oxyegen on the plane

karl wagner

I'm leaving on march 2 to the dominican Republic for stem cell treatment. Can anyone tell me how much additioal o2 is needed for a 2 hour plane ride. I,m on 1.5 sitting down now. Will 6 lph ( airplane max setting ) be enough to keep me in the ninetys on the plane. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
I flew from Boston to San Diego last April for stem cell treatment.

It was a 6 hour flight and at that time I needed a minimum of 2LPM while sitting and 3lpm while exercising or doing strenuous things.

I used a Sequal Eclipse during my flight at 2.5 lpm was enough to keep my Saturation over 90. Only once did I need to set it higher for about 5 minutes.

What type of oxygen do you plan to use on the plane?

hlichten

Super Moderator
I'm leaving on march 2 to the dominican Republic for stem cell treatment. Can anyone tell me how much additioal o2 is needed for a 2 hour plane ride. I,m on 1.5 sitting down now. Will 6 lph ( airplane max setting ) be enough to keep me in the ninetys on the plane. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Karl:
Where are you having treatment?
I wish you the very, very best luck with it!!!

As for O2, I have flown with airline O2, and understood that they offered up to 8lpm. If you are interested in airline-provided O2, keep in mind that some airlines offer only canula, and some offer only mask. Whatever they offer is what they offer, and they will not vary the delivery method.

Nor will they let you switch out a canula for a mask yourself, or vice versa.

Take care!

Mysty119

Jeanine

Am I correct in assuming that the O2 that you mentioned you had on your trip was the portable liquid oxygen?

karl wagner

Karl Wagner

I'm going with Regenacyte in bonito springs and the Dominican Republic. It was not my first choice. I wanted to go to x-cell center in colone Germany but the 9 hour plane ride would be to much .Ive had trouble with plane rides and high altitude all my life. I picked these people because they seem to specialize in circulation problems which is what I have ( pulmonary hypertention ) or high blood pressure in the lungs . The blood vessels are narrowing and eventually close causing right heart failure. I can breath normally in fact I can pick up my desk and throw it across the room but anthing more than walking farther than two rooms in the house my sat meter goes in the 80's quick, And getting quicker all the time, they gave me 3 years 2 years ago. PPh is very rare and hard to diagnose ( 500 cases a year in us ) but if this works for me there are thousands of people that would have hope. Just the hope gives such a better quality of life. Even if it is cut short you can spend better time with family and freinds.They have hade big results in India . 12 people , 10 had 25% to 50% reduction in ph pressure ( huge ).

As far as o2 I'm hooked on liquide but am going to try to condition myself to compressed air again. Thats all they serve on the plane. I don't care if the ride over there tortures me It's the ride back , if i hit 85 it could kill my $50,000 cells . Any tricks of the trade are greatly appreciated.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Karl

You could also rent a portable concentrator that you can use on the plane as well as for your trip. Here's a very reputable company that rents them

http://www.traveloxygen.org/

I bought an Eclipse in laste 2006 and used it for this trip also. I liked it because you can take it on the plane (American Airlines is the best) as well as use it while away from home. It is the ONLY portable with continuous flow up to 3lpm and pulse up to 6lpm.

Tell Craig or Gordon that I referred you. I use liquid oxygen and found this very easy to adapt to. I used to use my Eclipse on a daily basis after I got home from work but it's been sitting idle behind the chair in my living room for several months now.

Best of luck to you, and I will be glad to answer any questions you might have.

tkubinski123

O2 on plane

Karl I just returned from Caymans Saturday the trip went well. I had rented an OnegenOne unit to take on the plane which is approved. It comes with rwo batteries, however they will only allow one on the flight I took. {batteries are good for three hours at 2lpm} Make sure you have a letter ORIGINAL WITH YOUR DOCTORS SIGNATURE AND THERE IS A FORM THAT THE FAA REQUIRES ALSO contact the airline you will be flying to confirm what I have written. Medicare paid for the rental. I hope This helps you. My phone No. 770-822-4666 feel free to call.
Best Regards
tom

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Hello Tom

Tom - Welcome back. I would love to hear how everything went. How long were you in the Cayman Islands? I did have an e-mail from another member who said that the treatment is given by an American doctor who has lived in Grand Cayman for ten years. If you feel up to it, please post a little about your treatment day. Thank you.

Mysty119

Jeannine---

I was re-reading your posting on 2-15 on the subject of O2 for the plane. I have a couple of questions for you regarding the portable oxygen concentrator. 1) Does the portable concentrator have a water bottle with it like the big room concentrators have, or is it dry oxygen?
2) You said you used to use it after you got home from work. Did you also have a large O2 concentrator in your house?
3) Did you pay for the portable by yourself, or did Medicare help pay for it? If Medicare helped pay for it: a) how much did you have to pay and b) did the portable replace the large concentrator??
I have a large concentrator and have had one since about 2002. I need it when I sleep and for exertion of any kind. What I'm trying to find out is how I could possible get the portable "in place of" the large one. But I need to know if it has water as taking "dry" oxgen for more than a couple of hours tends to dry out the nasal passages.

rosech44

Inogen One

Hi---I Rented An Inogen One For My Trip To San Diego, It Was Great Using It In The Car, Etc. And On The Trip To Mexico, But It Does Not Replace The Big Concentrator, Especially If You Have Sleep Apnea As I Do---it Is Not Made To Run Those Machines----but, It Is A Great Little Machine For Portable Oxygen. IT COST ME $75.00 A WEEK---I HAD IT FOR 2 WEEKS, THEY CHARGED ME FOR ONE

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
was re-reading your posting on 2-15 on the subject of O2 for the plane. I have a couple of questions for you regarding the portable oxygen concentrator. 1) Does the portable concentrator have a water bottle with it like the big room concentrators have, or is it dry oxygen?
2) You said you used to use it after you got home from work. Did you also have a large O2 concentrator in your house?
3) Did you pay for the portable by yourself, or did Medicare help pay for it? If Medicare helped pay for it: a) how much did you have to pay and b) did the portable replace the large concentrator??
I have a large concentrator and have had one since about 2002. I need it when I sleep and for exertion of any kind. What I'm trying to find out is how I could possible get the portable "in place of" the large one. But I need to know if it has water as taking "dry" oxgen for more than a couple of hours tends to dry out the nasal passages.

Mysty
I will try to answer your questions

1.THe portable doesn't have a water bottle on it. I don't think you can add a water bottle.
2. I also have a large concentrator that is in my bedroom so I used have my portable next to my charir in the living room. I don't need it anymore so it's been put away.
3. I paid for my portable because If I had insurance pay for it they would have taken away the large one in my bedroom. I'm not on Medicare as I work full time.
4. I have a large concentrator in my bedroom for sleeping and I have Helios liquid oxygen for taking long walks or doing strenuous things.

I suggest that you rent a portable for your trip rather than have insurance pay for it because you would then lose your larger concentrator.