Power Lung

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
I want to order Power Lung. Went to web site and am confused. Looks like I should order the yellow one - but I saw one for "trainer" and maybe that's the level I need. Advice please. Also, are they cheaper anywhere else other than order on line? Pat C.

Bev12452

the yellow one

Pat I ordered the power lung and the company rep told me the yellow one is the one to start out with I have been using it for a couple of weeks now but since Barbara mentioned to use it while laying down I feel like it is helping me more I do 4 reps of 10 3 time a day thats just me not saying if it is right I guess it all depends on how you feel good luck Bev

rosech44

I Oredered The Yellow One--which Is Working Fine For Me--also, I Bought It At Amazon.com So I Could Review The Stem Cell Pioneers Book, And It Was Cheaper There Than Anywhere Else---

Rose

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Power Lung dealers

If you go to the PowerLung site www.powerlung.com there is a list of dealers who sell the different models. For COPD patients, the Aliento st is the best to start with. There are two dealers listed that carry the All Series and I would contact them as well as try Amazon, E-Bay, etc. if you are shopping price. The Aliento ns model is for those that may have arthritis and find it hard to grip. This model is made for those people. If you do not have that problem, you need the st model. Hope this helps. Also, the people at the PowerLung company are very nice. They will answer any questions you may have beyond what we are telling you here.

I should also mention that I bought the wrong thing years ago. I am able to use it now that I am so much improved. So if you didn't get the right thing, don't despair, you will find you can use it as you get better after stem cell therapy.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The orange one is fine. I have an Aliento that is orange as well as my blue baby. They do change from time to time. Is Ward able to exercise on it yet? A few puffs a day even will help build up the strength in his lungs.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
News from the President of PowerLung

I received this e-mail and thought I would pass it on to those that are interested in the PowerLung

You can now start referring to the AireStream as it has completely replaced the Aliento and is part of the Active Series. You were one of the reasons we chose to make these changes. People like yourself who go all out to be more active deserve a product that reflects that desire and goal. Thus the AireStream in the Active Series. Just because you need a light resistance does not mean you want to be less active. Just the contrary, the light resistance will give you the extra respiratory muscle strength to help build on the other activities you are doing to increase your activity level. If someone has not taken the step to quit smoking, this is an excellent way to do that as well. Here is a link to the new Active Series Page:

http://www.powerlung.com/us/en/products/active/index.htm

Regine

Barbara: Ward had a bit of a set back last week that had nothing to do with the stem cells. He got a massage and the therapist did some work on the side where his ribs had been fractured before he realized that she should stop. So he's been sore from that all week and hasn't had much energy for anything. We watched the DVD for the "power lung" yesterday and I think he'll be able to start using it in the next couple of days. I'm having trouble getting the supplements because neither one of us can digest tablets. He needs capsules. Will keep searching. Glad to hear that everyone is doing OK.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Help with your supplements

Regine - Almost every vitamin/supplement I use from Puritan's Pride is a capsule. The amino 1500 isn't, but everything else is. If you need some help, e-mail Jeannine or me and we will be glad to help you with it. This is an important part of the post stem cell regimen in my opinion. What makes the capsules easier? The alpha-lipoic comes in a gel cap, so if you were unscrewing the capsules to make a powder, you would need to use the combo alpha lipoic/acetyl-l- carnitine because this is a capsule with powder in it. I would think you could also dissolve the ones that are in capsules, but I am no expert on that. Anyone else with an opinion?

rosech44

digesting tablets

As a last resort, you could pulverize the tablet in a blender or something, then mix in liquid to drink--

By the time I get them all down, I swear, I can hear myself rattle!!!!!!! LOL

Good Luck--Rose
treatment oct 4th

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Interesting facts from the president of PowerLung

I e-mailed Carolyn Morse, president of PowerLung in response to a posting on a COPD forum that said straws, stirs, balloons, bubbles were as good as spending any money on a lung exercisor. The entire topic came up when someone said they used the Breather and felt it was helping her. As you all know, I am a great advocate of the PowerLung and feel it has helped me considerably. I thank Carolyn for her prompt response to me and I want to share it with all of you.

Well, there is a lot to be said on this topic and I may go overboard with the technical side. Let me know if I miss anything or you have more questions.

Breathing by using a product that restricts the air flow you are only adding to what you already have -- restricted breathing! You need help really strengthening the muscles and re-learning deep breathing to overcome the restrictions you deal with every breath you take.

1. PowerLung is the only product available to provide flow independent, full range of motion, progressive threshold resistance to train deep breathing while strength training all 12 sets of respiratory muscles as you breathe with PowerLung. PowerLung is independently adjustable for inhale and exhale to accomodate different PowerLung uses and offers different models to accomodate different levels of users. PowerLung uses patented technology to accomplish this. PowerLung products are listed with the FDA as Class I Devices for respiratory muscle training in the physical medicine category. Here is a link to an independent study using PowerLung with information on respiratory muscle training; the diagram on page 2 is especially interesting http://www.powerlung.com/us/en/information/evidence/trueblood.htm. You can download the study to print or read online.

