News from my Congressman

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This is a little dated, but I just received this today from Congressman Perlmutter. Personally, I am not all that excited by this news, but perhaps it will at least pave the way for more stem cell research. If anyone from another country has any legislative news, I would be interested in hearing what is going on around the world as far as making stem cell treatment available where you live.

Bulletin Board

Rep. Perlmutter Votes with Majority of House to Support Stem Cell Research
Calls on President to Show His Compassionate Conservatism and Sign the Bill

June 7, 2007

By Leslie Oliver

WASHINGTON, DC ? Today, U.S. Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO-07) voted along with a bipartisan majority in the House of Representatives to give hope to millions of Americans by expanding scientists? access to embryonic stem cell lines.

The measure, S. 5, passed the House by a vote of 247 to 176.

?This is a bill that holds promise for millions of people across the country,? stated Perlmutter from the floor of the House. ?I?m a father of a daughter with a chronic illness, and this is the kind of research that could help my daughter not to have any more seizures.?

The House had passed a similar bill (H.R. 3) as part of the ?100 Hours Agenda? in January. The Senate then passed S. 5 in April. By passing the Senate-passed S. 5 today, the House is sending the bill directly to the President?s desk.

This bill expands the federal funding of embryonic stem cell research by lifting the restrictions on the embryonic stem cell lines that can be used for federally-funded research ? restrictions that were imposed by President Bush in 2001. Most of the stem cell lines authorized for federally-funded research under the President?s policy now are no longer useful for research. However, the bill only authorizes federal research funds for stem cell lines generated from embryos that would otherwise be discarded by fertility clinics. The bill also creates an ethical framework that must be followed in conducting this research under the guidance of the National Institutes of Health.

?This legislation offers the possibility and promise to every father, mother, brother and sister who wants to have hope for their friends and their family,? said Perlmutter. ?I want to compliment my colleagues on both sides of the aisle for giving my family hope and promise by passing this bill.?

?With this legislation, Congress is making a real difference to millions of Americans. I call on President Bush to show that he is a compassionate conservative and sign this bill,? stated Perlmutter.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Both the House and the Senate passed this bill by the way. The President used his first veto in 5 1/2 years to quash it. Even Republican leaders tried to override his veto. My congressman just sent this to me today. It is to let me know that he is for stem cell research, but it is dated information and like Harv says a moot point until a new President comes into office. Again, I would like to hear how other countries are dealing with this issue and what progress is being made where our overseas members live.

zar

wait? slowly but surely everyone will head east

The speed of studies conducted in China has also contributed to the country's appeal, as is the low cost base the country is able to offer to those partaking in the high risk world of drug discovery. According to a recent report published by the UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) department, the local Chinese industry estimates that Phase I trials can be conducted in China for around 15 per cent of the equivalent cost in a Western country, while Phase II studies cost 20 per cent of the price in the west. China also has a large and untapped domestic market which further adds to its attraction.

Even so, a recent survey reveals that Western pharma companies are still largely shying away from outsourcing preclinical work to Asia.

Lehman Brothers carried out the survey, and only 32 per cent of those interviewed said their companies were planning to outsource preclinical studies to Asia, and even then, nobody said they planned to do this "immediately".

For those planning to shy away from Asia for the indefinite future, the biggest hurdles cited in the survey were distance, intellectual property risks, and lack of quality control in how studies are carried out.

"While most respondents did not plan on outsourcing preclinical studies to Asia, there was interest, although it still remains off the horizon", said Lehman Brothers Equity Research analysts Douglas Tsao and Lawrence Marsh.

For the majority of companies, it appears to be more of a long-term plan, with 30 per cent stating they would wait five years or longer; 26 per cent said 4 years; 20 per cent indicated they would wait 3 years; while only 14 per cent intended to do so in 2 years; and 11 per cent within the next 12 months.

"Almost half indicated they expected to begin outsourcing studies to Asia within the next three years", said the analysts.

"Interestingly, we suspect this roughly matches the timeline that the major US preclinical services providers are expected to begin offering [good laboratory practice] GLP- compliant testing services in China".

Charles River Laboratories is scheduled to begin GLP-testing in the country in 2009 and Covance is expected to soon follow suit, the analysts said.