Obama forms new commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
While they are studying and making sure that everything is ethical, I hope they will address the question of why we are being denied use of our own stem cells for stem cell therapy in the U.S. How ethical is it, to let millions die while the FDA and Big Pharma figure out how to maximize profits? This should be the first topic for this newly formed commission. It's too urgent to be ignored any longer. Send your comments to the White House and tell them so!

The White House Wednesday announced the formation of a new Presidential Commission for the Study Bioethical Issues and tapped Emory University President James W. Wagner as its vice chairman.

The commission will advise President Barack Obama on issues of bioethical importance as new technologies and research in biosciences emerge. The commission will be chaired by University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann.

?The Commission will work with the goal of identifying and promoting policies and practices that ensure scientific research, health care delivery, and technological innovation are conducted in an ethically responsible manner,? the White House said in a statement.

?As our nation invests in science and innovation and pursues advances in biomedical research and health care, it?s imperative that we do so in a responsible manner,? Obama said in a White House news release. ?This new Commission will develop its recommendations through practical and policy-related analyses. I am confident that Amy and Jim will use their decades of experience in both ethics and science to guide the new Commission in this work, and I look forward to listening to their recommendations in the coming months and years.?

Wagner has served as Emory?s president since 2003. During his tenure, he enhanced the role and prominence of the university?s Center of Ethics. He has previously served Emory as the university?s provost and vice president. He is a former interim president at Case Western Reserve University. Wagner also was a Food and Drug Administration researcher for nearly a decade.