Novel Stem Cell Procedure for Spine Surgeries

Jan

Pioneer Founding member
Three Surgeons in East Texas Are Successfully Integrating a Novel Stem Cell Procedure for Spine Surgeries

Stem Cell Technologies for Surgery

TEXARKANA, Texas, June 5 /PRNewswire/ -- A new breakthrough in adult stem cell technology has three Texarkana neurosurgeons leading their industry by utilizing concentrated stem cells for spine surgery. The innovative technique is improving the desired results of surgical interventions for back pain. Leading researchers in the orthopedic and spine industry are predicting the latest developments in this field of medicine will become mainstream practice and, potentially, a standard of care for surgical treatments of severe back pain.

Dr. Lee Buono, Dr. Freddie Contreras, and Dr. J. Brett Dietze of Texarkana Neurological Associates are utilizing the new procedure that harnesses the healing potential of adult stem cells from a patient's own body. During surgeries for the neck and back, bone marrow is extracted from the hip through a small incision. The marrow is processed by an FDA-approved device and the living cells are delivered back to the surgeon in a concentrated dose to be implanted back into a patient to promote healing.

"We pride ourselves on our ability to offer the latest medical technology, right here in Texarkana. Improving our patient's quality of life is our number-one focus. This procedure is on the cutting edge of regenerative spine surgeries; it is a resource that must be considered as a standard for healing," Dr. Buono said. Dr. Dietze adds, "Biological graft materials have become a standard accessory in neurosurgery - autologous iliac crest autograft being the gold standard. Autologous bone graft is likely traumatic and time-consuming. My personal commitment to my patients to offer the most current advancements and treatment options is also an expectation held unanimous by Texarkana Neurological Associates. This surgical approach is without arguments on the cutting edge; the potential outcomes utilizing this technology may create an option for even the most critical patient. This is minimally invasive, efficient, safe and effective. The concentrations of endothelial progenitor cells, hematopoietic stem cells, and mesenchymal stem cells have adhesion properties that ensure the cells remain localized where we need them to promote tissue growth and healing. Surprisingly, the process takes only 15-20 minutes without adding time to the surgery."

Texarkana Neurological Associates are establishing themselves as the leaders in cutting-edge surgical care. Now more patients from East Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana will benefit from these promising procedures. Dr. Dietze, Dr. Contreras, and Dr. Buono are the first surgeons in the region to utilize the new technology and look forward to working with the local surgeons and medical staff to encourage widespread adoption to benefit all patients in need of cell therapy.

"As a neurosurgeon, I pride myself on the ability to offer my patient the most current, and proven, procedures. I am utilizing BMAC(R) from Harvest Technologies, which is truly on the cutting edge of medical technology, highly credible research from respected surgeons and top-tier institutions support its potential advantage to aid in faster healing time and favorable postoperative outcomes. BMAC(R) provides an efficacious, minimally invasive system to utilize a patient's autologous bone marrow, which science has shown to contain high numbers of adult stem cells. By concentrating these cells safely, and quickly, I can measurably increase the potential to possibly achieve exceptional outcomes. I have always committed to provide a level of skill, knowledge and care to compete with anyone in the country; I believe this product could greatly improve a patient's own natural healing potential, and positively impact their quality of life," said Dr. Contreras.

As the population ages, incidents of spinal degeneration will likely continue to increase. The potential of stem cells and regenerative medicine is virtually limitless for treatments of degenerative diseases since adult stem cells have the remarkable potential to differentiate and become new tissues such as bone, tendon, cartilage and heart muscle.

About Texarkana Neurological Associates

Texarkana Neurological Associates provides Texarkana and the surrounding community with neurosurgical services. Dr. Contreras concentrates his practice on surgery of the spine. Dr. Dietze and Dr. Buono perform both spinal and intracranial surgical procedures.

903-794-4196
Fax: 903-792-7408
Email: neurosurgerytx@cableone.net
http://www.neurosurgerytexarkana.com
1002 Texas Boulevard,
Suite 406
Texarkana, TX 75501