2. Flow restriction (where the resistance is created by restricting or cutting off the flow of the air) at best only offers some exercise to encourage breathing. Using The Breather and any other "flow restrictive" product is in fact the same as using different sizes of straws, or tubing, pursed-lip breathing or even whistling. As a matter of fact, if you have been in the hospital and have any of the devices they gave you, you have a flow restrictive device. The fact that people don't use them, even when they bring them home, attests to the fact that their results are limited. Plus, this is actually older technology and has been proven in published studies to in fact de-train the muscles and shorten the breath. Shortness of breath is not the desired result! Here is a link to an excerpt from the study: http://www.powerlung.com/us/en/information/studies/belman.htm

3. Just as a matter of record, the FDA does not "approve" devices of this kind and we are strictly forbidden, as is The Breather and any other product, to say it is "FDA Approved". Class I devices can never make medical claims that begins at a Class II level. At the Class II level, a device may be designated as authorized to be sold by prescription only or over the counter. The FDA is authorizing the company to sell the device in a particular manner for a particular use by a particular group of people. In order to make medical claims about helping specific ages in the diagnosis, treatment or cure of a disease the device company must prove the device, through clinical studies, and the FDA can then authorize the company to make these claims in advertising. Currently none of the products that are advertised on the internet are authorized by the FDA to claim they can diagnose, treat or cure any condition for any age. Those that are authorized as therapeutic devices are authorized to be sold by prescription only. The real truth of the matter is that most of the products currently advertised on the internet have not even taken the time to present their product to the FDA and are not authorized to make the claims they make. Most of them do not even have studies on their own products but instead list studies done using other products. Here at PowerLung, we refer to those as background studies. The studies shown on our website as Clinical Evidence are independent, third party studies published in peer-reviewed publications (print and online) or presented at peer conferences.

You can also encourage people to contact us at info@powerlung.com to ask any PowerLung questions. Let me know if I missed the point or if there are areas that need more information.

Sincerely,
PowerLung, Inc.
Carolyn Morse
800.903.3087 Toll Free
713.465.1180 Telephone
713.465.5742 Fax
www.powerlung.com
cmorse@powerlung.com

PS: Here's a link to a comparison chart and PowerLung advantages on our website:
http://www.powerlung.com/us/en/products/compare/index.htm
http://www.powerlung.com/us/en/information/advantage/index.htm

rosech44

Powerlung

Really Great Info--thanks For Posting---I Use My Powerlung, (yellow), But Not As Much As I Should---

I Must Learn To Discipline Myself----:d

Jan

Pioneer Founding member
Results in PFT from using powerlung impressed my doctor

My pulmonary doctor was so impressed with my last PFT that after I told him about the powerlung and what it was and how I have been using it, that he got the info from me regarding the manufacturers website. He said he thought all his patients could benefit from it. He further investigated it and thanked me later for the info. He isn't the average pulmo doctor..in that he is constantly doing continuing education and is an active member of pulmonary research.

Keep in mind too, that all doctors are not going to be interested enough to actually investigate anything that you might ask about to use to improve your situation. Some would just say, "yeah, that's fine" or others might say "I don't think that is a good thing for you to use." I am a nurse and I have witnessed doctors like that with patients. Not all doctors are equal just because they have MD behind their name. I have met a few quacks myself and personally fired one from my case when I first moved back to Texas.

Sometimes you just have to try things for yourself and if it helps you, that's great. If not, stop doing it. But as far as exercising any muscle it can only bring about good. And that is what the powerlung does...exercises your breathing muscles. You will be able to tell when you get those muscles conditioned too.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Message from the president of PowerLung

I received this e-mail from Carolyn Morse today. I had given a testimonial earlier for PowerLung which will be on their site. I told her other Pioneers were using it and had good results. She said they welcome all testimonials on their site, so I am passing on the information to all of you.

Barbara,

Thank you for your support. I would love to have the testimonials of anyone who is using PowerLung. We are always interested, as are our customers and prospects, to learn of the different reasons people choose PowerLung AND the different ways they use them. This is where we learn some of the tips on how to use PowerLung to get the best results -- From Our Customers!

I am really interested in "meeting" Dr. F because I want to see how we might work together for patients to get the most benefit from their implants. I believe people using PowerLung before they have implants will be a benefit because

1. They have learned to breathe deeply again. As you know SOB tends to make people breathe more shallow so this can help overcome some of impact of "bad breathing form" as they call it in music.
2. Strengthen the respiratory muscles to help them be at their best. As we age, we all lose muscle tone and have a tendency to "work smart not hard" which means our muscles may not get as much exercise. PowerLung can help overcome that.
3. Help support better posture. I can't tell you how many times my mother told me to sit up straight or stand up straight. Both of these help place our bodies in a position to breathe more deeply and get the most from our muscles and our lungs.

After these basic improvements, before implants, I believe it is possible for people to continue as soon after implatation as the Dr. would recommend to help maintain these benefits and build on them as the implants take effect.

Take care of yourself and stay in touch when you can. By the way, I know you are busy, but take a moment now to SLOW DOWN and TAKE A DEEP BREATH -- you've earned it!

Sincerely,
PowerLung, Inc.
Carolyn Morse
800.903.3087 Toll Free
www.powerlung.com

Pat S

Pioneer Founding member
Using the Power Lung

I have a newly acquired green Power Lung. I just visited the Power Lung connection and went through their manual to see if my question was addressed. It wasn't. Maybe somebody here can help me?

The exhale function is set at 1, yet I can't totally exhale in the 3 seconds. Should I just keep exhaling into the Power Lung after the 3 seconds until I feel it's time to release NOW!? Or after the 3 seconds, drop the Power Lung and complete the exhale?

Thanks!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Setting adjustments

Can you exhale with it set at a higher setting? If you are easily taking in too much air and not being able to exhale it, then you need to adjust the settings. You can also call the PowerLung people for additional ideas and suggestions. They are super nice and willing to help with anything.