Pending FDA Nod

zar

Pending FDA Nod, S.D. Stem Cell Outfit Offers Treatment in Tijuana

Sep 13, 2007
Amy Isackson
SEND TO A FRIEND PRINT THIS PAGE

SHARE THIS: DEL.ICIO.US | DIGG | STUMBLEUPON
A San Diego-based stem cell company has found fertile ground in Tijuana to offer stem cell treatments not yet approved in the United States. Stemedica has partnered with a Tijuana hospital to offer adult stem cells to patients who've exhausted other options. KPBS reporter Amy Isackson has the story.

Stemedica CEO Maynard Howe says his sister-in-law was paralyzed from the neck down in a car accident three years ago. He says she exhausted her therapy options in the United States but was still unable to move. Howe, who was retired, says he and his brother found a Russian company that offered treatment using adult stem cells.

Howe: And after her first treatment, she was able to stand up. Eight months later, after her second treatment, she was able to drive a car with hand controls, bathe herself. And we basically came out of retirement and said, ?This is something that we cannot let go.?

Howe and his brother acquired the rights to the technology. They've partnered with Tijuana's Hospital Angeles while the company seeks FDA approval.

However, a spokesman for San Diego County's Medical Society says using Tijuana's more liberal medical climate to provide unconventional therapy is inappropriate and can create false hope.

Amy Isackson, KPBS News.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
thanks for the heads up

I have sent this company an invite to visit our website and also advertise their company here. I think it's exciting that so many are taking matters into their own hands even though the US is bogged down in bureaucracy.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
viv

This is our own Ed Johns. He is one of our members and a wonderful man who went to the same clinic we did and on the same day even.

When we met him he was there for a booster and with his "very entertaining" father. His mother accompanied him on his first trip.

Before I receive a flurry of questions, keep in mind that those with spinal cord and nervous system damage typically require a booster. This is not the case with COPD.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mexicos liberal medical climate

I read the article Zar posted and had to laugh. The San Diego Medical Society is now using the excuse that Mexico's liberal medical climate provides false hope and unconventional treatments. I guess they didn't read the progress this woman was making. False hope when thousands are now having to leave the U.S. because we have fallen behind with a new technology that other countries have the vision to see as something that not only gives hope, it works? This is not Laetrile or copper bracelets or anything else. This is bio technology in the 21st century. It is almost embarrassing to see a comment like that made from a medical society in the U.S. as I am a citizen of the U.S. I think a more appropriate comment would be, " Since we are not allowed to do this treatment in the U.S. because of the FDA, we have chosen to downgrade and place doubts on it. It is not conventional medicine (which by the way we makes gobs of money doing, not to mention all the drugs we prescribe), so therefore we would hate to see our patients get a treatment as simple as this that would eliminate all the surgeries and lifetime regimen of medications that we like to dole out. The patients wellness is really not of our concern".

If they had stepped up to the plate like that, then perhaps I would give them some credibility. Since they haven't, I will applaud those countries with their far-sighted liberal medical policies they have that cause them to go outside the box and actually try to give hope and restore health to people.