Pizer figures out a way to get its hand in the pie

yorkere

Pfizer's Entry

This may wind up providing a means for establishing rational dialog with the FDA...at least it may help to accelerate a growing public awareness of the current policy climate regarding stem cell therapies and current restrictions on use of these therapies within the U.S.

hlichten

Super Moderator
I pretty much agree with Yorkere, but I see both good and bad with this. In some cases the bad is also good, as follows:

The Good:

• We want to unlock the true power of stem cells, and make the key discovery that I feel is looming out there on the near horizon. I think this helps us get there, and likely helps get us there more quickly.
  • It generally takes scientists to make key scientific discoveries (although anyone could theoretically make one) and those scientists will likely be either university or a private sector company. Having a private sector company, like Pfizer in collaboration with a great university (such as University College of London) is a good thing.
  • It does not matter what country a key discovery is made in. If it is deemed to be important enough, it will have global impact in short order.
  • We will finally get some test results that are likely peer-reviewable, and we may discover what the best delivery methods for various stem cell treatments are. For example, a COPD patient could get the same stem cells right now via IV, direct injection, nebulizer and other delivery methods. Drug company involvement will likely prove the best delivery method.

The Bad:

• Companies like Pfizer (and like Osiris) are interested in "value added" ingredients in their "stem cell potions", which I will refer to as "secret ingredients", such as growth and other factors. Without secret ingredients being part of a drug companies "stem cell cocktail", there would be little added value to their product. Without added value, a drug company can not make billions. Without billions to be made, there is no attraction for a drug company to bring a stem cell product to market. I hope that you can see the sense in this logic.

The not-so bad, maybe good:

• It is quite likely that some manipulation of A-ASC's is needed to achieve a potent stem cell concoction based on our own cells. Some (but few) clinics give raw marrow back to the patient. Some expand the cells, and some differentiate. It is quite likely that a drug company (or university lab) may discover that a far different manipulation of our own cells is the best way to go. This would be a good thing, overall, but it would mean that treatments would not become very inexpensive quickly.
  • Also, if a new manipulation or other factors are discovered, then our cells will not simply be our cells, and the FDA would THEN be correct in calling newly manipulated A-ASC's as drugs. (I am sorry, but this would then be at least somewhat true) :(
  • Of course, the key scientific stem cell discovery we are waiting for could be based on A-ASC's, umbilical cord-based, embryonic or other cells. We just don't know yet.

More good:

• If the USA overhauls healthcare, and can produce a single-payer health care system, then any approved stem cell treatment would be covered, the drug companies would get their money (although far fewer billions of dollars) and we would get free stem cell treatments.
  • So, it is my belief that we can fight for legalization of the use of our own cells in our own bodies (A-ASC's) but a far more effective use of them could be close by down-the-road if science can be adequately funded.
  • Those of us who have had treatments already have been on the bleeding edge of science discovery. We are Stem Cell Pioneers, but I believe that the best is definitely yet to come!
  • I am a firm believer that we need true science to get where we need to go with stem cells, and that funding is funding, and will ultimately get us where we need to go.
  • The fight with FDA will be to keep good inventions from being hindered, to keep bad ones from being rushed to market for the sake of money, all the same issues that we currently face with the FDA and any new drug.
  • The struggle to make A-ASC's (our own autologous adult cells) legal for re-introduction into our own bodies needs to continue to be waged until such time that it is proven that an off-the shelf drug company's product adds value to a stem cell treatment and produces results that are far superior to those that can be achieved through the use of A-ASC's.

Get information on this movement at ASCTA's website:
http://safestemcells.org.

Last edited: