have my moments, like anyone else.
In October '03, I was taking care of my only grandaughter while mommy worked. I had her about 10 hours a day, and my husband was home recuperating from breaking his hip, breaking his arm and breaking some ribs from falling from a ladder while helping my daughter to move in May. At that time, I used the O2 when caring for her. (Exertion.) But a time came in April of '04 when one day, while wearing O2 at 4 lpm, I felt as tho' I couldn't breathe. I upped it to 6mpl out of fear. No help there. Then had husband call 911. I was aware and talking when they got here, and remember getting off the couch and putting myself on the stretcher. After that----zippo! When I awoke, I thought it was the night of the day I went in the ambulance to the hospital. Nope. I had been intubated and put on life support. Apparently,----each time they went to remove the intubation tube, my blood pressure sky rocketed. So---the put me in an induced coma. I had already been there 8 days!!!!!!! ( But did not know this at the time. I learned this AFTER I got home.) All in all---I was there for two weeks. Never found the cause. Only said the only possible thing they could think of was that I had contracted a heart virus. I had never heard of such a thing!!! I found out from a friend, that his mom had also had a heart virus and was sleeping when it happened; and she passed away. Anyway---I was quite weak after being bed ridden for two weeks. They had physical therapists come to the house to help me get back on my feet and I was not only religious in doing as they said---but doing it longer!! (Type A personality). I was frustrated that I was on so many meds that when I'd get up to walk to the bathroom I was so dizzy and weak. I went from my very own precious cardiologist, to another to get another opinion!!!! Man----BIG mistake. I'll have to continue this in an additional post??

Barb, Bev and Rose Part 2

She told me that she wanted to refer me to Rochester (Minnesota) for a heart transplant. That I could "go" any minute. My heart function was at 20% or less. That is 1/3 of full function. (The 60% is full function because at any one time---your heart pumps 60% of the blood in your body.) I went back to my doc (a male and a great doctor), and he was in shock as she immediately wanted to put me on coumidin and change my meds. He said that if he had referred me to Rochester for a transplant---"they'd have laughed me out of my profession!!!!). I was being impatient. He told me it would take time, but I'd have to GIVE it some time.....not weeks or months, but TIME!!! Well, I went to pulmonary rehab and my first echo showed my heart at 30% (now I'm up to 1/2). As of January '07---guess who has full function in her heart!!!!! Yup---that would be me. And I was religious AFTER rehab to be on the treadmill (down in the basement) no less than 3 times a week. With O2 at 3mpl. In a few months( 5 or 6 ), I was doing a mile at a time with NO rest period at a 2 level. (2 mph). I had started at lowest speed for 10 minutes. I was breathing better and doing more without the O2. They want me on it when I sleep because your O2 does lower when reclined; AND when I exert myself--like exercising and cleaning. I learned to listen to my body and not "push" myself. When I'm out---if I tire walking--I sit!!!!! And I quickly reoxygenate in a matter of maybe, 3 minutes. So---Now--I'm TOO well to be put on the list at this time. I get it-----and yet I'm disappointed. I worked hard to get there---and now have to wait to be on O2 24/7!!!!!!
I was told a LVRS might help in '03 and they took the CT scans. My disease was too diffuse. (2-1-0). That the LVRS wouldn't help & that actually, it may do more harm than help. So, my doc moved on to transplant. I"ve been seen by Clevland Clinic since March of '07. I'm from East Syracuse, NY and I was going there every 3 months to be evaluated as to whether I'd be put on the list yet. I was there in June and again in September. I should be sceduled to be there at the end of this month. Should I mention what I'm thinking about doing? I know I will mention it to my home pumonary doc. I know there are some docs that may "poo-poo" the thought and others who will be curious. I've been tallking back and forth with Tony Hamel since sometime last year. He has been such an inspiration for me. He told me about you guys and I went a-huntin"!!!!! As of now---I use O2 exercising and cleaning. Very seldom need my inhalers as I always be sure to take my nebulizer treatments. For someone who doesn't see me 24/7, they can't believe I'm being considered for a transplant. They think I'm "just fine". I arrange my outings to just after a treatment. Or---I have a portable nebulizer to use when I'm out too long and need to keep going like the energizer bunny. I take no less than 2 Mucinex a day. And when going where there are a lot of people----malls, church--etc.---I swear by Airborne!!!! That stuff is awesome. I've always taken vitamins and supplements; so that part shouldn't be bad. I take C, E, B complex Calcium, etc. Been doing that since '93.
It is so great to have a support group like you guys. Serious, playful, scared, brave, and most of all----adventurous and helpful!!! Thank you so much for all your input. And thank God we have you here!!!!
Barb, I will let you know about the Power Lung. Is it available from you now; or will be soon? Take care all----and BREATHE (easy)!!!!!!!!!!!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
A little about my pre condition

