Please help--where do I begin?

Mysty119

I registered to this site months ago. I just don't know where to start with the process of stem cell transplant. I have been evaluated for a lung transplant but am told (after doing all the pulmonary rehab, etc) that I am "too" healthy right now to get on the transplant list. An internet friend told me some things about the stem cell process, but I need to know where to begin!!! Do I has my own doctor here about it? (I live in New York State). Who do I contact? How do I make initial contact with the people that harvest the cells? I've been told by my friend that he will be going to SanDiego for the cells and then on to Mexico for the actual transplant process. Does anyone know of places here in New York State or on the east coast that do the harvesting? I'd appreciate anyone's information on the above questions. Thanks so much and God Bless.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Much to learn

SCB has recently opened a clinic in the Cayman Islands. This would be the closest for you if you are looking for close. Stem cell therapy for pulmonary patients is not available in the U.S. at this time. I would be happy to give you more information if you want it. The clinics I know of that are treating lung conditions are in Mexico, Cayman, Germany, Costa Rica and Argentina. Please let me know if you need site addresses, approximate prices, etc. and I will send them to you via e-mail. You can e-mail me the request right here on the forum. Go to members, click on B, then Barbara and then e-mail me. I know others will be glad to chime in also about where to begin. We usually do not post prices on the open forum except to give price ranges, so that is why I am suggesting a private e-mail. You are in a dilemma that many have. Too healthy supposedly for a lung transplant and yet not really able to live a normal life while you wait for your disease to progress to the point that you qualify for a transplant which may or may not give you the life you hope for. You might want to check out posts by Tony on this forum. He has had a transplant and is now hoping to have stem cell therapy. I think you will find his posts very informative.

Last edited:

Mysty119

Heavens, yes!!!!

Thank you so much for your quick reply. And the "internet" friend I was speaking of was Tony Hamel!!!!! (Small world.) I've been conversing with him for over a year now. First on lung transplant and now on stem cell. He is very good about answering questions and filling people in on things!!
And---heavens, yes---I would love to have whatever information you have. I'd like the site addresses, prices and any travel info for Mexico and the Caymen Islands also. These are the places that transplant the stem cells, correct? Would you happen to know of places (hospitals--the people who harvest the cells) near me? And, what (or who) is SCB?? As you can tell, I'm pretty "green" on the subject.