Osiris trials for COPD in SC and CA and VT

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Too long to wait for the real deal for me

And as Danny found out, you have to be at least 40 years old. I think the maximum is 80. I am grateful that the Osiris trials are taking place, but for me having to be in a trial for two years knowing I got a placebo would be unacceptable. If the stem cell therapy they are using works even a little bit, believe me you would know whether you got the real deal or not in just a few days or weeks in my opinion. If anyone has two years to devote to their study, then I would say go for it if you qualify. You might just get lucky and not get the placebo.

Ed in NH

Not sure I get your previous post Barbara. Do you think that this prochymal stem cells won't work or will be innefective?

I think I read somewhere that this line of stem cells, for cardiac patients, demonstrated a 17 point improvement in lung function. Not sure what that means exactly (is that FEV1??), but it sounds impressive.

I am very hopeful for this trial. At least we are now seeing COPD and stem cell research together. This is great news.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Ed - No, I am not saying that what Osiris is using won't work. I am saying that for me waiting for two years to have it confirmed if I were in the group that got placebos is not really something I would want to do. I may amend my previous post to say that effects may not be felt for a couple of months in some cases, but I would think if you were in the group that got the real deal, you are going to know fairly quickly. If a person can easily qualify for a trial, it may be the solution to getting therapy without shelling out a lot of money, but most trials have strict criteria and people that need treatment the most will in many cases be excluded as they can't qualify. As I said, I am very pleased that the trials are taking place. It is progress. I just don't have the patience is all.

arichardn5

i wonder how many people in need feel left out?

i wonder as to how many people in need of a chance to get healthier feel left out because of the fev1 at 30% requirement by orisis. i know i did when i first read about the trial being offered as my fev1 is about 26-27%. i believe that they take the healthier subjects with higher fev1 readings because they want their trials to look better statistically so they can make a ton of money when they market it. its like the very needy for a treatment with little money for a treatment are left behind with feelings of little hope on a possible trial....richard

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
arichard

I felt left out as well. It was even worse than that. I asked to participate in the Burlington VT trial directly to the doctor running the trial as I know him personally. I was willing to drive up there as often as necessary too as I live about 2 hours south. HE said no because he was only recruiting people who live in Burlington VT. Burlington VT has a population of about 27,000 so good luck to him in finding the appropriate people. What I found even more ridiculous was that they would accept an 80-year old before someone who was 30 who had COPD because they were too young.

So you couldn't be too young or too sick. I agree with you 100%