I am hoping others will post their pre stem cell conditions as well. I have COPD and think I have had it for at least 10 years but was constantly being misdiagnosed. I had to go on Oxygen 24/7 a year ago last March. By then, I had a very enlarged heart and spent most of my time on the couch because I had such shortness of breath. It was horrible and I was mentally exhausted from constantly worrying about getting my next breath. I had formerly been a very active person. My breathing tests showed a decline yearly in my lung function which was also a big worry. I also was prone to catching everything that came around. A simple cold could last 2 months. I also got pneumonia a couple of times. I asked my pulmonologist if there was anything else that could be done and he said a lung transplant. I was aghast and couldn't believe it. I also didn't like what I was reading about transplants and that's when my hero Nassin posted something on a COPD forum about stem cells. The rest is history.

hlichten

Super Moderator
My pre-treatment condition is the same as my post-treatment condition unfortunately.

Mine is cardiac, not lung related.
Class IV acute angina, 3 out of 4 cardiac bypass grafts failed (bypass done about 15 years ago), 2 heart attacks when grafts failed, more than 20 stents, etc. etc. etc.

Also, acute digestive disorders due to esophageal cancer about 15 years ago.

I have a heart in good condition, with no good vessels, and need to grow new collaterals.

That's about it!

I have more detail, but these are the basics.

I has been 15+ years since diagnosis, had these conditions much longer.

Last edited:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Before stem cell treatment I was having so much shortness of breath and my heart would feel like it was going to pound its way out of my chest. And all of this was happening even after spending 6 months in pumonary rehab and walking a mile 3 times a week. In January 2007 I was seriously thinking about going on disability because walking from my car to my office was almost too much for me. I was on oxygen 24/7 and short of breath even when sitting. I avoided shopping, eating out, family get togethers and pretty much everything other than work because it took too much effort. I was 54 years old and was diagnosed with severe emphysema in Feb 2005 and placed on oxygen in March 2006. My life was looking pretty bleak until Feb 2007 when Nassin's story was posted on a COPD forum. Nassin gave me hope for a better quality of life and I will always be grateful to him.

Bev12452

my story

my story is pretty much like everyone else I have been going for a transplant since 2001 I started out at NY and moved to ny Cornell my numbers were so low the Dr's thought I would never make it off the table they wanted to try the lvrs while it was still in trial I was still working full time at the time and said I would wait well my angel was guarding me cause when the trial results came out they realized I would have probably died on the table I went out on disability in DEC 2003 and moved to Fl to be listed at Shanda in Gainesville for the transplant I would go see the team they would ask if I was ready I say no they say see you in 6 months well in august I didn't have the option for 6 months they wanted me to get listed right away somehow I stumbled onto this sight and my decision was made I had treatment in Oct my lung function is 11% so it is really low but I still function actually I just started on o2 all day I use to just let my stats go down but I was never short of breath I guess my body just got use to lower o2 levels the Dr's were amazed that I could even dress myself but I wasn't going to give in until I had no choice I thank my angels everyday for this group and especially Barbara and Jeannine whom I probably drove crazy Tony H who was kind enough to answer my posts honestly and my friend Ed who I called everytime I was a litle nervous he would talk me off the ceiling I credit these people with saving my life and keeping my own body parts Only you can make the right decsion for yourself but the group will be here for you through all the up and downs I know you had asked about the hormones well I have now gone through menopause twice I enjoyed it so much the first time I figured I would try it again My dr said said that was one way of knowing the cells were working I told him that wasn't what I wanted to start working but you take the good with the bad I love your upbeat determination you will do well

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You are a fighter Bev

I love your sense of humor Bev. You also have an upbeat personality. You are a fighter. This makes all the difference in the world if you ask me. Let's just hope with this roller coaster, we don't have to go through menopause a third time!

Mysty119

Jeannine---

Thanks so much for contributing. I do however, have one question for you. You have had stem cell biotherapy----what are the differences you've seen up to now?

Mysty119

Bev12452

Just from going thru all these forums and reading what's been posted, I can see how great Barb and Jeanine are!!! And Tony-----I contacted Tony over a year ago regarding lung transplant. No matter how insignificant my question (or so it sometimes seemed)---he always had, or found, and answer for me. And would remind me that "everything" was significant.
And, by the way---looks like I'm not the only one with upbeat determination!!!!:;)
Thanks for your contribution to this thread!

Mysty119

oh my----

my story is pretty much like everyone else I have been going for a transplant since 2001 I started out at NY and moved to ny Cornell my numbers were so low the Dr's thought I would never make it off the table they wanted to try the lvrs while it was still in trial I was still working full time at the time and said I would wait well my angel was guarding me cause when the trial results came out they realized I would have probably died on the table I went out on disability in DEC 2003 and moved to Fl to be listed at Shanda in Gainesville for the transplant I would go see the team they would ask if I was ready I say no they say see you in 6 months well in august I didn't have the option for 6 months they wanted me to get listed right away somehow I stumbled onto this sight and my decision was made I had treatment in Oct my lung function is 11% so it is really low but I still function actually I just started on o2 all day I use to just let my stats go down but I was never short of breath I guess my body just got use to lower o2 levels the Dr's were amazed that I could even dress myself but I wasn't going to give in until I had no choice I thank my angels everyday for this group and especially Barbara and Jeannine whom I probably drove crazy Tony H who was kind enough to answer my posts honestly and my friend Ed who I called everytime I was a litle nervous he would talk me off the ceiling I credit these people with saving my life and keeping my own body parts Only you can make the right decsion for yourself but the group will be here for you through all the up and downs I know you had asked about the hormones well I have now gone through menopause twice I enjoyed it so much the first time I figured I would try it again My dr said said that was one way of knowing the cells were working I told him that wasn't what I wanted to start working but you take the good with the bad I love your upbeat determination you will do well
Don't deprive yourself of oxygen. Tho you may be able to do things when your O2 stats are down----you are making your other organs work overtime. (ie: your heart, for one). At least, that's what I was told---and I believe it.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Mysty

I must warn you that not all folks who receive stem cells have the same results as Barb and I but then we are one of the first to have gotten them so maybe it's just a matter of time.

In a nutshell I can tell you that one year ago today I was contemplating going on disability because I had so much trouble doing anything that I preferred to simply sit home. I was short of breath even sitting and needed oxygen 24/7.

Today, I only need oxygen for sleeping and long walks over several hundred feet because I still do destaurate. I rarely get out of breath and my heart rate has dropped from an average of 95 at rest to 80. No more heart pounding either. I still work full time and go shopping, to movies, dining out, visiting, etc.

We were told it could take up to a year to see the complete improvements. So far it's only been 9 months.

Mysty119

Jeanine---

Oh, I realize each of us is unique, and that the outcome of our treatments will be different. I was curious----as will be others. It gives us hope. And hope and determination can do an awful lot. Again---thanks.;)

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Mysty

If you want day- by-day details of mine and Barb's journey you should read the book we wrote about our experiences before and after stem cells.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Pre treatment condition

I think Bev is using her O2 more regularly now. I got a very enlarged heart before I was even advised to go on oxygen, so yes other organs can be damaged. The good news is that my enlarged heart is now normal and very healthy. One problem I have had after stem cell therapy is feeling so good that I felt like my O2 levels were fine, when in fact they had dropped below what is considered acceptable. This makes it pretty necessary to use an oximeter which I was doing until I lost mine somewhere last week. Grrrrrrrrr I will probably find it somewhere. I have 4 cats who help me a lot with things like this. Last week we moved the couch and found 12 catnip mice, a plate and various other items such as pens and papers under it. My house really isn't a disaster, but from looking under the couch you would think it was. I hope we will continue to see some pre procedure posts. It is informative and thanks to all that are posting.

Achillian

My pre treatment condition, which has not yet changed, is chronic debilitating fatigue, joint, muscle, tendon pain, all caused by 10 years of undiagnosed Lyme disease! I could add lots of other nasties to my list of symptom, eg progressive muscle weakness, hair loss, insomnia etc etc.
My immune system has been so damaged it is only 15% functional, so the hope is that the stem cells will help restore immune function and repair tissue damage.
Have been feeling worse since getting the stem cells, but it's only been nine weeks.
Anne.
( had SCT in Germany 13th Nov 2007)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Good information - if you haven't posted, please do

I am glad to see we are getting a variety of diseases that people are willing to post about and tell us their pre stem cell condition. Again, one of the biggest factors, to me, is impaired immune systems. I think mine was totally shot from years of taking prednisone on a daily basis. Also, I think it is why when I had the cells implanted that my system was initially shocked to the point where I felt I was being euthanized. It didn't last but less than 15-20 minutes, but those minutes were enough to make me question what in the world I had done to myself. The CEO of the company where I had treatment had gone with us to the hospital and he said these reactions do happen even to big beefy football players. Some people even pass out he said. I was grateful to know that I was going to be okay, but I was also wishing I had known it going in. It's all in the past now and I am looking forward to a better life once I can get the roller coaster to come to a complete stop.

Looking at this old post I made, I have to laugh because the reaction I had was not something that ever should have happened. I didn't know that at the time, but I have learned since that this is not normal whatsoever.

Last edited: